BPO jobs

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by neha1, Jan 15, 2010.

1. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Hello Friends,

My sister is having 4 yrs exp. in software industry. She is not the kind who likes technical jobs. She wants to move to BPO/service industry in India.

I need inputs from you ppl about how career growth is in this industry.
    Are there only jobs for inbound/outbound calls?is there more to a BPO industry than calls?? How is the pay structure and What is the growth line? I have so many question in my mind!!!

Any kind of replies/input will be extremely helpful to us.
    Thank you.

Neha S

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010

2. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Please ask her not to move into BPO jobs. Both pay wise and work environment wise, it isnt a good move. Why does she want to waste her 4 years experience in mainstream IT and move into a BPO where she will be considered a fresher or inexperienced in that field? If she wants to change the field, it should be into something which will take her career ahead and not backwards.

If she wants to make a change from a programmer into a non-programming role, ask her to pitch for a lead role and try to move into a management position, fast tracking it by doing a PMP certification or a distance education MBA.

-Lakshmi

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  3. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Hi lakshmi,

really appreciate your response and thanks for it.
    management roles is exactly what she wants to go into 3-4 yrs(max.) down the line. so, she felt that she can easily achieve it there.
    if not a BPO,then wat is ur opinion on operations?all BPOs have operations where they need back-end staff. will that not be a better career which will eventually open doors to hard core banking(hers is banking domain now) or even management positions?

4. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Now her career objective is much more clear. If she wants to achieve her goal in 3-4 years, she can still achieve it without moving into BPO. As you said she has 4 years experience, she can look out for a lead position in a different company. Once she moves, she can start working towards her manaement objective, MBA or PMP. That way, she can achieve her goal in mainstream IT itself. And to top it all, the pay is much better when compared to managers in BPO. All depends on working continuously towards her goal.

5. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

hey lakshmi

thanks for the reply.

6. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

I agree with Lakshmi, being in IT industry I wouldn't suggest your sister to move to BPO field as life over there completely different from IT.

She can move on to a different company or ask her management team for a promotion in the same company.

Regards,
    Pandu

7. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Hello Pandusk

thanks for the reply.

what i have heard is BPO jobs have fixed timings. that is one more reason she wants interested. this is what she tells me now..... i need to find out if this is true

8. msharadha

msharadha New IL'ite

Hi Neha,

BPO jobs do have fixed timings only. you will need to work only for some 9 hours or so and then your shift ends and the next shift begins so you will have to leave the pc for the next shift to take over. But stress is equal no matter where, the nature of the stress might differ. Work will not be difficult, but it will surely be demanding. Also about growth, you will just need to performa nd you will be able to climb up the ladder with ease. Its much more easier in BPO than IT. I was in BPO for 2.8 yrs, now in IT for 3 yrs. I see alot of difference, the only disadvantage is that BPO might have night shifts.

Thanks,
    Sharadha

9. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

hey sharadha

thanks for your response...happy to hear ur comments..

what you say is exactly what my sister says and what she has heard....
    BPO jobs have fixed timings ,growth is faster compared.... only problem is the shift timing.... also ,regarding stress : i am sure it will b there in every field... just the nature will b different...

i wonder if there r ppl who move from IT to BPO:hide: ?? i know ppl moving from BPO->IT......

Neha S

10. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Neha,

As you have seen, the number of people who move from BPO to IT is much more than the people who move from IT to BPO. The numbers themselves are an indication which side is better, not only working conditions but also career growth.

One more thing, in BPO though there are day shifts, compared to night shifts, the number is very less. So there is much more competition for the available opportunities. If your sister changes to BPO, she has to continue for atleast few years before she achieves her goal of becoming a manager. I am guessing your sister isnt married yet. Also think from the perspective of what the prospective grooms or in laws might react to the fact that your sister's job involves night shifts.

-Lakshmi