1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Breast milk even after stopped feeding more than 7months ago?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by lathangi.ch, Apr 18, 2012.

1. lathangi.ch

lathangi.ch Bronze IL'ite

Hello moms,
    I am in a medical emergency situation. I exclusively breast fed my baby for first 2 months and i had to stop for medical treatment which cannot be started until 6 months after i stop BFing. So after 6months before the treatment, i squeezed my breasts in the shower and found droplets of milk and when told my doctor she ordered for prolactin test. Here are my Prolactin test results in last week of feb,2012 - 22.8 NG/ML

Prolactin Reference Ranges in females:
    Pre-menopausal 3.3 - 26.8 ng/mL

Based on my results my doctor confirmed it's not because of milk secretion and some women will have milk even after 1 year. She said it is not advisable in my situation to use pills to dry up the milk.

My question is, could any one of the experienced moms help me with some home remedies that dry up the milk in both of the breasts.

Thanks in advance.

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I read that keeping cold cabbage leaves on breasts would help in reducing the supply. You will have to keep changing the leaf as and when it wilts
    Eating parsley also helps.

1 person likes this.
  3. akijay

akijay Bronze IL'ite

I agree with ramya..I have also heard of cabbage leaf..My friend dried up her milk supply using the leaves for 3 to 4 days..try it..

1 person likes this.
  4. Visasri

Visasri Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    You can also wear jasmine flower strings around your neck. You will get results in 2 days.

1 person likes this.
  5. lathangi.ch

Awww... thanks a ton ramya and akijay. I will definitely try cabbage leaves. I am hoping the best would happen and dry up the milk.

@visasri - I live in US. it's really hard to find jasmine flowers :( appreciate your idea..Wow 2days is really very short time..

My bad.. i waited too long to post my question. i should have done this long before when i found i still have milk supply.. anyways better late than never. Thank you so much moms for ur wonderful ideas. i will definitely try and let you know.

Thanks again
    Latha

6. lathangi.ch

Hi ramya,akila - I tried cabbage leaves from the past 4days and when i squeezed i still see BM. My doctor's appointment is coming up and if they find milk in my breasts they are going to further postpone my treatment. I am worried, in fact terrified right now.

Should I stop squeezing? or should i squeeze out all the milk and try keeping cabbage leaves? i am feeling bad that i could not find jasmine flowers to give it a try :(

7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

See if there is any Hindu temple near by and check with the priest; they will have an idea about where to find jasmine flowers. Sorry, couldn't be of much help.
    Or better yet, they might also give you flowers. I wonder how effective this is though. In Tamil nadu, jasmine flowers are used by almost all women; even pregnant and new moms.

Continue the cabbage leaf thing; many say that it works.

1 person likes this.
  8. lathangi.ch

That's a good thought. But they are too far from my place. I will check with local indian grocery shopowner.
    Today morning,My mom told me,when my sister had trouble BF my niece, her doctor told about using jasmine flowers to dry up the milk. So i think it works. I seriously want to try all the remedies i could do.

Oh god!! it's been more than 8months now. God only knows why i still have BM.

9. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

Lathangi : Jasmine really works. I had to use during pregnancy time. Strangely, I had some fluid (not milk)collection in my breasts (maybe due to side-effects of progesterone hormones injection). But i used to wear the flowers directly on breasts(not around neck). Do you feel it is refilling? I think if you keep expressing it will keep on refilling. Do you have pain because of too much milk? If no, then i think it is not refilling, which in your case should be good news.

10. lathangi.ch

@polymorphic - I don't know why but after reading ur reply, I felt happy. I don't know if it is refilling. I am not expressing as I afraid that it might produce more milk. poor knowledge.. not sure if i should express it. I don't have any pain, no feel of milk. as i said earlier just few drops of milk when i squeeze it real hard. and also please check my prolactin test results in my first post.