1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Book suggestions For A Home Library

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Sravanthi28, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Sravanthi28

Sravanthi28 Silver IL'ite

Hi everybody,

i love to read books and wish to start a library sort of thing at home (not commercial, only for family & friends). Please suggest list of books which can be read many times (atleast more than once) . And i have recently started comparing book prices online, noticed that the same book costs different in various websites. One more thing, the book price changes depending on the year of publication. Can anybody please enlighten what is the difference here and suggest me which version to buy old/new publication.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sravanthi,

You can buy Alchemist and Veronica decides to die by Paulo Coelho. Don't buy all the books of one author. Generally one or two books by the suthor would be good. Rest, not so good. I suggest Pride and prejudice by Jane Austene. The Monk who sold his Ferrari is also very good. Do you want to buy Telugu books also. In December there is one Book Fair in People's Plaza in Necklace road for 10 days. There you find a lot of choice. They give a discount of 10%. You can leisurely browse and do the selection. Any book by Erich Segal is good....starting with Love story and Class. A beautiful Mind about John Nash is very good. You can google first and then decide.

Syamala

3. ReenaVinod

ReenaVinod Bronze IL'ite

Wise and otherwise by Sudha Murty, Revolution 2020 by Chetan Bhagat, life is what you make it by Preety Shenooy..are some of the book to have in your library

4. Sravanthi28

Hi Syamala,
    Thanks for the immediate response. I am planning to buy 2/3 books starting this month. Me too not interested in buying books from the same author unless they are too interesting. 'Book Fair' , i have to check out. I have not read any Telugu novels so far but i am planning to have some of them in my collection. Please some good books & authors in Telugu.

5. Sravanthi28

Hi Reena,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I need to a make a list of the books and get them.

6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sravanthi,

If interested in philosophical books (don't get frightened by the word) in simple language, suitable to a kid to novices, knowledgable people, for every age group in the family........there is a book shop in Ramakrishna Math, Domalguda, near Indira Park, there are beautiful books in English and Telugu at a very concessional rates. I but there very often. That is open from 9 to 1 in the morning and 4 to 8 in the evening.

Syamala

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sravanthi,

I have a very small one.. this is what i do..i borrow the book from the library, most often do find it there, and if i feel the book can be owned or can be read by my kids later i do buy them..

if you have kids then i would start from enid blyton, abridged world classics (around the world in 80 days, emma, pride and prejudice, robinson crusoe, tom sawyer...) and some of the books like vivekananda's works, gandhiji autobiography

and yes as shyamala says the ones from ramakrishna math are really good..

you can always pick up novels in paper back that costs lesser than the original hardback..

robin sharma, Paul coelho, vivekananda, ramakrishna paramahanmsa, aurobindo ashram books, Rhonda byrne are some of the books you can own...

coming to fiction - depends on what is the genre..

medical -
    thrillers -
    romance
    coffee table-
    general knowledge
    poetry and literature in the pure sense

all the websites have their own ways of giving offers..check out the offers and decide..you can always subscribe to their mailers, which give you a detail of the offers..

right now there is one offer on flipkart - romantic collection - indian authors thats on a good discount.

eat pray love comes at a 40% discount..

just do not buy books to fill, because once you start you cannot stop and space becomes a issue...

Telugu=yandamoori veerendranath is a good start...

8. smritisinha

smritisinha Platinum IL'ite

Depends on what kind of books you prefer. i.e. fiction or non-fiction..

I am a fiction person, and I love all the books of Dan Brown.. They are pretty engrossing and can make you eat up the books in a week..! And of course you can read them again and again and again!!
    The speciality - Extensive research gone behind the books, he tells the 'facts' as a preface. I appreciate the author for that. Plus, very interesting and engrossing!

For love stories, I love P.S. I Love you.. Can read it again n again! I'm in love with the character Holly!

One other book I love - The stars shine down. About a girl who rose against all odds, not ethically though, but in the end you would think that is the best way she could have done, and you admire her for that.

Other books - Twilight Saga (better than the movies!)

And if you are a Godfather fan, try 'the sicilian' by mario puzo! Another great book. I liked it better than GodFather!

As for nonfiction, I have read "the secret" by rhonda byrne.. Pretty convincing way of writing. Positive attitude is what u learn!

I hope you like them!

One tip: You get the book ratings easily from the net! Please go through ratings by 3-4 sites before spending!

9. jasminepatra

jasminepatra Silver IL'ite

Before investing in books, you need to check if you will read all the books. as there is no point in buying if you / others are not going to read. it is good that you want to putchase 2-3 books a month, more than that and you many not be able to read.

if you want to read books more than once, thrillers / mystery may not be the best as you will know the ending and suspense will be over. i have listed a few series that i have purchased. if you are not particular about original books, most popular ones (dan brown, sydney sheldon, paulo cohelo, robin sharma etc) you will get on roadsides that will cost 50 or so.

for kids - harry potter series
    for mystery lovers - agatha christie, sherlock holmes
    for science fiction - issac asimov (the naked sun, robot)
    for novels - john grisham
    comics - archies, calvin and hobbs, r k narayan

i generally search wikipedia for 100 most sold / read / popular books, i read the synopsys and then buy. i generally buy online, so i check 3 - 4 sites and get the lowest price.

10. Sravanthi28

Hi Shanvy,
    Thanks for the repsonse. I dont have a library nearby, so any book i wish to read should either be bought/read online. I got fedup with reading books online partly because my son does not permit me even 10 mins with the pc compared to 20 mins with the hardcopy. I have not so far thought that my book collection would indeed be useful to my DS too :) The books you have mentioned have refreshed my childhood memories.Till date i have not read any autobiographies. Just as you mentioned, i am not in a hurry to fill my book shelves because i get very less time to read. I am planning to buy books once myslef/DH complete reading the present set of books.

Sravanthi