1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Buying pressure cooker

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Sriniketan, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

My pressure cooker is nearly 18years old and we are tired of buying the sealing ring and other accessories. We should have bought some new pressure cooker by this time.
    I need your help in getting one. Is the pressure cooker from India is better suited for american stoves or the ones being sold here?
    Why i am saying this is because indian vessels used on this stove made some small holes on the vessels.
    Can you please specify which is better and also the brand and the price?
    I am using the cooker nearly 3-4 times a day.
    Thanks in advance.
    Sriniketan

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007

2. birraj

birraj Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    I have both indian and american pressure cookers. Both works out really well. I bought american pressure cooker in a deal from Lnt.com and picked it in the store. It does not produce 3 or 4 whistle but we have to not the time and switch off. Works well for me.
    I have also prestige pressure cooker71/2 litre Aluminium and Premier pressure cooker 5.5 l Stainlesssteel. I like the premier best. I am also using cookers minimum once a day. If you would like to buy through online you can try hotdishes.com or dualelectronics.com both places have competitive price and ship it to you.

Hope this helps

Regards
    Birraj

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Thank you, Birraj for the helpful information. I will go through the websites given by you.
    sriniketan

4. monikakrishna76

monikakrishna76 New IL'ite

prestige is still the best, safe and trusty

5. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Big B...

Indian Cookers hands down !!!!

I have been using Hawkins for 10 years now (yes the same old) and its still in it's honeymoon phase'na paarthukoonga..

I have like 3 cookers - one for dal (1.5 lt), then a 3lt, I guess and then a very big one (rarely used it - only for get-togethers and parties).

Recently was looking to buy a new one, for Chitra amma's one whistle recipes. My friend suggested Prestige and have bought it. Even though both my amma's use Prestige, I was never a big fan of it. Used it very rarely. But heard rave reviews about it..

The american ones, I haveThans one (gift), it's a different deal altogether, works OK, but I love indian made's better :mrgreen

BTW, forgot to add the price tag. The prestige stainless, that I recently bought here is for $25, is 3 lts. Bargained it for $15 and got it ;-) (Well the sales guy was an young indian american teen with no idea about how we indian women bargain, so I was lucky I guess)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I have Manttra which is Prestige under a name they export to USA. I just switched to an Indian whistle and use it that way. I would suggest you get a model that has that thick metal flat base as this can be used nicely on ceramic if you get that type of stove in the future. Some of the other models without the flat bottom are best for gas ranges.

I think that for western models Fagor is really highly rated but its really pricey also. I have never used. I am a little interested in the electric cookers that you set and they turn themselves off. Has anyone used one of those? How was it?