1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Buying things with coupons in US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by srilak, Jan 11, 2008.

1. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

HI,

Everyone here in US uses coupons to buy some things such as kitchen tissues and some oils. My problem is I never use any......I buy the things whenever they reduce the price like in SAFEWAY store or in WALGREENS.

I, this year, like to master in the coupon bussiness. Where do u useually get the coupons? Is it through mails? Some companies like Longs drugs and bed beyond bath send the discounts by mail. But what about Costco. We have a costco card with other person so we useually don't get any coupon. So can I get these type of discounts through their web site. Please share your valuble experience on this.

Please guide me where do u useually look for coupons and on which products u use discounts?

The one good thing my DH says is that when we buy on coupons then we end up buying more, for that he hates with buying a thing with coupon. Do u think is it really true that we buy more things with coupons?

Please share your Ideas?

Regards
    srilak.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Re: Buy the things with coupons

Dear Srilak
    very interesting what you have written and very true too
    I collect coupons mainly thru newspaper
    I have a coupon organiser book that i keep these coupons in
    of late i have not been using a smuch
    mainly because i sometimes used to buy what i dont need but bec i had the coupon
    nowadays really cut only what is absolutely necessary.
    we can keep this thread open to share ideas?

3. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

When I googled, lots of sites popped up reg coupon...but was wondering how those things work out?Anybody tried before...pls share

4. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Initially I used to buy out thru coupons by running around many shops and wasting my time and wasting gas.
    I realized later, just to save few dollars how I used to waste my time.
    Now there is no time to look around at all, for groceries I just go to Market basket and get vegetables whatever is need for 2-3 weeks and other week go to costco for other things.
    And once in a month visit walmart for household stuffs.

~Punitha

5. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

Coupons are real good way to save money. Depending on how and when you use it , you can save lot of money. It became a hobby for me now. Though I dont do much like before I use whenever I can.

I have subscribed for Sunday only newspaper. Every sunday paper carries a bunch of coupons and ads. So look thro the ad, find whats sale going on in each store and use the coupon. Paper costs around $1 to $1.50 a week, which is a lot worth it.

Last week Target had Pampers on sale for 18.50 a box (normally it is 19.99) and u get $5 giftcard back if u buy 2 boxes. So I bought 2 boxes and used 2 $2 Pampers coupons on top of it. So savings was $9. That was a good deal for me.

Another great way to get coupons is thro trading. There are lot of forums where people trade coupons. I actually found this couponing when I was searching for formula checks for the baby. If your baby is on formula , subscribe to all formula company websites.. they will send u the checks . Trade those for whichever formula you want.
    Coupon Forum :: Index - CouponForum.com is a great site for coupon info and trading.

Reg Costco, if you have the membership card call the customer service number. They will put you in a mailing list which sends out coupon booklet sometimes. You dont need executive membership.

Grocery stores do double coupons upto some value. Meijer doubles upto 50c. Kroger triples coupon sometimes. It may not seem like too much, but savings adds up.

But dont go too overboard. Dont buy things which you wont buy usually.

looks like I wrote too much :rolleyes:. Hope this helps someone!

:)

6. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

Selvi,
    That was a gr8 deal of info...

7. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

Thanks for replies......

Selvi, u gave me an importent info that I can call Costco coustmer service to get the coupon book.....I will do it tomorrow...

Actually, when u buy it on coupon u feel good that u made some savings. Moreover I also don't want to go over board in the matter of coupons as puni mentioned.

Please someone also share how we can save money on groceries...where do u actually do your grocery shopping and how do we get coupons for that?

thank you.
    srilak

8. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

I called costco 1800 number but they said primary card member only gets the coupon book. However, I have a choice that I can ask in my local costco store to put me in mailing list. I should do this in my next visit to costco.

regards
    srilak.

9. Shilpa77

Shilpa77 Senior IL'ite

My thought is also same as others as long as you don't spend a lot!.

For grocery coupons, there are flyers in the grocery stores, you can pick them as you walk in and explore the aisle where there is a sale.

I'm vegetarian and most of the sale is for meat..

I once got a good deal for butter $1.29/box on sale as opposed to 2.30 - original price.

but the sale price was good for max of 4 boxes. You really have to explore, it does take a lot of your time unless you go with a list and confine to it.

There are also coupons for pizzas, subways, ice creams, that come in your postal mail flyer..they come in handy for kids or friday dinner..

10. libran23

libran23 Senior IL'ite