1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Busy Summer Those Days!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Apr 1, 2022.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

hank you Amica
    Jayasala 42

Amica and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. jayasala42

Thank you very much madam
    Jayasala 42

sweetsmiley likes this.
  3. jayasala42

Dear Joylokhi,
    Vadaam making is quite interesting as well as tiring.My children love
    eating vadaam maavu with chilies etc.Tongues start watering even when we think of it. Now a days everything is available in the market.
    It is huge income for them. In LIG tenements the whole mottai maadi is occupied from March 15th.Actually they supply vadaam etc to the stores also.They are professionals. They know the knack of good exhibition.There is so much of warning about fried items.So vadaams chips etc have become prohibited items and become part of our
    kitchen menu only on Aadi Perukku and Kanu pandigai.It may not be worth the trouble to have so much of labour just for two days. Better buy from the shop and enjoy.
    Jayasala 42

Amica, joylokhi and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Nice to get your response. very true. However, I spoke too soon here. My son and family visited yesterday being week end, and immediately brought up the topic of making javarisi vadam when we were discussing the extreme heat this summer in Bangalore! Kids were also excited and want to see the vadams being made, so I had to agree and decided to make a normal amount at least, for the family. Ofcourse all agreed that they would help , but i know it would be more of a fun outing for them:blush:

Rihana and Amica like this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear JS ma'm,

This is such a lovely post. Beautifully narrated and brought out so many feelings and memories. I was reminded of the hot summer days when my mom and aunt would do this on the terrace. In fact recently when I bought sandige, they were real white and thin and while frying them I was thinking that my mom would have approved of it! She was such a stickler. vegetables when cut should look like flowers, presentation matters etc. I look at my children and realize that they may not get to enjoy these simple joys but I sincerely hope that we have been able to give them other simple joys that they will remember as they grow up. Thank you for such a lovely write up.

Amica and Rihana like this.
  6. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

@jayasala42 ma'am I enjoyed throughly in reading yours sweet summer memories and I could relate to Vadiyalu/Vaadam only. My children love to eat their grandmother's prepared vadiyalu only and my mother used to send them to us every year. This year I visited India at right time and for the first time I made Vadiyalu with the guidance of my Mom a few days back. I felt happy for carrying parampara.:grinning:

20220406_081008.jpg

20220407_154115.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    Amica, joylokhi and Rihana like this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

What a wonderful snippet to read you describing how the summer used to be busy those days! As a child, I always wonder why would some ladies make so much effort to dry out the Vadam and fry it in oil when the dough tastes so good as is! You had reflected my feelings in your words here in this snippet.

Fighting the crows lifing the Vadam was a big process those days. Nowadays, I don't see much of crows when I go to India. I have taken a photo of a crow sitting in the sunshade of a parlor recently when I visited Chennai to show it to others. I would have missed this scene but for its cowing loudly.

Avakkai and Mavadu making also are big processes. To cut mangoes with the seed requires a lot of strength. How the ladies maintain it for a year by tying up the opening with a cloth (again Vasheti used to play a big role) is amazing. They found a way to maintain food items without any preservatives.

Amica likes this.
  8. jayasala42

Dear S rama,
    Happy that you enjoyed the snippet.Now a days even in villages,nobody is preparing vadaams. TV is the main occupant.
    Many shops are selling vadaams, as good as house preparation. But we have to pay nearly four times.In US my daughter-in-law prepares vadaam maavu as a tiffin item along with a sweet.But she buys vadaams.
    Jayasala 42

joylokhi and Srama like this.
  9. jayasala42

Dear Viswa,
    Vadaam making is cumbersome but not difficult.In those days Amma used to prepare tins and tins of vadaams and share it with all her marriedied daughters.The process will continue for a month.Now the importance is slowly lost.Till 2019 I was preparing vadaams. Now I have lost interest.There is no one to consume. Our great grand children having tasted chips from the shop may not have a liking for vadaam at all.Soon it may become a disappearing art.Pickles are very costly in shops.Certain simple items we may continue to do at home to avoid after effect of preservatives.
    So many things have changed. This is one among them to be kept written as an event.
    Jayasala 42

Amica likes this.
  10. jayasala42

Dear Mistt,Thank you very much for your response.Continue the paramparic activities.Let the tradition get carried over to next generations.

Jayasala 42

Amica and Mistt like this.