1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Breastfeeding inside the Flight

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Cutepavi, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

Hi all,
    Me and DS are travelling to india by end of this month and i am still breastfeeding him exclusively. He has completed 4 months though and would think about starting solids after his doc appt this month.

My question is . How comfortable it is to nurse inside the flight? Would the fellow passengers be helpful.. Am freaking out here thinking what if it is not a female person sitting next to me :( Am travelling via Air India and i am expecting least help from the air hostess.
    Now, If i choose to give Instant Similac during the journey, Would that affect my milk supply? Would my milk stop after i reach india?

Also, if we are feeding rice cereals inside the flight, how can we do it? Do I get warm water to to make the formula to mix with the cereals? Would the water they give inside the flight be sterile?

Or Can we give the Gerber fruit and Veggie puree that we get in small boxes? Do we still need to mix water or formula with it?

I know i am venting out too many questions.. but i really really need help:spin

Thank you all for your patient reading... hoping to get lots of responses :)

2. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Pavi;
    For gerber fruit purees (stage one) you don't need water. But I guesss four months is too early to introduce purees.
    I went in emrites and they gav us from diapers to wipes to fruit purees.I don't know about other flights.
    They also give us warm water.
    About breastfeeding. Mostly babies and mothers will be alloted front seat. So next passengers will be (most likely) ladies with babies. Airlines will giv you sheets and you can use that to cover yourselves and baby while bfing.
    -Nitha

sindmani likes this.
  3. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

Thanks for hte quick response nitha .. how is chinnu?

He would complete 5 months (almost) when i travel.. would that still be too early to start purees?

4. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Pavi;
    Usually ped. asks to wait till 6 months before introducing fruit purees. But I have seen some friends giving fruit purees after completing 4th month.

I have exclusively bf chinnu till 6 months. In case you decide to introduce fruit puree or rice cereals; do it some days earlier to the travel date. So that you can see how your LO's body reacts to it. To be on safer side I would suggest you to introduce gerber purees after 6 months.
    But I do understand your hesitation to open-up in public:))
    -Nitha

sindmani likes this.
  5. paddubala

paddubala Silver IL'ite

hi Pavi,
    I travelled with my 3.5 month old alone from India to U.S. I was BFing him throughout the flight. One leg had a lady next to me and the next leg I was squeezed in middle between a fat guy and girl:bonk
    and adding to my woe, my son fed non stop the 9 hrs. I covered him with dupatta.
    My sincere advise, make sure you get a bassinet. You already have a good nursing cover I believe. Use it.
    If you ask my opinion, better not to start solids as BFing is easy. Else you have to worry abt all the q's you had asked.

6. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

hi paddu,
    we had a doc visit today and the ped said his weight gain is not that great ... I also had a doubt if my milk is enough for him... she asked me to start cereals ASAP.. and said that i can give the same during the flight too.. but i might not do that.. i might just stick on to similac and me nursing during the flight..

We confirmed the seat and bassinet yesterday. so that is an advantage :)

sindmani likes this.
  7. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

You can buy a nursing cover and use it while on flight and in public places...
    Toys"R"Us/Babies"R"Us
    If your supply is low then you need to supplement....If you plan to introduce cereal do it well before you flight journey. Because if there is any reaction you will be able to take care of it...Once he does well with just plain single grain cereal then you can introduce veggies and fruits.. Don't introduce anything new just before the flight or during the flight..

Hope you have a nice journey..

8. charmingpooh

charmingpooh Bronze IL'ite

I was giving BM in the flight from india to US. Its difficult but we need to do it right.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010