1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Breastfeeding moms - need your help

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by uma321, Mar 22, 2014.

1. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

15 min each side is what they say. When you pump, see how much time it takes for the let down and how much you get. You will get same or maybe more if your baby sucks on the breast. If the baby is latching on the breast for a long time, it could be that it is comfort feeding. Also breastmilk gets digested quickly. So keep all these factors in mind and assess. After some time you and your baby will have a rhythm of your own. Both of you will understand each other!

To burp the baby, if it is taking too long...place him/her on the bed for a little while and then try again. Believe it or not, there are videos on YouTube on how to burp the baby! I had a REAL tough time with burping since the beginning for about 1 1/2 months. It was a struggle. Then when I started work, after sometime my baby started refusing the bottle ( used tommy tippee). I was thinking if I should quit working when the pediatrician suggested to use Lansinoh bottles. That was a life saver! It is used for babies who breastfeed and drink from bottle and there is no nipple confusion. Burping also became relatively easy after the change.

2. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Dear UMA,

Hearty wishes for your new born :) and you too....

Do not ever use pumping, storing and giving method...even it is painful pls feed him directly, at first it would be very small quanity but the milk production will increased in the 5% breast too...

First feed him from the 95% for sometimes, then from 5% for nearly 15 mins even if the flow is slow, because the supply will increase only if you give from that 5% one. Use nipple shield for good latching at first for your baby then slowly you can remove that one..

As some one said pls consult lactation consultant at your nearby place and seek help, do not delay....it is just a technique which we can learn easily, by nature all infants are know how to latch but there is some help needed from us in the beginning...that is all!

All the best for your motherhood, most importantly do not get stress yourself as it may worsen the problem....Do not worry

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Great that he latched! Sometimes they cry just for the comfort of suckling, wet dispers, too hot or cold or gas. We never know the exact reason but you'll probably know better than any other person in a few more weeks! I was told even if breastfed babies are full they take a bottle snd top up. Not sure if that is true, do check LLL website or breastfeeding.com.

If you have supply issues, let him latch each time and then bottle feed. How many wet and dirty diapers do you have in a 24 hrs period? How is your supply when you pump? The baby definitely gets more than what the pump can extract!
    I would say initially 15 mins per side and then slowly the baby would unlatch when he is done and you can latch him on the other side.

My older one was a tough burper. The YouTube videos sound great. I used to put her on her belly on my lap(head supported and nose uncovered by your clothes) and gently pst ht back. The only way she burped was like that. Google for pictures of various ways to burp. I learned this way of burping from the lactation consultant whom I used with her. She came home a few times to help with the breast feeding.

4. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Another thing I recommend if you don't have one already is buying 'my brest friend' nursing pillow. It is a great buy since it is good for your hand and back support plus the baby is supported well too. For newborns, I feel it is a must!

1 person likes this.
  5. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Uma,

Congrats on your baby.. Just wanted to add something, a new born will prefer the bottle since the flow is faster.. So if you start giving bottles quite often, the baby may prefer the bottle. As per my doc , I used a latex teat which is shaped. So there is no nipple confusion and the baby is fine with both.

Feeding pillow was my savior in the few months after delivery.. My Dd never burped much, just sometimes..

1 person likes this.
  6. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Uma. Did he latch continuously on each breast or was just using it as pacifier? 30 mins gap in between feed is normal in case of BF as they digest pretty soon. When you bottle fed breast milk alone how much was the gap? I suggest you breast feed each time and top up with formula so that he can give more gap.

1 person likes this.
  7. uma927

uma927 Bronze IL'ite

Hi

Colicaid drops You can give to remove the gas from the stomach of the baby initially. 3 drops twice a day for 2 days not more than that
    Later on you have to hold the baby after feeding atleast 5 to 20 min, untill she/he burps.

If gas is with in stomach, baby wont get sleep.

You will know while baby is sucking the milk or once you hv baby you can see difference in your breast weight, you will feel it lighter .
    All cries are not for feed, so observe your kid, dont feed again in bottle.
    Try to understand why baby is crying, excess feeding is also not good. If baby is really hungry she/he will try to take the feed directly from you.

It should take initially 30 min to feed baby on both side, 10 min each side if baby is sucking. If you feel baby is not taking the feed, leave baby in the bed several times and feed....baby may be feeling sleepy or lazy. By leaving and taking baby from bed while feeding baby will become active to take the feed.

Try to put the baby in your arms or shoulder after feed and have a walk within house instead of feeding again from bottle. It may take even 30 min walk ...but you can try and observe if baby is really hungry or looking for different environment.Baby doesnt know initially when to stop taking feed even if stomach is full.

If you feel you doesnt hv enoug milk then try mother horlicks or lactare tablet for milk secretion. 2 Tablets 3 times a day. You hv to take atlest 1 lt milk to feed your baby n if you are non-veg eat meat, sora fish, garlic and egg otherwise if Pure Veg then Garlic, Avarika (Broad beans) or dil grass

Wish and hope this helps and Happy motherhood

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

The pain is 'engorgement' and is normal in anyone who if feeding. This feels horrible and so confusing....you can use a wheat bean bags to have a warm massage but be careful dont do it too much it will only worse it so use warm and cold massage alternatively.

Dont worry this pain wont last long, only lasts until your body adjusts the supply...say a week max. And the difference is supply is normal, nothing to worry about. Try latching your baby meanwhile and she will set all right :)

2 people like this.
  9. ambrose

ambrose Senior IL'ite

"no babies likes feeding doyouknowthat? you know Ladies,

Need your help. My son is 4 weeks old. He doesn't latch. So, I'm pumping my milk for every feed. I'm getting 95% of the milk from one breast and only 5% from another breast. The 95% one is heavy and bigger than the 5% one. I can easily see a difference between the two. Have anyone faced this issue? Will the 95% one ever go back to normal size?

Also, I'm having pain on the bigger one all the time. It gets worse when I pump. Is there anything I can do for the pain?

Thanks! regarding this valdar vetrivel tamilfilm song is there?

10. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks ladies!

I'm using boppy pillows while breastfeeding him. It sure is quite convenient.

I'm getting around 3 oz total and I highly doubt my son drinks all the milk. I think he drinks from 1.5-2 oz while breastfeeding. I'm formula feeding him for the remaining need. After that I pump to drain the remaining milk and use it for the next feeding.

I tried warm massage yesterday and I feel much better today. I think breastfeeding is less painful than pumping (per my experience).

My son latches only for 10 mins. After that he starts crying and gets fussy.

I'm using Dr. Browns bottle for formula feeding. I believe he gets confused sometimes. I need to wait and see if I need to change bottles.

Mine used to burp right after every 30 ml feeding and he is taking longer nowadays. I tried all the possible ways to burp him.

Thanks for your input everyone.