1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Buy house for my parents

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Asha123, May 19, 2010.

1. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Asha, try reading that sentence above a couple times. Let it sink in.

If you are still hell bent on plunking down money without your husband's consent, the only thing I have to say is, guess we will be seeing you soon with a troubled post in the 'me and my spouse' forum.

Get your husband's full support, or don't do this at all. If you wanted to make financial/investment/gift decisions SOLO, then guess what... YOU SHOULDNT HAVE GOTTEN MARRIED!!

And one more thing I would like to add... going behind your husband's back to talk to his dad about something HE already told you HE did not want to do, is ridiculous. You sound like an adament 10 year old not willing to take 'no' for an answer. Your husband is not a child to be cajoled into things by his dad. Also, seeing that your pils are friends with your parents, you are indirectly putting pressure on your inlaws to take your side, or jeopardize the good relationship they have with you and your parents. Even if they think it's a bad idea, how in the world do you expect them to come out and tell you so, without it causing hurt feelings? Good job for putting them in an uncomfortable situation. If you can convince your husband, that's great. But YOU should be the one doing it. Not his parents.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  2. forchange

forchange New IL'ite

Well, whether you want to buy them something behind your husband's back or with his consent, problems are going to be there.

Speaking from my own personal experience, buy it in your name only. I bought a house for my parents with his consent and with both my and my husbands name on it. And i have a high paying job so no probs. All was fine for several years but since the prices have soared the attitude has changed completely. Now he is always looking for opportunity to get that place vacated. Parents have grown more older and more difficult for them to move and plus where will they go now but he doesn't care.
    And what if he later starts thinking - oh when are they going to die so i can get my share it will hurt you so much, but if its only in your name, there will be less problem in future as you and only you will be the owner. Indian mentality, ownerhip of a property gives one an edge over others.

3. Preet82

Preet82 Silver IL'ite

Asha,

I am sorry to say you are being immature here,its not like you are buying a pair of shoes or a cocktail dress that you need to "convince" your hubby.And to boot,you want to ask your FIL to talk him into it..BAD IDEA.:bonk
    Like the rest of the posters here have replied.Either buy the house in your name and they can stay rent free or ask your parents to sell the other house and buy a house in Hyderabad.

Don't take such a huge step without your DH's knowledge.If you still go ahead with this - you are heading for big trouble lady.