1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Breast Pump Availability in Chennai

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by stella_cb, Feb 19, 2008.

1. stella_cb

stella_cb Junior IL'ite

Sorry. My reply may be too late. Hi Lakshmi, did u get your requirement satisfied? Please let me know.

I do not know about the availability in Pune.

Thanks
    Stella

2. shalini63

shalini63 New IL'ite

Hi Stella,

How are you? Can u please tell me what brand of breast pump did u buy I mean company name,model,price,warranty/guarentee given,safety,cleaning pump etc?

And main thing I feed my 2 1/2 months baby and also formula feed but when I feed he is urinating rarely and when formula fed he is urinating 3 times per feed. please help.

3. jasminejathin

jasminejathin New IL'ite

hi there,
    i newly registered here after reading the breastfeeding forum, i have a 5 week old baby, i breastfeed him but dont get much milk so thought would try a breastpump, i currently get milk in the early mornings and less in the day time so feed my baby Nestle Nan, coz of which he now wants Nan and is refusing to suckle my breasts, can someone help me here, guide me as to what i should do?

4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

jasmine, bottle is being the culprit here, whenever bottle is introduced this early, it most probably leads to nipple confusion. usually, even if u want to supplement, u do have to wait for 6-8 wks.
    the more u introduce bottles, the more ur breastmilk will decrease, since milk production is directly proportional to how much u latching and feeding the baby.

Breastmilk for everyone is at its highest early morns, and decreases as the day passes.once the baby starts liking the flow of bottles, he wld definitely prefer them over breasts :)
    nurse him more often, in between pump a few times, not to collect milk but just to let ur body know it needs to produce more.
    i guess a manual pump is good enough for the purpose.u can either get medela harmony, or avent . both are equally good.
    u will get both at any good babyshop. they are also available at mothercare.
    do not go for cheap pumps, they will only give u sore nipples!

hv a bowl of oats every morn, take shatavari, up your fluid intake, latch him on more often.ur supply will boost.

in addition before u nurse him, take a warm washcloth and massage, take warm bath, or just stand under warm shower.

tikka once told me about breast compression, do that, the moment he slows down on suckling, give breast compressions.....
    Breastfeeding and Breast Compression

5. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

more on compressions and enhancing flow

Breast stimulation to increase the flow

Breast stimulation is a time-honored method of increasing milk flow. When a baby signals that he wants a faster flow, for instance, during the time of the day when a mother’s supply is lowest, a mother can stimulate one or both breasts to increase the flow. With her free hand, a mother can gently compress the breast the baby is feeding on. She will notice that he begins swallowing more quickly again. A mother can also pump the second breast while the baby is nursing, or stimulate her other nipple to increase the body’s production of oxytocin, the hormone for milk ejection.
    It is important to watch the baby to be sure he likes the resulting increase in milk flow. If baby reacts negatively to the increased milk flow, avoid pumping or stimulating the other breast when the breast is full and the flow is the heaviest.
    In general, early in the nursing session when a baby’s appetite is heaviest, he will appreciate faster flow. He may want to switch to the other breast even though the first breast has not softened all the way in order to continue having a strong flow. Watch the baby’s behavior to know when to use breast compression to increase his milk flow or when to switch to the faster-flowing breast.
    Breast compression can help a baby whose feeding skills are not yet established. When the milk flows more easily, he feels more successful at the breast. Switching the baby from breast to breast, and using breast compression, can help him get more milk then he would without his mother’s help, and build his confidence for feeding.
    Breast pumps

Pumps that can be set to pump one breast at a time are good for pumping while nursing when a mother needs to increase her volume of breastmilk to the baby:
    • A piston driven electric breast pump such as the SMB or Lact E pumps by Ameda/Hollister, or the Classic™ or Symphony® pumps by Medela
    • a battery pump such as the Whisper Wear Pump;
    • a hand breast pump such as the One Hand Pump by Ameda/Holister or the Harmony™ by Medela
    Building a supply

Slow flowing milk can be a frustration to you and your baby. Slow flow often goes hand in hand with low supply.
    Discovering whether it is your baby’s technique that is causing slow flow, or if you are having difficulties manufacturing the quantity of milk your baby needs can be frustrating and frightening. It is a typical chicken or egg question. Which came first? Is the baby not breastfeeding effectively so mother has a lowered milk supply, or is a mother’ milk supply not developing well resulting in a baby who is not nursing well?
    Building milk supply involves learning many new things. Entwined in each learning step are strong and sometimes difficult emotions. For instance, mothers must learn about pumping. They may feel saddened at being plugged into a pump rather than snuggling their new baby. Through trial and error, they learn which pumps work for them, and they watch the precious drops of milk fill the container. Mothers struggle to discover how often and for how long they need to pump—there are no rules that apply to all mothers. They learn about storing milk and sterilizing bottles, and about which bottle nipples flow fast and which slow. They learn about herbs such as fenugreek to build a milk supply, and goat’s rue to grow breast tissue. They learn about mother food that can help support milk supply, and they explore the differences between the medications domperidone and Reglan for enhancing their milk supply. They learn about PCOS and other hormonal issues that can have an impact on milk supply, and they learn about supplemental feeding devices.
    It makes many families sad that the quantity of mother’s milk their baby needs is not available. If you are having breastfeeding challenges, we send you hugs. You are not alone.

6. swatig

swatig New IL'ite

Stella -

I bought the Just Born Brest Pump and tried it for an hour and it did not pump out milk as desired.How long do i need to pump to collect 50ml ? I have the electric pump which i bought from Just Born Chennai for Rs.2300

I tried for almost an hour,but just collected few drops.

Thnx

7. KaMom

KaMom New IL'ite

I want this to go to as many people as possible. So I'm pasting this from the other thread too...

Hi All,

Buying Experience:

After a month long research, I went to checkout the Shop : "JustBorn" Chennai. My first experience at the shop was pleasant as well as shocking. I had been buying dresses for my LO for the past 4 months and pretty know the rates and brands. This "Child World" brand Overalls [baba suit in Chennai] cost about Rs.450 in other lesser known shops. The same brand, same suit costs Rs.890 in Just born! Whoa!! that is daylight robbery!

Well, the staff were helpful, very enthused to sell me something. They were ready to show the demo for their Breast Pumps, the sales girl showed me one Pump which was branded as "JustBorn" and as i asked if it is fully automatic, she said NO and brought another product. Which was way better than this JB [JustBorn] brand pump, it was named "Don Baby", I immediately searched for the brand, and found out, it was made in Taiwan, China. It is a known brand in those parts of the world, but not so popular.

Well, I was impressed with this fully automatic she showed me, mainly because it was a full silicon soft suction cup, unlike the others which have a plastic cup..!! while the owner of JB came to us, and saw what was happening. She took over from the sales girl, showed some strong resent to her and chased her away. Then she also made the sales girl take back the DonBaby branded, fully automatic away from the table, and started to pour in sales pitches for the JB branded product. This is a suction only pump, that means, your breast will be sucked sucked and sucked till you manually press the "release button"

I was very skeptic about how this will be a good choice when the other pump was a Suck~Release~Suck action automatic pump. Well after a lot of if's and buts and she persuading us to go for this pump, we bought this JB branded pump, [me thinking, what the heck, let me check it out, if it fails let me throw it in the bin and get another one!].

Usage Experience:

Well first I wish to explain is, this JB branded pump is also the same brand "DonBaby" made in taiwan, China. The box shows it as made in taiwan, ROC [they want to hide the fact that it is made in China from we people. How many will notice the ROC Republic Of China acronym?

The very intention was bad, they could have told me this was a Chinese product, rebranded by us in India, so you make the choice. Instead they cheated me by calling it as JB brand machine, and persuading me to buy this one!

We came home and sat after dinner to test the pump. It is a SEMI~Automatic pump. BEWARE, it does not release on its own, it does not have any rhythmic setting to mimic the baby suction. It is just like a manual pump, but it is either battery/adapter operated. You have to keep pressing the release button to make it work properly.

1. Cleaning the motor is easy.
    2. Cleaning/Sterilizing the parts other than the motor is easy, it can be steam sterilized. Good
    3. Suction power can be adjusted. Good [but the placement of the dial is awkward, I like the new Pigeon pump with a side dial: Rs.4450 March/April 2011 price]
    4. After a coupe of minutes of operation, it started to extract milk, had to adjust the dial for suction.
    5. There is no suction nozzle adjustment, [Pigeon has 2 +1 nozzles to allow different suction levels]
    6. The Motor is not silent. Could be more silent, I felt it was buzzing. Cannot use in office premises
    7. There is a silicon adapter for the Nipple Cone. Comes in handy, better to use this to save the soft skin on the breast area.

Seriously BAD

1. NO Warranty! [Pigeon comes with a 6 month Warranty] Pigeon is Japanese made! Silent motor,
    2. NOT BPA Free. So the bottle nor the Plastic body are NON BPA Free, cannot store your milk in there. I will be searching for a BPA~Free Bottle that will fit this Pump. [Avent/Pigeon/Nuby]
    3. Buzzing Noise

Use caution before purchasing from JustBorn. JB Breast pump is actually DonBaby [China] product.
    If cost is your problem, get the new Pigeon pump, it is Rs.2000 more than this, worth the piece of mind. It comes with warranty, and a BPA free plastic.

Buy this if you plan to use it occasionally, to release engorgement. Still i would think I wont pay a penny more to these guys who are not ethically honest.

JustBorn = Dishonest people!

8. rajshri11

rajshri11 New IL'ite

Hi, Am planning to buy breast pump for rental. Can anyone guide me??

Thanks in Advance,
    Rajshri.