Buying gold in Dubai airport

Discussion in 'Shopping/Restaurants in Dubai' started by sharu_0803, Sep 14, 2008.

1. sharu_0803

sharu_0803 New IL'ite

Hi Frnds,

i wish to buy one set of designer bangle, earring and long chain from dubai duty free shop at dubai airport for my sister's marriage...

1) Is it worth buying gold in dubai airport than chennai ??? is it cheap ???

2) How much is one gram of gold in dubai airport ???

3) In which shop in dubai airport is the best and cheap ???

Many thanks!!

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sharu
    I have brought gold in dubai airport, gold is good and at the centre there is I think only one shop, ya it is a bit cheaper then India that is for sure. Now the current price I have no idea but I had brought it in dec 07, I felt it much reasonable.

3. sharu_0803

sharu_0803 New IL'ite

Tnx soo much aruna...can I use the UK mastercard....or will they charge something extra than the gold price ???

4. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

How about gold shopping in Abhudhabi airport too?Is it reliable and is there any specific shop .Are there many shops for gold or just 1 or 2.Any suggestions for this?

5. lvarada

lvarada Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sharu, As Aruna had mentioned there is only one shop in Dubai airport. The quality is very good. I had got a 24 carat gold bisuit there. You can very well use your UK Mastercard but the exchange rate that they offer is very low. Suggest you take some UK pounds with you say GBP1000, compare the rates at all the exchange ceters before changing and then buy in cash. This is what I did as I found there are different rates being offered in different kiosk inside the airport itself. So did a bit of browsing, found a bank kiosk that offered better rates and changed them into local currency. This is my 1cent. Hope this helps. Also if you are interested in buying gold ornaments they didn't have many varities like the shops inside Dubai.. but the bangles collection was good. Hope this helps.

6. Swetha111

Swetha111 New IL'ite

Hi Friends,
    Do we have any limitations to buy gold from dubai airport and to carry that to chennai? Can we buy gold bars from dubai airport?

Thanks,
    Shwetha

7. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

I have answered this query here.