1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Books that influenced you the most ?

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by SiriVeda, Mar 3, 2009.

1. SiriVeda

SiriVeda Silver IL'ite

"Books are man's best friends" this phrase is so true. Every book we read contributes to our knowledge and wisdom, enlightens us and makes us a better person. Shall we list down the books that have influenced us in one way or the other ? Here goes my list

The 3 mistakes of my life - Chetan Bhagat

Every mode of life has a surprise or a challenge waiting for us. Some are very tough to face and some would be cake walk. Some experiences become nightmares where as some remain like sweet memories. If a man stumbles and falls down, what should he do next? Should he sit and cry or should he get up and start running towards his goal with double determination and dedication. The hard work and effort we put in achieving something will always be rewarded sooner or later. I guess its just a matter of time.

Short stories by Rabindranath Tagore

His stories unravel the intricacies and complexities of human emotions. We sometimes fail to understand the depth of these emotions and end up hurting people who are close to us and also people who are not so close to us. If we can learn the art of sympathizing and empathizing, I guess world would become a better place to live in.

Wise and otherwise - Sudha Murthy

This book is based on the real life experiences of Mrs.Sudha Murthy. She not only travels to the remote places of India, but also into the hearts of so many people whom she encountered. Through her, we meet a lot people who are devoid of what we consider the basic necessities of life. They do not have enough to eat or wear, but the level of modesty and self respect they have will never allow them to stoop below their dignity. This book talks about some poor people who denied extra money, so that it can be used for others. This book also talks about some members of the so called educated and privileged class who tried to get rid of their responsibilities. The book left me with a vague sense of guilt which questioned me about my contribution not only towards the society but also family.

The Kite Runner - Khalid Housseni

One of the most amazing books I have ever read. We all make blunders at some point of time or the other in our life. Naturally we tend to carry the guilt with us and this grows along with us. We obviously cannot go back and rectify what we have done, but we can always avoid making the same blunder again.

2. Bujji

Bujji Bronze IL'ite

Hello Sirisha,

Few books might have influenced me. But, my first thought is "The Kite Runner".

The characters are very touching especially Hassan and Amir's father.

"For you, 1000 times over" by Hassan,
    Fighting for the pride of woman against a Russian soldier, but losing his morality of being Hassan's father - Contradictory characterisation of Agha Sahib
    Rahim khan's encouragement on Amir and making him to realize his mistake

Impressive book.

3. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi
    The power of positive thinking by Dr.Vincent Norman Peale did influence me a lot.That book teaches us how to look at all the incidents happened and happening to your life in a positive way.It has helped me a lot to grow as a person too.I strongly suggest all book lovers to read this book,but for you to feel some change you have to implement the things said in the book too.

Thanks
    Ami

4. SiriVeda

SiriVeda Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Bujji, thank you for responding. Kite Runner is one amazing book. I became a fan of Khalid Housseini after reading this book. I am yet to read "A Thousand Splendid Suns". Hope this is as good as Kite runner. :)

Ami, thank you so much for sharing your experience with this book. A good book would always guide us in a proper direction.

5. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear girls,
    sorry to interepet your flow. i am seeing only english and othr language books. among this i want to write about the book"Bharathi kavidhagal. this one post is not enough for me to write about the impact it made onme. so many. so i just stop now by saying that is the book i remember. so many are there.
    with love
    pad.

6. SiriVeda

SiriVeda Silver IL'ite

Dear Padmini,

I heard a lot about "Bharati Kavithaigal".... I am a telugu girl, but I can speak and understand Tamil (cannot read it though :) ) , I heard his songs that were used in movies like Sindhu Bhairavi, Kandukoden kandukoden etc., Also, I have learnt some songs in my music class. I had to put in a lot of effort to understand the meaning as I guess these are written in thooya tamil :)

As you say, his poetry has a wonderful effect, it makes one love the world, love the people and nature.

Thanks a lot for sharing :)

7. Kayree

Kayree New IL'ite

hi veda,
    Different books influence you in different stages of life and as you look back you find ever so often a gem of a book that you have cherished for it's essence.
    but here i will mention two that actually spurred me on into the wonderful world of books and they are Amar Chitra Katha and the Enid Blyton series which so beautifully conjoined the written word with the world of imagination.
    I feel, these books should have a rightful place in nurturing every child's mind.
    there are others of course,but these i remember were the earliest.:)
    rgds,

8. SiriVeda

SiriVeda Silver IL'ite

Hi Kayree,

I almost forgot about Amar chitra katha and yes chandamama. These significantly help in the growth of a child's mind and character. Thanks a lot for mentioning these :)

The stories are brought in a very attractive manner which interest a kid a lot. Even now I read these books and cannot help getting fascinated with them.

9. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear sri,
    very glad to know your interest in the Mahakavi. actually his poems are in simple tamil.he has written poems even for small kids. this post is not enough to write about him. each and evry poem of his should be analysed.thank you for bringing out the thoughts. another writer who made the impact on me is "Sujatha". as separate thread is needed to discuss his works.
    with love
    pad.

10. paanzaa

paanzaa Gold IL'ite

Has any one read the Power of Positive thinking, by Norman Vincent Peale?