Breast milk pumping ladies

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by AnithaPartha, Feb 25, 2014.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hi ladies,

Those who are pumping milk, can you please let me know how are you storing milk? Last time I had more supply of milk and our hospital gave plenty of small bottles in which I stored milk and filled up my freezer. So, just thought to check if you got bottles in bulk from hospital or from shops?

If shops, where to buy ?

Usually, 4-5 we can buy in babies r us as they ll be expensive ( Medela).. Can you please throw some thoughts on this?

I got free plastic covers to storing milk .. But I don't like to use them.. As thawing milk and all won't be easy with plastic bags like bottles..

1 person likes this.

2. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

I used medela breast milk storing plastic bags(like ziploc).I thawed the milk by keeping the bag iin hot water and used.If the milk is in freezer then i kept it in fridge over night so that it gets thawed.

1 person likes this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Anitha,
    I got friends to buy the lansinoh BM storage bags from the us. I lay them flat in the freezer with the milk and once frozen in a BM freezer storage rack. It was very easy to thaw this under running water. Easier than bottles. And they have an easy pour spout. I also used Medela that you can use directly in the Medela pump but they were too flimsy and leaked more than the lansinoh. No issues with lansinoh.

4. AnithaPartha

Great to hear that JGVR. So, where did you buy them in USA? are they re-usable or we need to dispose them?

Yeah, I feel that plastic bags are cheaper and easy to use when compared to bottles.

5. AnithaPartha

Oh.. good to hear Laks..

Between, I will be using Ameda breast pump. So, you mean to say you directly pump the milk into the plastic bag and store them?

6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Anitha,
    Yes, the Medela bags can be used with Medela pumps. I had a Medela PISA and could pump into the bag directly but I felt those Medela bags were too flimsy. The lansinoh ones cannot be used with the pump but were easy enough to transfer milk into.
    I would rely on amazon reviews for this. I'm sure things have changed since I had DS and there are better things out there.

L

7. shrutimanjunath

shrutimanjunath Platinum IL'ite

Anitha you would be guiding me from scratch how you do it. I have no idea on this

8. AnithaPartha

Sure Shruti. I will.

Laks,
    I've got Ameda breast pumo (insurance covered). So, I made need to use Ameda bottles while pumping and I may need to transfer it to other bottles or bags.

I got 2 bottles from enfamil to store breast milk (2oz bottles). When I called them up, they said 12 bottles cost $15 (2oz each).. Am just thinking whether to go for 2oz bottles or bags. I think bags are also expensive right.

I may have to start work after 8 weeks or so (post delivery) so I may really need to think of options.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I'll wait for other ladies updates on this.

9. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

I have heard that BM pumping helps in increasing BM supply and also in losing weight post delivery...Is that true?

10. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

I stored BM in BPA free evanflo bottles. I bought them from amazon. I think i got them ~1/bottle. It is expensive than storage bags but cheaper than medela bottles. but i prefer bottles due to health concerns over the storage bags.