1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

book binding

Discussion in 'Creative Crafts' started by umasivasankar, Apr 30, 2014.

1. umasivasankar

umasivasankar IL Hall of Fame

i would like to try book binding for my son's school book.
    i have an idea how to do but i need IL freinds help heresurrendersmiley.
    kindly let me know what are the things needed n how to do like professionist.

regards,
    uma

1 person likes this.

2. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

Hi, Nice

I usually do book binding for my self and my kids too..:) Let me give some idea

Required material:

1. Thick Thread
    2. Book binding needle.
    3. Canvas Cloth
    4. Book binding Gum ( 1/2 kg available in pocket)
    5. Book binding board ( either Grey board or Staw board )
    6. Few Plain Paper or brown sheets

Cutting:

First Stitch the book with Plain sheets ( 2 sheets per book ) cut the board size should be 1/2 inch less than the width (left to right) of the book and correct size on the length side ( top to bottom ) cut the canvas cloth 2 inch more than the length and Width should be ( to calculate the width bottom overlapping area 2 inch + 1/2 inch + Thickness of the book + 1/2 inch + top overlapping area 2 inch ) if you consider the thickness of the book is 2 inches & length is 8 inch the total dimension of the canvas should be Width :7 inches & Length: 10 inches.

Pasting the card board with canvas sheet.

apply the gum on the canvas and place the card board on top and bottom of the book, the length side and opening side should be perfect you can find the 1/2 in gap on the stitching side of the book, Place the assembled book and cardboard on the canvas, now the bottom of the book with cardboard will be pasted with canvas ( 2 inches ) leave the book as such and now turn the canvas and past the top of the book (2 inch) press the book and canvas, now turn the top of the cardboard to left side and take off the book. ( now you can see both the card board will stick with the canvas 2 inches on both the sides ) remove the book and now fold the excess portion of the top and bottom of the canvas and past on the card board. now the board and canvas perfectly sized and pasted. You can see center part of the canvas their you apply gum again and place the book and press the stitched side of the book with canvas and keep it dry for one day. with weight

Next day you have to paste the colour or brown paper on the outer side of the card board and fold the excess sheet on length and width side and paste. if you open the card board it looks all the pasting area this should be covered with one sheet which we stitched along with the book ( this pasting only will hold the book and cardboard well )

I hope i explained my level best.

2 people like this.
  3. umasivasankar

umasivasankar IL Hall of Fame

thank u for the reply sumanrathi.ll try n let u know the result