1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Brands? Worth The Value?

Discussion in 'Jewelry & Accessories' started by anika987, Jul 28, 2022.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I like brands but it’s not like an absolute need to have it nor will I mind if I own it:) However i usually dilly dally when spending so much for brands..

Sometimes these high priced branded bags like Chanel ,SIL,LV or dior look great but how often do u guys use it? Do you carry it to office everyday? Also does it have resale value?( the middle class gal in me asking this:D)

Does carrying high class brands compared to regular brands made you feel classier or is it instant gratification?

I would like to know a “rent a store“ for high end brands and use it sometime and return:) Just to know how it feels to own one:)

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

It depends on what it’s worth to you. If it brings you joy then go for it.
    You can resell at consignment shops or at sites like TheRealReal. If you want to try one out you can rent from places like Bag Borrow Steal or Rent the Runway.

shravs3, Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I was like you until very recently. I liked branded items, but then dreaded the price and the usage; hence refrained from looking for the brand while shopping.

Life is different in different places. In Sri Lanka, it is wiser to buy 10 quality, yet normal hand bags (which look like branded bags though) instead of buying 1 branded bag. Because, it gives you pleasure to change your bags as per your dressing, and it feels good to have a variety of bags in your wardrobe to chose.
    It never felt good to use the same bag (though branded) for more than a month.

But here, it feels cheap to wear a normal bag to work. Not just bags, but watch, shoes and cloths are mostly branded. Even my subordinates wear branded stuff; hence I am forced to go for branded bads, cloths & all.
    Anyways, it feels good though. I don't feel the urge to change the bags often. So, it is worth the value

Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

For the cost of one branded suit I can have atleast ten different varities and enjoy others looking at my wardrobe in awe. After all varieties spice of life. If in a circle which you can't avoid , then I would get it on hire from laundry like Band-Box for a day or two.
    I used this trick while I was a student (sophomore) in co-ed college. I used to get on hire shirts in various designs with odd size buttons and colours - wear yhem one over the other and delight midway in class by removing shirt one by one .( not strip-tease) There were no so many brands in 1961-64 you know. Thanks.

anika987 likes this.
  5. sociallifein30s

sociallifein30s Gold IL'ite

I like some things that are branded. LIke daily wear bags, watches, phone. BEcause I dont like to change things ofeten and dont want to keep an eye if they are ok everytime.

The standard daily wear black shoes and beige shows should be branded. There are 10s of other shoes which are just random once in a while shoes. The black trousers and black pencil skirt is branded. rest of them random.
    Indian wear has no specific brand though. BUt atleast one pair of bata sandals.

anika987 and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Shoes , for me shoes is something I don’t comprise on.
    And jeans too .because comfort and fitting of these two matters a lot .
    Recently bags also because of peer pressure ( also after a certain age you ( I ) feel I should just buy those prada, Gucci! If not now when . ( this is utter ******** as well , consumerism eating me well )

7. sociallifein30s

ohh yes, Jeans. Stick to the one brand and size that fits you well. BEcause those damn fittings are so difficult to find. A cheaper alternative was charter club jeans. They seem fine.
    Yea Prada sunglasses. Gucci watch, coach hand bag, chanel perfume - its the same set for every thanksgiving sale. And that if not now when thing is scary too. I wish I can invest that money in travelling but no ... damn consumerism.

ashima10 likes this.
  8. Ruby2019

Ruby2019 Gold IL'ite

I believe in cost per use. I bought my first branded bag for over $3k when I was 29. After that I regretted spending so much on it as I was guilty. But i really use it to the core. also maintain it carefully, wipe it down after use etc. I use it so much cause it’s 100% my style. For work, for casual, the fit and style I like. So don’t just go for tacky Gucci, LV. There are lots of understated branded bags (Celine, loewe). Now I don’t regret my purchase at all cause I’ve had it for so many years and my usage of it, made it very worth it. Bags do have resale value. I also encourage looking at 2nd bag where you can do your part for the environment and also satisfy our consumerism, at a good price! Vestiaire is a good one to start looking at.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Costly brands that just remain in wardrobe for months or years on end without seeing the light of the day gets naturally deteriorated as observed in leather and plastic based jackets, accessories. Silks gets spoiled if it is kept hung on an hangers inside wardrobe. The waft and weft spread out a d begin tearing along folds.

There were not many occasions to wear that dark blue wedding suit of 1975 in tropical chennai or in Mumbai then Bombay.

But once in fortnight i used to take it out , brush and wear for a while to delight my kids and spouse for around three decades i had cumulatively used only for three months or so. Finally, my spouse in 2005 managed to haggle with a street vendor & got it exchanged for ss spoon and or 10 litre plastic bucket!

Thanks and Regards.

Ruby2019 likes this.
  10. sociallifein30s

ha ha wedding suit for a spoon or a plastic bucket. ROFL

Ruby2019 and Thyagarajan like this.