1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

By love, Of love, For love

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by CharuKaur, Nov 6, 2007.

1. CharuKaur

CharuKaur Senior IL'ite

The other day when I was talking to my MIL on the telephone, she discussed about the upcoming karvachauth. I was taken aback! :eek:mg:

My marriage is about 6 months old and the two of us belong to different religions. While it’s a much appreciated event in my husband’s family; my religion does not recognize the ritual of Karvachauth. It was the first time after my marriage that the cultural differences in our religions had come up – more so because we have been staying in the US ever since we got married and did not get much of a chance to participate in the family festivities, traditional ceremonies etc. back in India.

Since, karvachauth was never celebrated in my family, I was hardly aware about the ceremonies to be done during the day. In fact, I had never even attended any karvachauth gathering (katha) ever in my life. All I knew was that married women fast for the long lives of their husbands (which sounded a little opposed to the female identity liberalization concept though ).
    Well, I decided to celebrate the day partly because of the excitement associated with the preparations and partly because my MIL wanted me to. Although, it was nothing more than a mere custom to be performed, for me.

My husband was a big support thru out the day – especially coz it was my first time and I didn’t have the faintest of ideas of the events or the sequence of activities and all. But later in the evening, my ignorance bubble burst and out of the blues it just occur to me – its all about faith!
    I had read a story somewhere, that once Jesus brought a dead girl to life and then denied being responsible for it. Rather he suggested that her parents’ faith had brought alive the child and not him.

I realized, karvachauth was not merely a religious ritual but the belief - a token of love for the husbands. And it’s this belief that fuels a marriage and keeps the relationship going - by love, of love, for love!

I thoroughly enjoyed my first ever karvachauth and would love to do it every year! Not coz of any traditional/religious significance to it but because of my belief in love!

May love always rule!
    Happy married life ladies
    Cheers!
    Charu..

2. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Charu,

I liked your reason for following Karvachauth... Though in south it is no there.... I have heard of this, and seen how the husbands run home early from the offices in order to be there in time for their wifes breaking the fast...

Finally, all the traditions culminates down to faith and the love for the person for which it is being done.... Great...

May God bless you and your hubby a long and happy married life...

3. CharuKaur

CharuKaur Senior IL'ite

Dear Vysan

Thanks so much for your kind words and blessings :redface:
    Have a nice day ahead!
    Charu..

4. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hi Charu

What you said is very true ! It was my first karwa chauth too, I have been seeing this in my family, my mom and my sister observing it... but only when i observed it i understood the actual meaning of it. Yes, It is all about Faith... Faith is what makes a god out of an IDOL... Faith can work wonders.

~Abha

5. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Charukaur,

I don't agree with Vysan that this is not there in south. In south we have 'Karaidaiyar Nonbu' (Nonbu means fast) when wives keep fast and pray for the long life of the husband. I used to look froward to it because of the nice 'Kozhukattais and adais' my wife used to make for the occassion. I have heard that in 'karvachauth' wives pray that the same husband should come for her in the next generations also. Ofcourse, I wonder how many wives will really pray like that. Your explanation of 'By love, of love, for love' is great.

Regards,

TDU

6. CharuKaur

CharuKaur Senior IL'ite

Dear TDU

Thanks for peeping in and adding about ''Karaidaiyar Nonbu' :)
    you know something,,,, if you would also observe this custom - fasting for your wife... your wife would definitely want to have you as her husband :thumbsup always...

Thanks for writing in and have a nice day!
    Charu..

7. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear TDU,

I beg to differ with you slightly.... Karadiyan nonbu is different... Though it is also husbands well being... The fast is not broken by the husband after seeing the moon....

Dear Charu,

If we start fasting, it becomes double punishment... Aleast my wife will not have food, without me eating... She will also threaten me saying, I will put the kids also on fast... So there we stand....

8. GayathriSundar

GayathriSundar Senior IL'ite

Vysan, TDU
    Yes Kaaradiyaar nombu is definitely different from karwaChauth though they are based on the same premise.
    Kaaradiyaar nombu is expected to be kept by all girls ... for the well being of future husband !!!!!!!!:spin... karwachauth is for married women only.
    Once I realised the significance of the nombu at the age of 13 and started understanding the words my mom wanted me to say along with her I stopped doing it ... Right or wrong I do not know...
    Anyway, I started doing it again after getting married!!

Hi Charu,
    It is said that love makes the world go around... but I believe it is faith and love that makes the world go around...atleast my world!! Absolutely loved your post... faith and love go hand in hand.
    Gayathri

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  9. CharuKaur

CharuKaur Senior IL'ite

Hi Gayathri

I have no reason to disagree with you and appreciate your thoughts :cool2:
    Thanks for peeping in!

Love
    Charu..

10. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Nice article which made understand why they do' Karvachauth'.
    As TDU Sir, said we celebrate the 'karadaiya nombu' for the welfare of the husband.

It is true that only because of 'love and faith' our prayers are answered.

sriniketan