1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a Home in USA

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sanravi_1970, Apr 2, 2010.

1. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Dewdrop- flooding is never covered by regular insurance. A separate flood insurance is needed for that.

1 person likes this.
  2. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Nitha- granite, marble, soap stone quartz, stainless steel, concrete, travertine- all of these counter top materials are heat resistant. It all boils down to personal preference.

1 person likes this.
  3. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

I like the opposite modern contemporary look so i went searching for unique things that are very contemporary.

4. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

We really are in the opposite ends of architectural spectrum :). I do enjoy all beautiful buildings - all different types of homes. Looks like you put much thought into your build and I am sure it must be lovely.

Quartz would look great in a modern/ contemporary home. Its high-end but does not come with some of the problems with natural stones.

Thanks for your feedback and input. I enjoyed it. Really don't come across many people who custom built their home. I am very interested in architecture and interior design and love learning about all this.

2 people like this.
  5. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Construction is a fun process if you like it otherwise it will become a nightmare. Got an opportunity to apply all the things I learnt in my first year of engineering, although my background is in computers in the first year engineering course you have to learn the basics of Civil, Mechanical and electrical engineering.

Many people don’t build because the cost of the house increases around 20% compared to an existing house and also many people don’t like to deal with the construction process.

6. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

Just wanted to keep you guys informed about the recent announcement by FICO,Fair Isaac Corp., that it will no longer penalize borrowers for certain debt-collection activities when calculating credit scores.

Beginning this fall, FICO will no longer weigh medical debts -- which account for about half of all unpaid collections on consumers' credit reports -- as heavily as it did previously. Also, FICO will ignore any collections that have already been paid.

This move will ultimately make a real difference in the lives of millions of Americans, who have been shut out of the housing market or forced to pay higher mortgage interest rates because of flawed credit scores. Since the housing crash, overly restrictive lending has been the greatest obstacle to home ownership.