1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Breastfeeding moms - need your help

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by uma321, Mar 22, 2014.

1. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Ladies,

Need your help. My son is 4 weeks old. He doesn't latch. So, I'm pumping my milk for every feed. I'm getting 95% of the milk from one breast and only 5% from another breast. The 95% one is heavy and bigger than the 5% one. I can easily see a difference between the two. Have anyone faced this issue? Will the 95% one ever go back to normal size?

Also, I'm having pain on the bigger one all the time. It gets worse when I pump. Is there anything I can do for the pain?

Thanks!

2. ArabianDoll

ArabianDoll Senior IL'ite

Hi
    I also faced similiar issues but i never gave up breastfeeding due to my doctor and lactation consultant.What you have mentioned is due to improper latching method i suppose.Secondly your breasts are in pain due to uneven milk production.You may visit nourishandnuture website and get free phone /email advice from Dr effath yasmin who will surely help you out.

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I exclusively pumped for two months before my preemie could latch so I understand your pain. Pumping is more painful than nursing.
    That being said, I never had a dramatic supply difference between both the sides. I did have a little less on one side, I used to pump 5oz on one and 4.5 oz on the other so just a 0.5oz difference. I think most women have one side larger than the other, it's more pronounced in breast feeding moms.
    I would be more concerned about the pain though. It maybe a clogged milk ducts. Wrap a warm towel for 15 minutes before pumping to remove the clog. I had to hand massage too until the clogged ducts went away. If you don't see a change in a couple of days or if you have redness and extreme pain or fever go get checked out though. Clogged ducts can cause some infections if they don't resolve quickly.
    Even though I nursed both kids for 26-27 months I don't remember a lot of stuff. La Leche League is a very good resource for all breast feeding moms - LLLI | Home

Btw, it will be good to get a lactation consultant to come home and spend time with you and the baby and help you try and latch him if you are keen. An LC will also be able to help answer questions about your supply/pain etc. my LC was better than the nurse at my OBs office.

4. DinkyManoj

DinkyManoj Silver IL'ite

Initially all babies don't latch well. You will have to try and make them latch, do see videos of how to breast feed new born. I found it useful and effective. Don't loose hope keep trying to make ur sweetly pie is able to latch on the side your not able to pump more than5%. Pls to see video cause babies latch differently and there are many techniques and you can try to help him gently supporting his jaw or chin.

Warm regards
    dinky

5. shantana

shantana Platinum IL'ite

hi uma,
    its quite normal. both breasts dont produce same amount of milk. u probably need to pump more on the 5% milk production milk to match the other one. for me its 70% and 30%. the sizes came back to normal after i stopped bf.
    since ur's is huge different, u may need to concentrate more on the other breast.
    the pain on the breast is because it become too full and hard to pump. so u will need to pump before the breast gets too full.

6. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks ladies. I'm pumping more often on the smaller one. Need to give warm massage for the pain.

1 person likes this.
  7. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Uma. It's normal that one Breast is bigger and produce more than another... I have it and it's ok my LC said. If your breast is painful due you see any red spots or rashes in it? If you do then do contact your gyne as it could be mustaitis which is common in breast feeding mom in initial weeks. Pumping is definitely not as effective as latching so all the milk may not be drained at all. Stand in warm shower and massage your breast befor pumping.

1 person likes this.
  8. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Chitra. I don't see any red spotting. But I definitely have pain on the bigger one. Let me try the warm water massage.

9. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Yes, I had the same problem. Keep pumping/ feeding from both breasts at some point the supply will increase. My breasts sre still lopsided although no difference in milk production.

10. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Here is a different scenario and I need your help:

My son successfully latched this evening and I breastfed him for 30 mins. I don't know if he got enough milk. He started crying after 30 mins and I bottle-fed him again.

Ladies, how would you know your baby is getting enough milk when you breastfeed? How long do you breastfeed the baby?

Also, what would you do if your baby is not burping properly? Sometimes, my son is taking a lot of time to burp. Without burping he is not able to sleep well.