1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Bottled water/Filter water/Tap water- What do you use?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Jithiks, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi IL'ites,

This topic is relevant to the entire world...since there was no separate forum for GENERAL DISCUSSIONS for everyone...I decided to open this thread under "Discussions related to USA & Canada".

Even in India, people have started using bottled water and in fact buying water due to water scarcity and health concerns.

Now over to USA/Canada....I am sure all of us use different types of water for "Drinking & Cooking".

Some prefer to use tap water, some use filters attached to kitchen faucets or pitchers for drinking & cooking and others use bottled water. Even here in US, people get their water delivered in big containers and these are replenished on a regular basis ( ofcourse for a charge)

So IL'ites, let us share what type of water we use for drinking and cooking on a day to day basis.

I will also share my opinion in the following posts...

Again, the preference can be due to health & financial reasons. We need to find what is suitable for our family and routine.

This can even be applicable to people living in India and other countries too.....

Cheers
    Krithika ( Jithiks)

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Krithika,
    We use only tap water---for cooking, drinking and what not...
    My mil takes 'Venner'.
    We drink water from the tap.. used to have filter but not now..
    Bottled water in my hubby's word-- it is our 'neighbour's water' (like maatraan thotathu malligai..)
    We buy only when we are out of station...that rarely happens...

sriniketan.

3. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Dear Jithiks,

We use can and bottled water. I heard from a friend that if we open any store-bought water, we have to finish it within 4 or 5 hours. Otherwise, it breeds bacterias. Still, we use that as the tap water tastes kind of hard.

Sri, is that the reason you use tap water?

Does anyone have any idea about this fact?

4. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Sriniketan,

Thanks for writing in.

If you are absolutely sure that the tap water is clean and good...definitely you can use them.

As for hot (veneer) tap water...if you don't mind me pointing out...there is a high content of lead that is not to be consumed for obvious health reasons.

Even though they say that there is "Lead content" in tap water, the hot water takes in more amount of lead especially from the pipe lines...

So even if people drink tap water directly, they refrain from consuming " hot" tap water for cooking & drinking, but use it only for washing.

Cheers
    Krithika ( Jithiks)

KashmirFlower likes this.
  5. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

We use the PUR water filter at home. If nothing else, it improves the taste of the tap water by filtering out lead and chlorine. Bottled water is for GYM and out of town trips only.

6. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi oviya,

Thanks for sharing this information.

You are right about tap water...it tastes bitter/salty because it is hard water.
    Even if the source of the tap water may be clean, if the pipes that it travels through are old/dirty...then automatically it gets contaminated.

Also even after the water is treated, it contains chemicals like magnesium & mercury that may even produce a reddish tint.

Keep posting more info...

Cheers
    Krithika ( jithiks)

7. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi pmahensa,

Thanks for writing here. You are absolutely right about the taste. Many people prefer filtered/bottled water because of the taste.

And yes, using water filters at home like PUR/BRITA is a healthier option than tap water.

Cheers
    Krithika ( Jithiks)

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Krithika,
    We use to boil the tap water to drink--which is the veneer I menitoned here...not the hot water directly from the tap..

thanks for bringing into notice about the lead.. it is true...

sriniketan

9. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Hi Krithika,

We use Bottled water which we get it refilled from malls or Grocery stores. I don't know how far its pure or free from bacteria. But it defn tastes better than the Tap water.

Specially the water over here in Texas is so hard that, its leaves a white Patch when u boil or heat it. Also it tastes salty and not at all suitable for drinking. But i came to know that many people use only Tap water here for Drinking.

Right now we are planning to buy a filter, but totally confused abt the brands.. Can anyone share some light on the filters?????????

Cheers
    vaidehi

10. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Sriniketan,

It is GREAT that you are boiling the tap water and not using the hot tap water.

Many friends of mine used to do that and I presumed that this was the case.

So glad to know that it is not....keep posting....

Cheers
    Krithika ( Jithiks)