Boss takes credit for my work!

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by shalini, Apr 6, 2007.

1. shalini

shalini New IL'ite

Recently I had been working on a project to implement a new technology that will substantially reduce cost and increase the speed with which we can get things to the market.

I spent close to 4 months doing all the legwork and build a concise deck that lays out the benefits, costs, timeline etc. I sent it to my boss to get his feedback on this before we can take it to several directors and get approval.

What he inturn did was take that deck and showed it to the directors individually. When I asked him, he said, "Oh, I ran into that director and hence I shared this great work" or "Oh, I was sitting next to this director in the other meeting and hence showed this deck" etc.

I don't think he explicitly said that he did the deck, the fact that he is sharing this around without my involvement concerns me. What should I do?

2. abhatv

abhatv Senior IL'ite

Hai Shalini,

I think you should bring it to the notice of the director/directors ASAP. You cannot let any one else take the credit for whatever hardwork that you did. You can try to bring it to their notice either directly or by going through anybody else who know the directors well enough ,who will really listen to you and then inform them of the true facts.Do take care and good luck.

Regards,

Abha.

3. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shalini,

I would suggest you do a couple of things..

Have a discussion with your boss. Tell him something like.."I am a little concerned that when our directors first got to see this report, I was not in the picture. I totally understand that you accidentally met them, but given the amount of work I have put into this, it would be best that we share it a little more formally. If you can provide me your feedback, I can incorporate that into to the report. Then, I can set up a meeting with the directors for us to review it with them. Do you anticipate any issues if we move forward this way?"

Secondly, If you happened to meet those directors, I would casually drop in a word like, "Hope you got to see my report that xyz shared with you. Let me know if you have any feedback on it. I might be setting up a meeting to review it with you in a little more detail".

These type of situations happen in almost all companies and is not an unusual one. For all you know, your boss might not have pre-mediated this. So, give him the benefit of doubt and handle it in a little relaxed manner. All will be well. Thanks.

4. geetha331

geetha331 New IL'ite

Hii shalini

I can understand how frustrated u must b feeling.... its infuriating wen someone else takes credit for our hard work... i had dis boss who who used 2 harass employees for no particular reason.. especially new comers.. he used 2 find fault wid everyting we do even if we do a good job.. initially i dint know how 2 react .. der were times wen i used 2 silently cry in the toilet.. i dint how to react but as time went by i realized its realy unfair and i decided i wont take it anymore.. it used 2 just eat me up inside coz i knew hes being unfair and im not able to do anything abt it.. so i made up my mind dat no matter wat the consequences are im going 2 just speak up .... wich i did... i told him exactly wat i had in mind and told him he couldnt harass me for no reason and if he intended 2 keep doing dat he could find someone else 2 do dis job.... i just said watever was der in my heart... and instantly i felt good ... he did make a bit of ruckus and complained 2 our senior manager but i honestly told my part to the senior manager and finally now my boss is good 2 me.. he dosent harass me anymore

so wat im realy tryin 2 tel u is dat u should never tolerate injustice.. der are times in life wen we realyy need 2 open up and speak... even if the consequences may not always be favourable to us it would make us feel good inside...

People will never take advantage of u if u make it clear dat u wont tolerate nonsense...
    so be brave... no one has the right 2 harass u .

All the best... :2thumbsup: