1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Busily Unemployed

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jul 16, 2013.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]"I am getting so bored. Let us go out somewhere. Let us do something". This used to be a constant refrain of mine in my teens and twenties. Mom used to be at the receiving end and I am not surprised she got fed up of me and whenever I asked what I should do I would frequently be asked to "eat her head"!!!:hide::bonk

I used to always wonder whether babies did not get bored. They normally spend their time on their back sides on a bed, the first few months of which they can not even turn on their sides of their own accord - which makes me wonder, how don't babies get bed sores??? :coffee - looking at the ceiling and at a few faces which peer at them from the top. I now wonder what that perspective of the world feels like.

May be I wondered too much. So I have been given a chance to experience just a similar kind of state - with not much to do. YET, strangely enough, I have not got bored over the past few years. In fact, thinking of it, I find it so ironical. 24 hours don't seem to be enough. If there is a way of doing nothing and not having enough time to do nothing, I think I have nearly perfected it. :spin :rotfl I was telling a friend this the other day and was asked how that was possible. Now just think of this - I have to play games, try to get points and keep ahead of other players, am busy on a virtual farm tending imaginary animals and growing endless crops, have to come to IL, read what all is going on, contribute my 2 penny bit, come to snippets, bore all of you, reply to FBs, keep my two blogs going, keep thinking of that book I have been planning to write but can never seem to get started with, ensure that others round the house keep running it smoothly, read books, watch telly, chat with friends, open and close the door for the endless couriers ....... now tell me, just how are 24 hours enough to accomplish all this and where is the time to get bored? And to think I filled in the occupation column in a form today as "unemployed", because I can't even honestly call myself a home maker!!! A home maker is occupied 24 X 7 but I am busily unemployed 24 X 7.[/JUSTIFY]

14 people like this.

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Oiye Sats!:rotfl
    You busy bee!
    Unemployed? You? Naah!
    I am so glad I don't even attempt to do all that you accomplish.
    You know I don't play FarmVille or even keep a blog leave alone two.
    I just... Exist! ....and 24 hours is not enough for me.

I need more time to daydream, to watch the idiot box, to nosh on all the banned food, and to just snore away!
    By my standards you are doing great, my girl.

Carry on, carry on...:thumbsup
    And oh, do change the application to "too busy to fill this" :)

That was hilarious. Had a good laugh Sats! Thanks for the distraction; I needed it badly after a grueling morning, erm ....doing nothing of course!:cheers

5 people like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

What took me 12 hours to do 10-15 years ago takes 3-5 hours now saving approximately 7-10 hours. As we keep doing things again and again, we become experts in our actions to the extent of the time saved, we become unemployed. You have learned the art of how to take care of your mother and when you write about it, it shows up how efficient you are. Even one other person learns out of your posts, it will do a world of good to that person and her mother. You meet so many seniors when you visit your mother and every time you extend your helping hands, you are bringing smile in their faces. When you respond to a suffering wife giving her idea as to how to resolve her issue with her husband, when you respond to a question about a problem faced by a young mother about upbringing of a child, when you respond how to resolve MIL/DIL issue, etc. you are adding value to the life of so many unknown faces. Obviously, running the household is not a trivial exercise by any means. If you call all of the above as doing nothing, I am not sure what could be called as hard work.

Many times, we have a wrong notion of how much we make in monetary terms as a measure to figure out whether a person is busy or employed. Many divine souls dedicate their lives for the welfare of the community and they don't work for themselves or for their families. Does it make them unemployed?

In my opinion, adding value to someone's life whether it is a smile or a hug to a senior who longs for love, feeding or giving water to a street dog that is very hungry, helping a stranded person on the road to get to the destination, providing a piece of bread to a homeless person, helping a child to educate herself, etc. are more important measures to find out whether a person is employed or not.

If your heart is full of love, you are ready to help anyone in need of help, you wake up everyday with enthusiasm to do something, you are happy at the end of each day, you are using your time wisely.

However, I have a question for which I have no answer. When all the farmers are giving up their profession and trying to make their children get educated and migrated into cities, how come those who live in the cities are so interested in farming? When the villagers are enjoying the benefit of electricity, use stainless steel utensils and eat in a fully illuminated house, how come the people who live in the city, like to eat food served in mud pots in a restaurant illuminated with candle lights? It looks like other side is always green.

Viswa

3 people like this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,

Everyone has their won ways of keeping themselves busy...employed or unemployed doesn't matter. Should be satisfying for oneself. See how many are enjoying your contribution to IL? Isn't that something which keeps you busy?

So, keep enjoy doing what you like to do.

Syamala

1 person likes this.
  5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

HAHA. You are happily unemployed eh ! You have so much to do, so much on yr plate, and yet u say u dont have anything to do.HAHA

u are the happiest unemployed person/personess, that i have come across, and count me with u, i too have the same habits, i have stopped being a rat, for i am out of the raterace of making money.HAHA

Regards

kamal

2 people like this.
  6. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Hi satchi...
    just checked our dear friend google behenji for "employed"and she told me it basically means being occupied.. so dearie thats is what you are doing and as I told you had you actually being toiling in the fields at the rate you are at Farmville you would've been a rich farmer-ess!!! and I would be your financial guide with a little bit of help from Kamalji we could've made pots and pots of money or bottles and bottles of wine from the grapes you would've have reaped!!!..
    so as I'm here in office very much "employed" in the traditional way.. guess what I'm doing helping you to stay "un employed!!!!"..
    take care
    kerman..
    P.S and please do change my name to either Kelly or Kerman in your mobile... kerman Kelly or vice versa makes me sound even more weird than I actually am!!!

4 people like this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank God for you being busily unemployed! How else do the rest can be kept occupied tell me Satchi! But I do have to give you - that patience to be in the virtual world! Uff! It is a job by itself. I could not do it and so let's just say you are doing it for all of us.

On a serious note, I am glad you are busy and occupied. Imagine being bored and complaining about it and not being able to do anything about it! Busily unemployed is the best way.

PS: Kerman thanks for that update on the meaning of the word "employed"

3 people like this.
  8. lathalukose

lathalukose New IL'ite

I love this thread.. loved reading each post... while I am not technically unemployed as I manage my own blog... I am unemployed in one sense... confused :) n happy staying at home

1 person likes this.
  9. BHAVNAM6

BHAVNAM6 Platinum IL'ite

My dear Satchi,

The grass is always greener on the other side.I have been wanting to get retired as soon as I get a chance.I have been working seven days a week for almost fourteen years.I would almost run from my work to go home and have my own time. I have been stealing time from my work to stay connected in Indusladies hoping to get fired by my husband.He is so desperate to fire me as well.........No luck for both of us yet......ha ha.......

Love,
    Bhavna

3 people like this.
  10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kamala,

1 person likes this.