1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking Down---indian Matchmaking

Discussion in 'TV' started by blindpup10, Aug 27, 2020.

1. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

INDIAN MATCHMAKING from Netflix showed how daunting the whole process of finding a prospective bride/ groom from the Indian community can be.
    Sima Thapria- Indian Auntie true to her name. Who has answers to all your questions :shocked:
    Pradhyuman Maloo- Wants a partner to have an open mind and to be very attractive.
    Aparna Shewakramani- Doesn't want to marry a lawyer and has achieved everything under the sun.:worship2:
    Nadia Jagessa- beautiful Gynaeese Indian who has the looks, successful business, who is doing everything right.:number_one:
    Akshay Jakhete- Momma's boy! who is really being pushed to marry at 25 :eek:
    Vyasar Ganesan- Big cuddly teddy bear, who loves to smile and is trying so hard to find a partner.
    Ankita Bansal- beautiful+sucessful independent businesswoman with a no-nonsense attitude.:cheer:
    Shekar Jayaraman- a sharply dressed guy, a successful lawyer.:biggrin:
    Rupam Kaur- Single- mom, went to religious camp growing up and her father treats her like she is 12.:facepalm:

Watched it, critiqued it with sister, cousins, friends, and I still can't stop talking about this show.

The show portrays what's wrong in our society- colorism, castism, capitalism, family pressure, male chavism, elders who don't WANT to understand their kids.
    The topics from this show are endless. Let's dip in your thoughts that what really shocked/ related that was on the show. I know this show is highly edited. My perspective is on what I saw, not what many more things were chosen not to be included. Producers edited it out for a reason.

I didn't use matchmaker, I was on online matrimony though. In my gen, most of the people I know are looking/talking to prospective partners by ourselves without involving parents.
    A lot of my cousins, including me, found partners on matrimony talked before we asked for parent's ok to get married.
    Few of my cousins have used matchmakers.

Cousins who have gone through matchmakers are either ultra rich+traditional or have very specific standards that they or their families have for the partners.

But one thing that I can relate to the show was how my mom was freaking out that I wasn't married well into being 27.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    KashmirFlower likes this.

2. blindpup10

I loved Ankita Bansal on the show- I wish I was her and grew up with such a supportive father.
    She is so beautiful I don't even understand why she is made to feel that she is not. Like she says on the show " she was told by her relatives that she has to be thin".
    Goodness! who said being thin will help in landing a husband?! and why should it be?

And Sima even didn't take the responsibility of finding a prospective alliance under the name of she doesn't have many connections in Delhi!!! She clearly pushed Ankita over to a much more nontraditional matchmaker. And I forget the name of the Delhi based matchmaker- she had the audacity to tell Ankita that she has to accept men's decision in the end giving her own example of how she forgave everything to follow her husband.

What are these matchmakers missing?? A dose of today's reality? or are they actually listening to what the clients want?

3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Watched only first episode, can't comment yet.

4. blindpup10

Look forward to reading your inputs.

5. netflx

netflx Gold IL'ite

These are reality shows designed to be controversial and the more discussions they generate due to their controversies, the more 'successful' the shows. We need to understand that this is by-design.
    Also matchmakers are (financially) successful when they make a match happen. They dont care if the marriage subsequently is successful or not.

6. blindpup10

The show is definitely creating discussion. It is a wrong idea to approach or to just say that all reality show is about making controversy for TRP! and by design, they make it controversy for them to be successful?!!

Discussing is a good thing. If people discuss and understand what the problems in society are, the 2 people having discussion may actually understand and learn something.

Instead of brushing it under the carpet or saying "Show is making controversy to gain success". will not get you to talk or see the problems in the society.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  7. netflx

netflx Gold IL'ite

Frankly, a lot of these discussions were happening in many circles widely amongst Indians over couple of decades now (at least). I really dont believe this one show has suddenly awakened the discussion. Do you honestly think that reality show (or any other show for that matter) is not about TRP ? If you talk to (any) show producers off-the-record, it will become very clear actually. That's not to say, they should not make these shows, but need to be cognizant of the motive. Of course they will have subsequent seasons if the TRP is good, or will cancel it if weaker TRP.

8. blindpup10

I created this thread to talk about the show and the societal problem that the Indian community has faced during the matchmaking process that the show projected.
    Not about if or if not the show is all about TRP.
    If you have anything to add about your experience that was frustrating or found is obnoxious that you had to do in the name of tradition please add to this thread.

9. netflx

netflx Gold IL'ite

So many of the obnoxious things in the show yes but just saying they have always been happening and have been talked about (even in many threads here, as well discussion amongst friends and family outside). Will let you drive the thread, thanks.
    My comment in post above was about your question: "What are these matchmakers missing?? A dose of today's reality? or are they actually listening to what the clients want?"

10. blindpup10

It's true its always been happening, before the show, it will happen after the show. The topics have been discussed in the thread, in our lives apart from this outlet.. and yet it still happens.
    Why?
    Why are you not adding to this thread? Instead, saying its already been discussed?
    Yes, it has.
    These are the same problems and issues that humans have encountered from the ages of Krishan and Draupadi.

Ideology and society change only when a large number of people conclude and stop a practice.