1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Boredom busters!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra
    Not even Lord Ganesha can defend His Kozhakattai as you have defended yours. I beg to disagree with you on the manner of eating a Kozhakkattai. No puritan would dream of breaking it for eating. It should be made of a size that would fit every mouth in the family. In fact , Kozhakkattai embodies the very spirit of being sensitive to others. An ideal cook would keep in mind the size of every mouth in the family when fully stretched and make kozhakkattais of assorted sizes to fit every mouth in the family.
    It's cruel to make kozkattais of the size that cant be eaten as a whole and as if to rub salt on the injury, to compare the throats that are not equipped to handle the abnormal kozhakkattais as oosi thondai and all that!
    Wifey can make Kozhakkattai of the size of a peanut to suit my granddaughter!
    Sri

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    I now expect one of your posts to be
    How unimaginative & impractical chitvish is
    And
    How practical my wife is !
    Well, we bite, chew & eat - not swallow as a whole.
    Love,
    Chithra.
    <xml id=yoombaxml></xml>

3. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

In 'Boredom busters', I remembered the best way to start a 'oodal' is to switch on TV and start watching cricket. Here is the running commentary when I used to do that:

My wife: 'Eppo paaru intha paazhapona cricket. Avanunga evvalavu sothapinalum kaasu kidaichudum avangaluku. Athai utkarnthu paarkaruthuku unakku yaarachum kaasu tharangala. Naan inge thaniya veetu velaile malladikittu iruken. Ayya ange utkarnthu jaaliya cricket paarkiraru' (incidentally, according to a survey conducted in U.S. most marriages survive where the household chores are shared by both husband and wife).

Naan: Ivaluku vera velaiye illai. Naan cricket paartha ivaluku kannai karikum.

Right at that time Tendulkar gets out. I switch off the TV in disgust and join my wife for 'koodal'.

Naan: nee solrathu hundred percent correct. Cricket paarkarathu romba waste. Inge paaru intha Tendulkar straighta vara ball adikama wicketi kaavu koduthuttan.

Wife: sorryna. Enaku neenga veetu velaile othasaiya konjam irudelna athuku appuram naal poora neenga cricket paarungo. yaaru vendamna.

Naan: Thanks di en chellam.

I run and switch on the TV again to continue to watch cricket.

Wife: Hoom, intha aalai thiruthave mudiyathu.

This is universal. If it is cricket in India, it is football or baseball in western countries. No wife tolerates her husband watching sports on TV.

Regards,

TDU

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya,

I am late as usual:) All the same, I do make it a point to read all that you write here even if a bit late.
    Like already mentioned, the added bonus of reading it late is the fbs you receive and this time it was particularly hilarious, thanks to Chithra:)
    Hmm...all those kozhukattais that you seem to have just 'swallowed' make me wallow in pity for the wonderful culinary expertise of your wife going for a thorough waste as the k-kattais just tumble down your throat...Sir..does one not have to bite and chew them for them to unravel the full flavor and taste before they are so ruthlessly sent for a toss down the digestive system?:mrgreen:
    Haa..as for the resembling partner look, it is true! Many a time one can just tell which one belongs to which partner!! Now, don't read more to it than written:wink:
    As a matter of fact, even the dogs start resembling their masters...Am too tired to analyse that significance here:)
    Another nice one from you Cheeniya:)

L, Kamla

5. Cheeniya

Dear TDU
    That conversation reminded me of the family scenes that Aru.Ramanathan used to present in his magazine 'Kaadhal' in the 50's and 60's. Your oodal was, though of the veettukku veedu vasappadi type, hilarious and it was nice to see Sachin helping you in your koodal!
    I now watch cricket scores on my Internet making everyone believe that I am engaged on some official work!
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

Dear Kamla
    Of all the communication gaps, this one is really awesome. Whoever gave you the idea that I suggested swallowing a Kozhakkattai as if it was some oversized antibiotic?

What I meant was that the fragmentation of a kozhakkattai should take place within the four walls of the mouth. I only voiced my displeasure about dismembering the divine form of a kozhakkattai on the plate and eating it part by part. It is a more irritating sight that stabbing the iddlis repeatedly until they become shapeless in a pool of sambar. I detest all forms of ruthlessness in eating.
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

Dear Lavanya
    Call it diplomatic cowardice or something even nicer, the fact remains that the husbands preferring to keep mum are like the peace-keeping forces employed by UN in strife ridden nations. They have no role to play other than ensuring that the warring parties dont come to blows! A husband does precisely that and he has every reason to be concerned when the fighting takes a physical form for he is the one to foot the bills of all the repairs to be carried out!
    The picture of the idyllic couple presented by you, though sounds too good to be true, is like a poem on canvass!
    All said and done little skirmishes are essential to pepper up our sweet lives!
    Sri

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Sri,

Too Good.U re right.life would get so boring if husband and wife agree to everything.

that one is good where husband and wife start to look Brother and sister, and i have seen a few cases too.:-(

Sri, does yr wife read yr blogs ? Does she generally agree or disagree with u?Im curious to know.Regards.kamal

9. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Hi

That was really great....

I never new if the husband & wife agrees or have the same views they change and look alike......

Me & my wife have the same thoughts on 90% of the issues.... But we are two different characters.... We stopped fighting, as we both has seen lot of fights in the family and we try to avoid.....

But I never thought living in harmony will lead to Boredom...... Experience Speaks!!!!!!!!.......

Anyway thanks for the tips for starting a fight....

But you didnt tell how to escape if she comes with a karandi....

Veda

10. Cheeniya

Dear Kamalji
    If you order for an extra sweet in some of the middle class restaurants of Chennai, they'll give you free a small plate of savoury knowing well that your taste buds will need that change. Life is also like that. Without some minor scuffles, it could be an endless bore. And if these scuffles are preplanned, you would know where to stop and make amend. Teasing the wife and my grand children is my favourite pastime!
    My blogs and sometimes the responses thereto:mrgreen: cause the much needed savoury in my family life! Samajh gaya nah?:mrgreen:
    Sri