1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Bringing out colours to the life from food

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by sudhabatni, Oct 13, 2007.

1. sudhabatni

sudhabatni Bronze IL'ite

Hi All ILites

Consumption of coloured fruits & vegetables can be very good for the body, especially for one's skin and hair. The process of oxidation in our body needs to be combated with the help of anti-oxidant supplements. This can be best taken in the form of fruits & vegetables.
    Tomatoes, cherrys, olives are products which supply the essential vitamins to the body and also act as anti-oxidants.
    Papaya, fenugreek leaves & spinach are wholly coloured substances. Their intake can help the skin glow and also stop hair fall.

Colours like red, brown and orange are rainbow colours. Consumption of fruits or vegetables in bright colours on daily basis can help reduce the oxidation level.
    Other than supplying the body with vitamins, coloured foods are also a visual treat. Turmeric powder sprinkled over food enhances the particular dish and also bright yellow colour makes it visually appealing. This item is also a very good anti-oxidant. Similarly with wines, people should prefer red to white.

Sudha Batni......

2. presci

presci Senior IL'ite

HI,
    I have a doubt. I love papaya and it is nice to know that it prevents hair fall, but my worry is I am trying to get conceived and there is a saying that if we eat papaya , it will get aborted. Can you clarify. Because of this I am trying to control myself from eating papaya.
    Bye
    Presci

3. vidyasundar

vidyasundar Bronze IL'ite

dear presci,

one should avoid eating raw papaya which ahs a latax that enhances uterus contraction. fully ripened one does no harm. but make sure that the fruit is fully ripened before consuming it.

regards
    vidyasundar

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi sudha

yes some of these food really have lot of benefits....

the flip side....the other day i was cleaning cauliflower in salt water..the water was turning yellow....not natural.....

there are some vegetables where a little artificial color is added which also can be seen when cooked.........................the chow chow...(what is the english name yaar...i forgot...)

5. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Hai sudha

Nice post yaar and thank u very much for sharing

And, even i used to cook atleast 5 colour vegetables daily ........almost i prepare sambar with min 3 vegetable

carrot,cucumber,tomato,onion and garlic(not on puja days) will be in my daily menu

And greens, only one or 2 dsays a week

And, whenever i prepare upma(any upma) i will make it as veg upma and same for adai......dosai etc...

All these iam doing for my son's sake, do u know , what he will do, HE WILL PICK UP ALL THE VEGETABLES and will eat the main food.......:bangcomp::bang:cry::yes:..

latamurali

6. vidyasundar

dear Latha,
    I follow the same as u do i add vegies to adai, dosa etc but instead of cutting u can grind them and add that saves time of cutting as well as ur son cannot pick it out.

try it u get colourful dosas and adais(especially adai with bottle guord adhanga namma soraika and less onion and more cabbage makes adai crisper)

regards
    vidyasundar

7. vidyasundar

dear Shanthi,

What's the big deal about a name, the good bard of Avon, once asked.

Well, in the case of this vegetable (or fruit, as many call it!), its entire bio-data is in the litany of its monikers, all as strange but as wonderful as their owner. So, let's start with the botanical name. Sechium edule - sechium apparently derived from chacha, the West Indian name for the vegetable and edule simply meaning "edible".
    Its Chinese name translates as "Buddha's hand squash" because it is a member of the squash family and if you hold it with the broad part up, it does look like two hands clasped in prayer. Or then because it also looks like a pear - albeit a rather strange, gnarled one - it is also called "vegetable pear".
    In France, it is called christophine (or christophene) - maybe because Christopher Columbus brought it to Europe from South America? Now I can't tell you why it is also called pepinella in Portugal or xuxu in Brazil.

But, I guess the reason why we in Karnataka call it seeme badanekai (literally translates as foreign brinjal) is because it is exactly that - a foreigner and originally not a native of India. For the same reasons, it's sometimes also called vilati vangi. And since Karnataka is one of the few places in India where this phirangi is so abundantly available and popular, in Tamil Nadu it is called Bangalore kathrikai.

But in Mexico, where it did originate centuries ago, (the Aztecs and the Mayas were apparently real partial to it, as are the Mexicans even to this day), it is called chayotli from which we get many of its more commonly used names - chow chow (India), choko, chuchu, cha cha etc, as well as its most popular English handle - chayote squash or then just chayote. But the name that describes it perfectly is custard marrow. Marrow is because it is one (or squash or gourd -take your pick), a member of the illustrious Cucurbit family and kin of the cucumber, pumpkin, watermelon, melon, doodhi, karela, tendli etc.

In every which way - the way it tastes, the nutrition it so generously yields, the ease with which it grows and happily cooks into anything from soups to desserts...