breakfast with p

Discussion in 'Jokes' started by sathya, May 6, 2007.

1. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

summer is here..
    when we were kids we used to spend the summer vacation at chennai in our grandma's place near santhome. it is usual for everyone in my pattis place to eat lunch at 8.30 am to catch the bus and be away to work..we stayed at home and wouldnt have anything to do with eating lunch so early but if they insist we just might eat but demand something to eat very soon say by 10 or 11a.m

patti soon found a way..it was pazheyadu or old rice soaked in water overnight mixed with buttermilk and salt this was served with maanga..or p with ericha keerai..or p with maavadu..she had quite a list of things to go with p like kothamalli thokku, inji maanga, keerai masiyal, thenga thogayal etc
    with four or us and more from my uncles and aunts places we had quite a few `eating population' and though the old rice was `full' in a huge adukku..we we almost fighting over it..

paatti served it in different ways..one day it was in banana leaves, next in round dry stitched leaf plates, if she had the time we would sit around to have it served in our hands..

p was sometimes wrungout of its water and mixed with a little til oil and salt and made into tiny balls... with vathakuzhambu or sambar to go with it..this is even more tastier than the one running like buttermilk..!!she said this was good for the stomach, to keep it cooling and tastes wonderful too..!

my father used to say that it was p for all children all the three (or more) times and the elders were served with oru muzha dosai...dosai in great number..!!

a hot climate demands we take this cooling drink/eat or slurp everyday to keep cool..

children these days demand breakfast and moms/aunts and pattis to agree to make yummy ones but is there anything to beat the great...breakfast with pazhayadu?

sathya

2. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

Dear sathya,
    very well written:2thumbsup:,hmm it remember me my golden days.
    mine was very big fl'y, also my aunt's fl'y (my father's sister)stayed in the 1st floor of my parents house,my uncle (father's brother)fl'y stays in next house,so very big fl'y,so every weekend night in terrace(mottai maadi)in moon light v'll have our dinner,my mom ,my aunties will prepare different items & so v all have our food together with varieties with delicious taste. my aunt will give sambhar rice,rasam rice,curd rice with curries,pickles,in our hand,1st childrens will have our food then only elders,my grandfather will tell stories,so v donno how much v ate:-D.
    v'll have pazhaya saadam only on sundays with kothamali thuvaiyal,manga thokku,kadaarangai orugai,nellikai orugai,cut mango,ginger pickle,mavadu,something like this,while writing this i felt like crying,those golden dyas will never ever come back:cry:
    now everyone gone out ,now only my parents r there,only my aunty(periamma) is there.

3. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

hey ....you
    running away with the pickle
    cart..?
    kothamali thuvaiyal,manga thokku,kadaarangai orugai,nellikai orugai,cut mango,ginger pickle,mavadu,
    ya those days are over...
    perhaps it will come again
    with gen gen next..!!

sathya

4. chitrajan

chitrajan Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sathya,

Being in the Gulf, we have to endure the summer and long travel times and therefore in summer our breakfast is definitely Pazhaiyadhu with salt and finely cut raw onions for all of us every alternate day. Hubby was skeptical at first but once he realised the cooling effects, he asks for it every day. No pickles for us though.

It not only helps cool our system but also is easy to make in the morning rush :wink: :mrgreen:

Vijee and you also brought fond memories of kai sappadu and nila sappadu. I now only tell stories of my life to my sons.

Summava sonnanga periayavanga

5. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

mm...
    slurp
    pazhayadu..

sathya