1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Buying Cell Phone for India

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by MonB, Mar 24, 2010.

1. MonB

MonB New IL'ite

Hi , I would like to buy a cellphone for my Mom in India. There are 2 kinds:- Unlocked or Pre Paid. Which one would work there? Has anyone done this?

Thanks
    MonB

2. raagini

raagini Silver IL'ite

I understand that you want to purchase a mobile for use in India . first ensure that the new mobile works
    in India
    as US uses a different range of frequency . GSM 900/1800 band type mobile should work in India .
    And it should be a unlocked mobile so that any of available mobile SIM card can be used with it .

3. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

Unlocked usually works.

Prepaid sometimes, we can unlock and use there,usually unlock codes will be in net. Again we can't find code in net for all model, to get it done in shops at India they are charging 500-600rs.

My dad tried all types: unlock, prepaid ](got unlock thru my cousin in net),recently he got one,(didn't get code in net,they charge high in shop to unlock).

So, i feel unlock one hassel-free.

4. Rajeshwari

Rajeshwari New IL'ite

I have a doubt..how do you buy a cell phone here with out taking a plan...i mean the connection ?:bonk

5. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

I have the same doubt as Rajeshwari had...how are you planning to buy a cellphone that too an unlocked one in US without a plan. From what I understand you cannot buy a cellphone without a plan and that too which is unlocked except maybe from Ebay! Maybe you can buy a cellphone with out plan but unlocked one??

In my opinion, it is always best to buy it in the country where you are using it. I would ask my mom to buy it from there only but I will ofcourse pay for it.

But if you plan to buy it here nevertheless, then go for unlocked ones rather than prepaid ones.

Jaya

6. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Rajeshwari&Jaya,

Sometimes, you get deals in dealnews, deals2buy on unlocked mobile without plan.

Regarding Prepaid, if you want you can get refill card here , or else just carry to India and unlock it.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  7. shrikala

shrikala Senior IL'ite

you get unlocked phones in cellhut.com, buy.com and sometimes dell has unlocked phones on deal.

8. Ryan

Ryan New IL'ite

i checked deals2give.com, they have lots of discount. But you want to buy phone for india, go for Unlocked. Cellhut.com is best for unlocked cellphones. I have purchased Nokia E72 from here.

9. aparnanc

aparnanc Bronze IL'ite

Unlocked phones are definitely the way to go. Do take care to buy them from reputable dealers instead of getting them off craigslist.

10. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

Wrong thread, Mods.. pl move this thread to the right forum