1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Breakfast recipes for toddler

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by vidhya2810, Jun 22, 2015.

1. vidhya2810

vidhya2810 Silver IL'ite

ya will try my level best silverngold, crayoness n resmij
    thank you

2. Gauthami

Gauthami New IL'ite

Hi if he like rotis, take one roti make a bit and pieces as small as you can mix it with curd. You can buy manna health mix or nirapara health mix from indian store and take one or two spoon of it make it like a kanji semi solid one mix it with one spoon ghee and light brown sugar or panakalkandu this is a healthy breakfast my son still love it he is 3.3 years old. i give him everything whatever we eat. my menu for my son is idli sambar, upma, poha, dosa, egg dosa with cheese, idiyappam, on weekends appam with coconut milk. bread omelette, chappathi omelette. make omelette without onions and chillies with white pepper powder, salt, turmeric powder dip the bread in it and toast them. for chappathi omelette make two small chappathis cooked one and put one in tawa pour the egg mixture to it and take another chappathi and close it toast it two sides in medium flame. cut it with pizza cutter it tastes yummy. in afternoon i give buttermilk too. try these ones if you want i can give you some more recipes.

3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Does he eat snacks? Does he chew snacks without problems? If yes, then you can give him regular food instead of mashing everything. It will take some time but he will start eating normal food.

4. vidhya2810

vidhya2810 Silver IL'ite

Hi ramyaramani he wont eat any snacks :(:(:(

5. Archnaraj

Archnaraj Senior IL'ite

If he likes idly then you can try to give him small uthapam the size of your palm or even smaller. I used to give this to my son a year back. Now he eats full size uthapam. You can grate carrot and add some gravy cashews. It would taste good as well. You can even spread nutella or give this with milk.

I used to mash cooked and salted veggies like potato, cauliflower, carrot and peas and mix together add this on top of a slice of bread (cut out the edges), put a cheese slice and heat this in the oven it would taste like Pizza. Cut this into small bite size pieces so that he can pick it up and eat.

Hope this helps. Good luck to get him eat on his own. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. bhagya85

bhagya85 Silver IL'ite

Hi Vidya,
    Practically speaking you can not expect a 2.6 years old kid to have chapathi,paratha,upma,poha at 8am.To tell you frankly,even my husband finds difficult to eat all this at 7 in the morning before going to office.shakehead

My suggestion would be instead of giving milk and idly,try making some less spicy chutneys(tomato chutney,coconut chutney) or try making less spicy idly podi at home cut idly into small pieces sprinkle some idly podi and add sesame oil (its good for health as well) or ghee.You can make uttapam (u can try making coin size and make him eat on his own)and sprinkle some idly podi and try.Try some varities of puttu like rice or ragi,add more ghee to make it soft and easy.you can also give puttu with banana,it will taste good.Try giving butter toasted bread with jam,guess most of the kids love this(including my son).You can give semiya upma with sugar,kids like this .

Reagrding mashed fruits,I think to start with banana and mango is the right fruit.don't mash it fully try giving him in very small pieces.It will definitely take time as some kids tend to vomit if we give them in pieces.don't force him on anything,some kids take their own time.Anything you try new do it when he is relaxed and at home.Once he likes it then you can make it for breakfast.

Reagrding self feeding,You can start with self feeding of some snacks like chips, pori(they have fun when eating it),fryums(guess you remember those that we put in our fingers and eat).Don't worry!!! he will learn.

1 person likes this.
  7. vidhya2810

vidhya2810 Silver IL'ite

Uthappam recipe please I mean idli batter r dosa batter

8. bhagya85

bhagya85 Silver IL'ite

vidya,
    u can do with idly batter itself..Jus loosen the batter a little with water(or dosa batter) and make coin size uttampam..:)

9. Armaity25

Armaity25 Silver IL'ite

Hi Vidhya,

Do not fret.Every kid is different.Since your son is still on soft and mashed foods you can try the following to get him accustomed to the taste and then gradually start with foods without mashing.You can give him ambil which is nothing but a tbsp of nachni flour cooked with a little water and then diluted with buttermilk (if he likes) or normal milk and pinch of salt and pepper (optional).You can give it to him in a sipper in the morning and he can have it all by himself.Dahi poha,milk poha,upma,oats porridge are some other options you could consider.Apart from this,some days you could even try some moong or moong dal dhirdi.These dosas are soft enough for the kid to have on their own along or if not you could crumble it in milk and give him.Nachni sevai or noodles simply steamed and kept in the fridge could be given to the kiddo with milk or coconut milk.Wheat flour sheera made with very little ghee,little sugar and dates puree or regular sheera with fruit puree too could be tried.When introducing chapati mix a banana in it or any fruit puree or atleast knead the dough with milk,this makes the chapati soft...we call it dashmi.If possible try to keep some soft solids in bite sized portions in front of him like paneer cubes or steamed carrot cubes or banana slices or mini idlis,etc.If possible try to play with colours by using beetroot puree or spinach puree or pumpkin puree or tomato puree or any fruit puree while making dosas or idlis or parathas or rice.It should work if you try to introduce one food at a time and keep him supervised so that there is no choking hazard while handling finger foods.Take care dear and hope this helps.