1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Buying Land To Build House On H1b Visa On A Mortgage

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Purnaraj19, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Purnaraj19

Purnaraj19 Silver IL'ite

hello all!
    Has anyone secured a mortgage to buy land and build house in USA while being on h1b visa. Is it possible to get a mortgage from a bank to do this? Would really appreciate your input on this. Many thanks.

Purna.

2. Grace09

Grace09 Senior IL'ite

Hi OP,

Yes I got mortgage to buy a home ( though not land & build on it) about 3 years ago while on h1b. Not only that I have also taken out personal loans from banks. Not sure if rules have changed since then. How I went about it to call various mortgage lenders for pre-qualification of loan, where they run your credit, get all ID, pay & tax documents and decide the amount they can lend and at what interest rate. Based on this pre-qualification, I made my budget and contacted a real estate agent and made an offer on a house that fell in the range of mortgage I was pre-approved for. The most important document in your offer to buy a property is mortgage pre-approval letter as it lets seller know you can pay and thus increases chances of acceptance of your offer.
    Good luck with you home buying search.