Breaking News of News Channels

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by shreyashreyas, Dec 17, 2009.

1. shreyashreyas

shreyashreyas Gold IL'ite

Well, I hope i am writing this under the correct forum...

There are more than 20 news channels. Every time i change the channels either one of them will be airing some breaking news on child molestation, child killings, burglary, murder, homicides, suicides, harrasing women, beating people to death.

Every day, it happens. I am astonished to see that so many bad things happen to people.

I know that these are news. Incidents taking place at a place brought to us. But I also feel that after seeing these everyday, my trust in people has reduced. I dont trust any body.

To be very specific, after watching nithari killings and the following days breaking news, i never allowed my children to go to even my neighbours. If some body stopped on the evening walks to talk to my children, who were toddlers then, i would stick to them so close.

Now after seeing so many robbery, killings in neighbourhood, i am afraid even to open the gate for the courier people.

Where are we heading to.... In this way if we proceed some day each family will be disconnected from the other.

Just wanted to share if these news channels are just spreading news or they are also spreading the fear among us?

2. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

Sandhya,

Bad things are only publicised widely, spoken about.

Good things rarely get attention and even if telecast only for a shorter duration.

Lot of good things go unnoticed. See this thread of yours went unnoticed for long time.

We will have to filter what we come across. An individual is the best judge what's good or bad for themselves.

Even the bad things do teach us some good things - how to be careful, tackle if we come across a situation like that, etc.

We need to educate our children how to differentiate the touch & feel of outsiders in the case of molesting.

For the fear of the bad stuff around, we can't lock ourself in our homes.

Caution is what is to be exercised.

When the same stuff is being repeated, ignore the channel and flip to the next one - where your favorite SHREYA will give movements similar to that of a Snake winding around a tree to digest it's prey.:biglaughI know you hate her and the dance movements, her dress sense.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  3. shreyashreyas

Hi Natpudan,

As you said i have taught my kids about good touch and bad touch. but even though i feel that they are not getting what i try to say. but now i have come out of those and see to it that they are not jailed inside the home but are let free under my surveillance. As you said after my daughter imitated the actress i have not allowed them to see movie stuff more. but i cant avoid fully.

What the news channels are showing is the ugly reality of life. but what i feel is that they should be proportionate in showing the beauty of life also.

4. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

When the same horrid images of a riot/violence/attack are seen repeatedly, its natural for fear psychosis to set in. I know many people keep switching between different news channels just to see how each channel is reporting the same news. They end up fully mesmerised by the horrid images and soundbytes.
    Luckily we have the remote in our hand. Once a particular news item is seen, the information registered, we can choose to move away from the same story if shown in the other channel. Luckily too, we do have no-news channels also ( Nat Geo, Discovery, Hallmark , Animal planet etc) in case we feel the need to continue sitting in front of the idiot box.
    Ofcourse, its best not to watch TV at all. News headlines ( without the shrieking anchor's voice) can be got from the computer home page and the details from the newspapers ( evening or next day).
    After all, the world was going about its business even before channels started "Breaking news" and breaking our heads !

5. yams

yams Platinum IL'ite

hi sandhya akka!!
    its human nature tat we always wish to see good things and feel the beauty of life but is tat possible in life life also has two extremes ka!!
    its similar tat u want ur baby to get up and walk and if it suddenly fells down wont u alone it to walk again???

ur fearness is natural for all mothers!!!but its a little superstitious too!!the decision u have taken right now seems to be good.....there is no use in jailing ur children at home!!

it may affect their happiness and also confidence!!this may even continue in their later years so please let them allow free and be careful as now in saving them but without their knowledge because after they grow up they may feel it as a disturbance too!!

and coming to the channels we have to be selective oly and cant blame everyone because they try in making money a lot and dont much concentrate on society and social problems so my suggession ll be that u may avoid such channels and even try out with better one for ur family tooo!!!:thumbsup

6. shreyashreyas

yamini,

I have completely stopped watching news channels... so i dont have those unwanted fears now... moreover my kids i cant stop them from going out, so i have to run behind them always

7. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

IMO, TV news is not good because it is primarily used to induce fear and unrest which is bad for us at all levels. Also media is known to be used to control public opinion against communities, for political gain etc. I prefer reading news sites so I can pick and chose at a glance the news items that interest me.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010