1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Breast Pump and Insurance

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by peartree, Dec 9, 2014.

1. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Hi All

I am due to give birth to my second daughter in about 2 weeks. I tried very hard to breastfeed my first LO, but did not work out they way I wanted. This time, I am very particular about breastfeeding.

I see that with Obamacare, breast pumps are now covered by insurance... at least certain types. From what I checked on the Medela website, it looks like ours is accepted. Can anyone tell me exactly on what the process is to order a pump and how long would it take to reach? Our insurance is a 0 deductible plan, so hospital visits etc., are completely covered except the co-pay for sick visits. I am not sure how it works for breast pumps though, and the Medela website doesn't appear to offer too much information.

Can someone throw some light on this, please?

2. arch1984

arch1984 Senior IL'ite

hi Peartree

y dont u talk to ur insurance guys....dey can help u

Dey will suggest u to buy from specific vendors where it is 100% covered...i got my pump completely free of cost...as insurance took up d whole thing

talk to ur insurance guys clearly...they can guide u....

3. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Hi Peartree,

I am exactly in same situation (C-section is scheduled on 01/16) and have Aetna insurance. I did some research on Breast pump through insurance.

Each insurance have their own set of vendors who verify your detail and ship you breast pump. You will need to call those vendor and place order for BP (within 30 days of your due date). They will confirm from your insurance and Dr for due date. Some time it takes 2-3 weeks so it would be better to place now.

Type of pump also depends on your insurance plan (mine give medela advance electric).

4. MahaB13

MahaB13 Gold IL'ite

peartree,
    Check out edgepark. they are medical supplies company and I processed my breast pump through them. The options that they have is not much, so take that into consideration as well. They would take all the details, like insurance, due date, doctors name, and would process the order for you.

5. Rinkyuma

Rinkyuma New IL'ite

Hi,
    I just called my insurance to check and they provided me with two suppliers, one of them were edge park, just called them and placed an order for the model which I wanted since they have 5 different models. They took care of getting prescription from doctor too. I ordered the pump after delivering in August. Hope this helps you. I have blue cross blue shield insurance.

6. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Thank you ladies, for your inputs :)

I did call my insurance and they gave me the number for my provider. It was pretty easy process, I was eligible for the Medela Pump In style and Ameda Purely Yours. I chose the Medela pump because I found the reviews to be better.

I was at home with my first one, and so I decided to buy the cheaper Lansinoh.... so I actually do have another pump at home. Hopefully, my bf-ing would work well this time around!

1 person likes this.
  7. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

@peartree
    Order it before baby comes. You will need it right away.

call your insurance first (they might give to sm phone nums) and also your ob-gyn. Your ob-gyn will know some medical equipment providers and they will most likey have you sign a form(I rembr). Then it is easy and fast.

Someone will call to ask your needs and additional equipment with extra charges.
    They do not tell you much about pumps as they do not want you to reach for most expensive ..right.

So do your homework based on your needs. Usually they have medela double electric advanced pump in style.
    Its very good. You might have to buy additional storage bags and shields for your size which you can get from them right away with extra charge or later from any babies store ( which i recommend).

Because after using it couple times, you will know your needs better.

1 person likes this.
  8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@peartree - Medela Pisa was what I used too. I had someone buy it from the US for me. Worked like a charm! I'm sure you'll get good use out of it especially when you head back to work.
    Btw, those LCs that come home really know their stuff. Why don't you look into having one over after the baby gets here? Will help with the nursing.

1 person likes this.
  9. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

@sanjuruby3 - I ordered it already. I was told it will take 8-10 business days to get it shipped. So I should get it right before or on my due date.

@Laks09 - Yes! I definitely have a lot of regard for LCs, for sure. I did have one with my first one back in Texas, but it kind of got to a point where nothing could really be done, it is a pretty long story!

I was put on pretty strong painkillers after my C-Sec and I guess that passed on through whatever little I could feed her which made my LO also sleep quite a lot. Also, the hospital nursery messed up by confusing instructions from another parent to keep the baby in the nursery with a formula feed with ours and did not bring her for a feed at all! My husband and I were exhausted and realized after a good 5 hrs that it had been a while since our child was brought to us! Upon checking with the nursery, they said she had been fed a bottle and changed, as we had instructed! Of course, it became a huge issue with enquiries and all that... but also with her sleeping a lot because of the drugs.... she lost a lot of weight and we had to supplement while at the hospital. The LC at the hospital was on her way out... so we had not researched renting a pump and things like that... so with the erratic initial feeding schedule, my supply did not set in sufficiently. I still tried to bf after we came home and completely stopped the formula. But she lost even more weight, and at her first appointment her pediatrician was livid and asked us to immediately start supplementing. I had been starving my daughter without knowing it :hide:

That's when I started consulting with a LC, and I was eventually marginally able to increase my supply with pumping.... but by then my daughter had gotten too used to the formula and the speed of the bottle, she would scream murder when I tried to bf :-( I still pumped as much as I could.... so I would say she was about 30% bf-ed... but primarily formula fed!

I am hoping this time around, I am more lucky! And the good thing is the nurses here at the hospital in California I met with seem to be very pro-breast feeding and are very encouraging. I had to get monitored for a false alarm labor 2 weeks back and they were very encouraging even then about my desire to breast feed when we were chatting. So hopefully it will all work out this time :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

PT,
    Don't worry, this time will be different! My milk came in only 10 days post baby #2. With my older one I think it was more than a week after delivery.
    My son was a tiny preemie and was tube fed for a long time. He latched only at 4/5weeks I think. He started exclusively nursing only at 2 months(until then I pumped and bottle fed part of the time for monitoring his intake etc).
    I still was able to do it with the support of nurses and support staff. It seems the second time around supply establishes easier(some mammary glands are more or such explanation that I forgot, LC in India told me).
    Pumping with the PISA was what kept my supply ready for my son while he wasn't able to nurse. Getting the Pisa is a very good decision. If the baby isn't latching right, start pumping. It will keep your supply going.