Buying Platinum/Golden/Diamond Jewelleries in Singapore? Ask Here!

Discussion in 'Shopping/Restaurants in Singapore' started by AbhiSing, Mar 25, 2008.

1. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Dear Most S'pore Ilites

I would like to discuss abt the shopping for gold and platinum jewels in S'pore. It will help all the ilites around the world too who come here for shopping or in transit and not the least for residents too.

Starting with me, DH got my first gift(gold) from Mustaffa before mariage. After coming to S'pore, I used to shop at Little India Jewellers beside Tekka Market bustand, Later on migrated towards Indian Jewellers (not very sure abt their new name now, LJS or something). Can you imagine for many many years the price was around S$15. 90 /gram for 22Carat goldand we missed grabbing the opportunity and pile up the investment.bonk.
    Now I stick on to Mustaffa as the making charge is nominal and no need to bargain and the designs for solid gold jewels are OK too.
    I have not ventured into platinum jewels as they dont go well with my 22K Thali chain(mangal sutra).

How about you all guys? Where do to get your Platinum/golden moments?

2. NeerajaSur

NeerajaSur New IL'ite

Hi Vijee,

Really ? S$15. 90 /gram for 22 Carat ? Wow this must be some 5/6 years back.
    Personally I dont like mustafa jewels. A few that i have purchased have broken quickly.

I like the shop which is just besides the Tekka busstop. I dont know the shop name though. It is good designs. Infact Soon Huat is even better. But its always crowded.

Shoba.

3. sarada

sarada Senior IL'ite

Hi Vijee,
    Yes indeed, few yrs back the rate of gold around $16 per gram. Wish we could hv invested at least a bit *sigh*
    Though I am not into that much jewellery, I buy few from GMT jewellers.
    I buy two pair of bangles one for me and and one for my mother in law from mustafa.. I hardly used mine so I dont really know abt how they change..
    But dont you Ladies feel that making charges are a lot here.. Though I try to pick up jewellery with less making charges, its really very hard to pick that kind of jewellery..
    Any way, that is my view, and ppl may differ also..
    Infact, I am planning to buy a chain as Thali. so still looking out where to buy.. Any ideas Ladies?
    Regards
    Sarada

4. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Hi Shoba

Thanks for stepping in. Welcome to IL and may your stay be pleasant here.

Yes it was that low until 2003/04. Heard that Soon Huat is good also but the MC is too high there and needs bargaining.

5. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Hi sarada

Nice to hear from you too.

As you have mentioned I was also not interested in the begining and so didnt buy much. But the rising price makes me wonder whether I should have invested on gold more.Anyway its now flood over the headsWitsend.

Until 2/3 years ago there would be no making charge for most of the usual designs in Mustaffa like Thaali chains, plain chains, bangles, earrings etc. But now they put MC for these too. Even worse is the MC in the chinese jewellery shops. The minimum MC for a simple desisn would be like more than S$ 100Drowning. But some of the designs there are really unique. Have you been to Pattu Bahat jewellers? They charge high but their designs are special and lot of loyal singapore Indians buy there.

Coming back to you, my suggestion is in Thaali chains the digns are standard and you can get them from anywhere and If I were you, I will buy in Mustaffa(Mine in from there only) for the hassle free shopping. It is really a headache to bargain regarding the skyhigh MCsRant.

Happy shopping.

6. sarada

sarada Senior IL'ite

Hi Vijee,
    Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestion. I will keep going in search of a nice one heheh..:) I too heard that Batu Pahat (near little india bus stop with ezlink topup machine) is a good place to buy.. My friends used to buy from there. By the way. also heard that Meena (or Chandini) jewellers has got latest varieties.. esp the northern varieties (as told by my friends) but I havent been there. How about you?
    Also, thanks for wishing me happy shopping..
    Sarada

7. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Aha! so now our ilite has started her shopping expedition:clap. Do update the journey dear.
    I have bought some from Meena Jewellers too (sorry I forgot to mention). There too we need to bargain the MC but again lots of my relatives in S'pore, buy there only. And they recommended this shop to me.
    One of my good friends told me that Sathya Jewellers Opposite to Komala Vilas,GMT... and near the signal next to Sinma is also good. But I haven't ventured there.
    I have not bought anything from Chandini's except I do drool at the designs but dare not buy due to our culprit MC again. Did you ever go to Lalitha Jewellers near Indian Jewellers?
    In 2002/2003, there used to be a very small shop called GRT jewellers ,few shops away from the Indian jewellers. It was actually a Thinnai Kadai in one corner at the entrance of the shoPS.There used to be lots of Cute studs,small necklaces with reasonable MC. At that time, I was working too and It was our favourite after work hang out atleast once a month and bought some nice pieces there too. Dont know where they went now. All of a sudden the shop disappeared:thumbsdown. I got my nose pierced in that shop :cry:.

Happy shopping

8. sarada

sarada Senior IL'ite

haha Vijee. I havent set my foot yet..
    may be in the coming few weeks I try to go see first..
    I never been to chandini and also the jewellers you were mentioning.
    As I told, I am not that interested in that much of jewellery.

Bytheway, did u try the thai gold jewellery?? Its the latest trend around the women here.. I havent go to buy but my friends have bought..
    They say its thai gold (I am not sure whats that) but the designs are pretty good with moderate expensive ruby etc etc.
    I happen to see few designs from my friends:)

meanwhile happy shopping to you too :)

9. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Thai jewellery?!! What is it? I havent heard about it. Can you please provide some more info about the shops,price of gold,MC etc?

One important thing Sarada, dont think that I bought the jewelleries (previously mentioned), for me. my relatives in India always ask me to buy singapore gold for them. Also my mom bought some for my sister, who got married this year. Also bought quite a lot for my MIL,cosister, etc . So whenever I visit India I go around the jewellery shops to buy for others:roll:. Hmmm now you know my full story.

10. sarada

sarada Senior IL'ite

Hi Vijee..
    aaha, now I know the full story .:hiya I thought that you buy and pile up.. (but dont wear..since u said that you are not that interested.)

Regarding Thai jewellery, I think its not really gold, but a kind of gold plated.. which comes under fashion jewellery..
    This jeweller travels to Thailand and get them done there and bring to Singapore to buy.
    The pricing depends on the set actually.
    I saw a ruby set (not the original ruby, but when she find out in India, it seems they said its a bit worth).. which comes with long chain full of ruby (around 16'' if i am not wrong or may be more than that) bracelet, earrings cost around $90. and if its a necklace set it costs around $50
    I just remember that I bought a necklace set (necklace with ear rings) for about $40 and sent it to my Sister in law.
    Also the ear rings and bangles start at $10. This is a kind of fashion jewellery but when u wear, it really looks good as if you put on gold..

This guy will be coming weekly once to pasir panjang market(not so sure ) , bukit batok , tampines etc.
    If you want to have a look of the jewellery, may be I will pass his phone number. You can ask him at what days is he opening his stall :)
    Happy viewing..:)