Cake baked in Pressure Cooker!!

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by vadapallisudha, Mar 13, 2011.

1. vadapallisudha

vadapallisudha Gold IL'ite

Who says cakes can be baked in OTG’s or Microwave Oven’s; remember the old method of baking cakes on “stove” in a special dish put on a tray filled with sand. Well today I am going to share a similar method of baking cakes using our regular pressure cooker!!

All u need is an Aluminum dish to bake the cake and a 5 Ltr Pressure Cooker(preferably Hawkins ,actually the normal cooker will also work but the cooker whos lid closes from inside traps the heat better) and the ‘Cooker Plate’ which has holes in it. If u don’t have one u can use either an small plate which fits into the cooker or the best alternative is “Sand”. The cooker plate or sand is to raise the baking dish from touching the heat or the cooker base.

Ingredients:

1 ¾ th Cup – Maida or Wheat Flour ;
    1 Cup –Powdered Sugar or normal Sugar ;
    1 Cup – Milk ;
    100 gms Butter ;
    2 – Eggs ;
    1 ½ tsp –Baking Powder ;
    1 tsp – Vanilla Essence ;
    3-4 tsp – Coco Powder(optional)
    A fist full of nuts or coarsely crushed dry fruits (optional)

Method:

Before u prepare the batter get the baking dish greased and dusted with maida and keep aside.
    Prepare the cooker to pre-heat. If u have the cooker plate, place it and don’t pour any water .If u have chosen for alternative of sand spread the sand at about 1 inch and place the cooker on stove on medium flame.and place the lid(need not close it,just place it on the cooker).
    Now prepare the batter -
    First sieve all flours(maida,baking pow,coco pow,etc) least twice;
    Beat the eggs using an egg beater or with the whipper blade in the mixer till it turns pluffy and white.
    Pour this to the flour mix and add sugar and stir,
    Melt the butter and add to the mix and keep stirring to avoid any lumps,
    U would notice the batter getting stiff , now pour vanilla essence and milk little by little and stir, add the curshed nuts too.
    Adjust milk till the batter comes to the form of ripple falling when u raise the ladle.
    Now pour the batter into the baking dish and put it in the cooker which is being pre-heated.
    Put down the flame to LOW, close the lid and DO NOT PUT THE WHISTEL.
    The cake takes approx 40-45 min to cook. Check after 40 min with a fork or an tooth pick,if it comes out clean then turn off the flame and leave the cake stay in the cooker for another 15min. This helps the upper and lower crust form. If the fork doesn’t come out clean ,cook for another couple of min till it comes clean.
    After 15min of turning off the flame bring out the cake and let it cool for another 5-10min and turn it into a plate and enjoy!!

ALWAYS REMEMBER THE COOKER LID SHOULD HAVE THE GASKET AND NO WHISTEL IN THE PROCESS OF BAKING THE CAKE!!

send in ur feedbacks!
    sudha
    sorry guys tried attaching the pic of the cake i made in this process, but some trouble shooting in the process.But don't forget to give it a try!

2. syndirya

syndirya Senior IL'ite

Thanks for sharing dear!

3. shameel

shameel Silver IL'ite

Thanks for sharing this recipe with us, will try it and give feedback.

4. ranjuz

ranjuz Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Nice recipe... But do u know how to make it without egg?

5. poorni satheesh

poorni satheesh Bronze IL'ite

Sudha,
    Thanks for the procedure.Will try it and give you the feedback.

Regards,
    Poorni

6. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

Baking cakes or making pop corn in an aluminum pressure cooker is a strict NO... NO...

Aluminium is annealed at the temperatures and loses sterength. All performance guarantees are void if such dry heating is done. The gasket will also get damaged. In case of any abnormal pressures developing in subsequent pressure cooking, such annealed cookers can have a hot burst with usually disastrous consequences.

This issue was discussed many years back at Indian Standards Institution in Delhi. I had participated in that meeting.

Decades back Hindustan Lever introduced a cake mix. They came to my house and demonstrated baking the cake in our aluminium cooker. I was not home. I found the cooker completely annealed and the lugs out of shape when I returned. We stopped using that for pressure cooking.

Stainless Steel cookers will not get annealed under these conditions. However, the gasket will still get hardened.

Please desist.

Arunadhri

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  7. LLavanya

LLavanya Gold IL'ite

Super will try this week end...Thanks for sharing

8. radhi4ru

radhi4ru Senior IL'ite

Hi Sudha!

Can u tell me how to prepare eggless cake in presure cooker..?

9. vadapallisudha

vadapallisudha Gold IL'ite

Hi ranjuz and radhi.
    To prepare an eggless cake, my mom used to add 1/2 cup -refined oil or add condensed milk -1 cup and reduce the quantity of sugar she adds 1/2tsp of baking soda too.
    I have never tried without egg.

In an eggless cake of the above quantity recipe u would require 1/2cup of refined oil; 100gms butter;1 1/2tsobaking pow & 1/2tsp soda. As u beat the egg to fluffy, here u beat oil,butter and sugar pow for 1min till fluffy

bye!
    sudha

10. smartgrl

smartgrl Bronze IL'ite

very nice..reminds me of my grand-mom who does the same way.
    she is no more