1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Breakfast for Toddler(extra fussy/picky eater)???!!!!!

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by swaran, Jun 21, 2011.

1. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi All,

As few of you might know ,my DD is a fussy eater(too much)...even though she likes to eat but she refuses to eat when i am there....breakfast is getting too tough these days because she wakes up before i leave for office....its one month now since i stopped BF her and thank god she has started drinking milk(touchwood) but then in lesser quantities but i am just happy that she has started with that habit...

so now after she wakes up and till i leave home,she does not eat anything(i have tried so much) and starts to cry or become restless(because of hunger) untill i leave for office(i get very late for office because she does not leave me too)...my MIL says she takes milk after i leave for office but then she stays without eating/drinking anything till i leave...its like 1-2 hours..i am so worried....rarely she takes biscuit before i leave but that too not fully...she throws away the balance and starts to cry and get irritated....

we have tried the following breakfast till now(milk she does not drink when i give during the morning hours)

oats,dosa,idly,any south indian tiffin items,biscuits,milk,bread(with jam/sauce.whatever she likes)

i really want to give her some healthy breakfast...other times are also tough but i want to concentrate on her breakfast first because she gets very irritated because of hunger ..i feel so gulity and worried for this since i am not able to properly feed her any thing during the morning hours....so please help me with some breakfast items that she would love to take....please share your LO 's breakfast recipes too... also kindly suggest some simple ones which take less time to make as i have to finish some other household chores before i leave for office(i need to leave at 9AM)......other than the food issue DD is super active...

PS :: DD likes sweet items but not too much sweet
    likes little masala items...should not repeat the items
    normal tiffin items and bread just dont seem to work
    Kindly avoid recipes that require an oven to make

Thanks in Advance

2. headspin

headspin Bronze IL'ite

Swaran,

i can understand how you feel. i too face this. but thankfully its rare.

but i feel ths main issue here is - she misses BF (since you fed her so long). but good you stopped it.

other reason i felt with my DS was - he dint want me to feed him. but would eat if it was self feed. so give her things that she can pick herself and eat on her own. this made a huge difference for my DS.

what i usually give my DS before leaving for work (i sometimes leave as early as 7 am as i get back home by 3 pm):

1. idly cut in pieces with sambar or rasam and i give him his fork. (never give idly with jam/sauce/chutney/pode or dry items which make it difficult for them to swallow).
    he loves to feed himself with the fork and will finish 1 idly within 2 mins. as stomach fills, speed is reduced, but still he will eat on his own. which is a good habbit

2.othapam or dosa with veg filling - again in pieces - he will eat is his own time, but self feeding is important

3. milk - mandatory: i give him atleast 150 ml milk - usually first in the morning with complan (try flavours like chocolate, mango, etc if dhrithi doesnt like plain milk). if not milk in some form - rava/dalia/oats porridge with milk (you can mix fruit in the milk and then make the porridge). add sugar if the child likes. mine doesnt.

4. egg - if you are a non veg: i give him bulls eye. sprinkle cheese and pepper on it. he loves it. or boiled egg. he loves the white but not yellow.

5. bread - he is not much of a fan of bread. but at time he will have toast with butter. again only if given in his hands. never by someone feeding him

6. finally - the good old - cerelac/nestum etc///

the key i feel can make difference is - self feeding or someone else feeding her.

all the best:)

2 people like this.
  3. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

dear Headspin....

thanks a lot for your first feedback....and glad that you dont face my kind of situation :)

so to answer your questions...

yes we do allow her to eat on her own but morning times,she doesn't like...i too give her a plate with fork and spoon..infact i have tried changing the colours and shapes of plates.spoon fork and her sipper/tumbler too...nope nothing works especially during berakfast...

and also as you say,i literally had to forcefully stop her from taking my BM(obviously the reason was to make her eat other foods) and she is damn angry for that...i can see that hence i am not able to force anything on her,,,its just one month since i stopped so many say the anger(this much we have never seen inher) is the kind of strike she is trying to show since i stopped BF...so i am just waiting...

what you say is perfectly right,but again she hates to even look at these items for breakfast....but when i give these,i make sure she tries out self feeding..only when that doesn't work,i try to feed her...
    only for chappati i give her sauce/jam...other than that,i try out with some gravy or atleast with sugar...
    thanks for the information anyways

again here too,she hates to take s sip...even if she takes milk as soon as she wakes up,i ll feel very happy...how much ever delicious it may be..i have tried pediasure and flavoured syrups....but complan i have not tried till now...letme check out...

sorry pure veg....:)

bread with butter and jam...tried and tired but i have not toasted...letme try....

this is complete no ...she used to eat ceralac but not now.......

this happens almost everyday ,atleast if i dont give...i ask my MIL,FIL or whoever is available to feed her...again sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't....because if she knows that i am at home,there is big strike

thanks a lot for the wishes and will try out your tips for milk and bread toast....

4. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

I give oats, mixed with milk, raisins and some nut powder (optional) and jaggery. Cook on stove or microwave for 3-4 mins and you are done when it thickens.

5. shobna

shobna Bronze IL'ite

Hi Swaran
    Breakfast for my DS is one issue that I also break my head for.
    In my case, I have to send him to play school by 9:30, so I have to feed him breakfast before 9:15. He is also a fussy eater, and in the morning hurry, his eating tantrums would result in me going to office late. Normally, in the mornings, I just used to give him a glass of milk (he dislikes milk and takes more than 30 mins to finish that). I always used to be left with the feeling that milk is not sufficient before he leaves for play school. So recently, I have started trying the following breakfast options for him, they work out some days, and don't work out on some days. But I do see some improvement ...

1) Tried his favorite snack with milk in the morning (he likes cakes, so I used to give him a small piece of cake with milk). You can try cream-less cakes, sponge cakes with little cream etc.
    2) He likes maggi, but instead of maggi, I try giving him instant rice sevai, made little soft. He thinks it is maggi and finishes it.
    3) Sometimes, i mash banana with milk and feed him.
    4) In summer, I used to add a small spoon of icecream / shrikhand to his milk glass. He used to drink it then. You can try if she won't catch cold.
    5) I try giving him bread toast (with tomato sauce) -sometimes for breakfast and sometimes as evening snack.
    6) Try giving fruits salad with custard. Kids like it.

Hope this helps! For my DS also, variety is the key. If repeat any of above for more than 2 days, he will start disliking it. I still keep thinking of healthy breakfast options for my li'l fussy eater. I will keep following this thread for others options too :):thumbsup

6. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks sahmaara for sharing your kids breakfast menu...we do give her oats but she likes to take them during the evening time...:)

7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shobana...thanks a lot for your tips....i do have tried the cake option and sevai option but not the fruit salad one...letme check out that dear...sevai,mmmm she doesn't get tricked for this...one spoon and she identifies what it is....hehee....so next on my list would be the milk and icecrea m topping and also milk with cake...you know what,today morning when i was about to takesomething,i spotted icecream in my freezer and i just thought whether i could put it in the glass of milk but then something stopped me,came to office and found you had written the same...hehehe...what a coincidence....mmmmm ok let me try out my luck :-D

8. headspin

headspin Bronze IL'ite

swaran - by whatever you mentioned in response to my post i guess its just a phase.

like you mentioned, its been only a month and she is angry - so thats explains it all.

dont worry - we just gotta be patient and give them more time. If it still continues, and he weight/health is not upto level - speak to her pediatrician.

i can understand when you say - with you around nothing helps. same here... when im around he doesnt want or need anything/anyone else. just clinging to me like glue.. not allowed to go to loo, change dress, wash hands, etc etc. one sec im out of sight, the howling strts. weekends are tiring and i wait for weekday as i can 'rest' at work :p

anyways, hang in there. kids are comfortable with consistency.

all the best :)

9. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

yeah ...it is a passing phase...thats why no one at home is insisting her too much on foods these days...

as you say i too am planning to take her to a pediatrician in case she is continuing this and i see no change in her height and weight...lets see

thanks for stepping in with your suggestions dear...:thumbsup

10. Bhagawathy

Bhagawathy Bronze IL'ite

Hi!Swaran,

I am facing this with my son past couple of weeks. I need to drop him in daycare too before I get to work. He likes waffles(not sure you get it in India) so we buy frozen ones which we can toast and give him with chocolate or strawberry syrup or make over the weekend and freeze them. He likes idlis, though occasionally doesn't eat. He would create a fuss if it was cut, needs it as a whole idli.

he likes rava or steel cut oats( it is like small grains) uppuma(because it is grainy) and javvarisi uppuma(can pick and eat or with spoon). he likes cereals too but give them more as a snack as I prefer he eats something more heavier. He likes banana bread , you can bake at home without eggs over the weekend and give it.YOu can also try making nut breads and storing it and give it as a breakfast on weekdays, they are healthy. He likes fruits too which he can pick and eat and also raisins, apricots.
    Eggless Banana Bread - Recipe by Archanas Kitchen - a link for banana bread. You can check for more links.

Another thing he likes is the nethram pazham(plantain). You can cut a ripe plantain into half, make slits on the skin and wet it a little and cook in microwave for a minute(it comes out like steamed). You can then peel off skin and slice it. Then add some ghee and sprinkle sugar on it if needed. This is a healthy heavy breakfast. if you wish you can steam cook on stove and then peel skin and give the same way.