1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Book Reviews - General

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Iravati, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Radio adaptations are a delightful and time-saving way to indulge in canonical works of an author. Today’s radio listen - Hermann Hesse’s ‘Glass bead game’.

No time to scratch an afterthought of the read. Trrh! I wish I could have more hours in a day.

2. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Dump of the Week

Collection of short stories, network adaptations, plays, and non-fiction.

Gombrowicz and Gombrich are episodic reads. You can select the jottings of your interest. Witty and informative! If I ever find time, I might write about each work in detail. Friends often inquire, how do these eclectic reads make any sense or how are they of purpose in your life. The scattered reads help me to ascend random noise and be impervious to the sideline pettiness in life. Giorgos Seferis quoted, 'Don't ask me who's influenced me. A lion is made up of the lambs he's digested, and I've been reading all my life'. I haven't read all my life yet the measly pickings are as fattening to this otter as they are to the lion. They bolster you to withstand life and its unsought challenges. You can laugh at the absurdities of life and tell someone, don't twist yourself into a Möbius with Durrenmatt. Live it up!

upload_2018-4-14_17-49-5.png

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Audio, video and books

upload_2018-4-16_11-15-35.png

upload_2018-4-16_11-16-24.png

upload_2018-4-16_11-16-44.png

4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

In the beginning, I used to describe the books.
    Then, briefly cover the books.
    Later, stick pictures.
    Now, the title.

The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents — Terry Pratchett

5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

A Family Man

I have been told to read VS Pritchett for the best experience of short stories. I only heard the man.

I selected his "A Family Man" story to break into Pritchett's narrative style. Many hack writers stitch up eye-watering tales of infidelity and virtuous romances to elicit harrowing sympathy from their readers. But Pritchett isn't that ilk of a hackneyed writer at all. He invests tact and humour in even the glaring domestic strife of his yielding characters.

The story is a foot-in-the-door confrontation of an indignant wife with her husband's lover. With no heart-wrenching drama, Pritchett unfolds the warring narrative as unveiling of the human psyche. Love is not a true reflection of our desire as it is only our mirrored perception of other's desire. During that said confrontation, the man's lover bristles in misgivings on her entanglement with a man whose wife, she assumed to be ravishing, turns out to be blunt and uninteresting. At that letdown, the flighty lover steeply loses interest in the easy man, not flinched by any moral imperative, but because he is not challenging or desirous anymore to be tussled with, for having an unimpressive wife. Such esteemed psyche though observed has never been narrated so tastefully.

I wonder, how these writers spell out things inwardly reasoned, though publicly hushed, with brazen eloquence. If you are jaded of writers who churn out trite and hashed stories with predictable storylines, pick up Pritchett. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Haven't read/watched much last week. Just Bertolt Brecht.

upload_2018-4-22_14-0-7.png

7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

There's no Kwame Appiah in animal kingdom to counsel the perplexed creatures on the promiscuity or chastity of their partners. But, we have Dr Tatiana, the sympathetic agony aunt, dealing with the sexual aberrations of the animals. The damselflies are envied! The golden pottos are baffled! Nothing is going right with the bronze-winged jacanas. Funny and quirky and informative narrative on the sexual practices in animal kingdom. Recommended! Enjoyable! Densely packed with who-is-Don Juan of the jungle.

upload_2018-4-28_18-24-14.png

I love reading children's books. Picture books and lively books with illustrations endear me. The books are for children aged seven and above. Fascinating trivia of the musical geniuses with waggish sketches. The author of these books is Steven Isserlis. On reading about the author, I found out that he has few of his own interesting anecdotes to share along with musicians he has been researching.

upload_2018-4-28_18-24-41.png upload_2018-4-28_18-24-56.png

On the Midweek programme on 29 January 2014, Steven Isserlis revealed that on arrival in Vienna in 1922, his pianist grandfather and father found a flat, but the 102-year-old landlady refused to take in a musician, because her aunt had a previous musician tenant who was noisy and would spit on the floor—this tenant was Ludwig van Beethoven.

And finally, no one needs introduction to Mr Waugh.

upload_2018-4-28_18-25-48.png

8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Not much reading this week. Bummer!

Starting the week with “Keep the Aspidistra Flying”.

9. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Only in the sense that an IV would be a time-saving way to eat dinner.
    :angry::anguished::astonished::rage::smash2:

10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Dude, no sooner we put a man on Mars, the next anthropogenic enterprise is meal in a pill, which has been in development (gastro) hell !

What archaic and horrific IV drips, meal pills are coming soon. And they are here to stay (or store). Align your reading habits in anticipation of the change in your dietary habits.