1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bulo C. Rani

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Cheeniya, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Bulo C Rani was born on the 6th May 1920. Not much is known about his early career or musical training. In about 1940 he came to Lahore, then a major film centre in the north, and contacted with Ghulam Haider, but his career did not move much. He happened to meet the lyricist DN Madhok who encouraged him to come to Bombay where he introduced him to Gyan Dutt and Khemchand Prakash who were with Ranjit Studios. He assisted Khemchand Prakash for films like Chaandani (1941), Dukh Sukh (1942), Qurbani (1943), Tansen (1943) and Shahenshah Baabar (1944). He assisted Gyan Dutt for the film Shankar Parvati (1944). His first break as an independent music director was Pagli Duniya. He got great fame for his music in Moorti, Rajputani, Wafa, Jogan and Bilwamanagl. His last film was Sunahare Kadam (1966). He continued working for Sindhi films.

He was also a good singer, and he sang about 30-40 songs. He gave music for over 400 songs in over 60 films.

He passed away on 24 May 1993 at the age of 73. He was suspected to have committed suicide.During his active career, he composed some of the greatest songs in their category. He straddled across the vintage and golden era. Thus, his career was coterminous with superstars like Naushad and C Ramchandra. Since not many can fit in at the top, Bulo C Rani remained in the shadow of the giants. But as his best songs show, he was as good as any. Alas, his greatness remained overshadowed by the giants. Here is my tribute to one of my great favorites with a selection of his songs on his 25th death anniversary. (Source from the web)

From the movie Daragaji (1949) Singer Geeta Dutt

Sung by Lata in the movie Pyar Ki Batein (1951) Look at the young Nargis!

From the film Haseena (1955) Sung by Asha

From the movie Jugnu (1947) sung by Rafi and Noor Jehan. Can you believe it's Rafi's voice?

Super famous Qawwali in 1958. Movie: Al Hilal Sung by Ismail Azad Qawwali

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Wow Sir!
    You are turning into a historian! I am enjoying the songs sir. Thanks for introducing these great people who have left us such treasures.

3. Cheeniya

@kkrish
    Give me a shot like this and I'll go to the end of the world to unravel the mysteries of ancient music!

4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Wow! So many unheard of composers! This qawalli is very famous, I ( a non-music person) have heard it many times and I know quite a few lines too!!! Well...the modern version of it.:tongueout:Thank you, Cheeniya Sir.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  5. Cheeniya

@GeetaKashyap
    My dear Geeta
    Then what stops you from having a go?
    My dad had several talents but music was not one of them but no one could stop him from singing!
    Sri

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  6. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Cheeniya Sir, thank you. A lot of these, I have never thought to go beyond listening to the songs and learning who the singers are. This entire series you have got going here is such a beautiful insight into just sheer variety of music we have been able to offer to the world, and for how long!!

7. Cheeniya

@peartree
    Thank you peartree. When I started this series, it was purely to take a break from my regular column Senile Ramblings. But I got obsessed with this new musical series. The half a dozen or so of my readers here have enthused me to get going. Thank you all for it!

8. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Thank you, Uncle for showing hidden musical treasures to us. I felt sad after reading Bulo Chandiram Ramchandani jee's life and his milestones. Adding one of songs from his composition.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  9. Cheeniya

@Mistt
    My dear Latha
    I am happy at your participation in our discussions. You go deep into each subject and that is a reward for me. I limit my presentation on the Directors so that you can dig further for more information. The song you have presented is very good. More than the song, I loved the girl's dance. How childlike it is!
    sri

Mistt likes this.
  10. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Yes Uncle, I have been digging life snd milestones of all musical legends after reading your writing so that I'm knowing many unknown things and songs. Thank you !
    :) me too like Nargis innocent dance in that song. I have to listen so many pending songs.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018