1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Bonding Over Gardening - A Different Perspective

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by goldfish99, Apr 23, 2016.

1. goldfish99

goldfish99 Silver IL'ite

Plants thrive on love, so does relationships. I am sharing my life experience to support the same.

I have been married into a joint family, comprising of FIL, MIL, BIL, SIL and DH, for five years now.

Last year, my MIL passed away suddenly, and her death had created a great setback in my FIL's life. He lost his most trusted partner and it was very difficult to witness his pain, since, he has been a jovial and very caring FIL to me.

I like gardening, and it was during this time, that I coincidentally sowed a few coriander seeds and methi seeds, which were leftover from our kitchen, into tiny clay pots, which lay abandoned on our big terrace.

After my MIL's death, my FIL, used to hang around solitary on our terrace, loitering and lost in his own thoughts. He somehow spotted my lil planted seedlings at a corner, and started taking interest in their growth and kept me company whenever i went upstairs to water and look after them.

Gradually, he too became keenly interested, and started getting potted plants from the nearby nursery and I soon realized that we both used to spend our evenings together looking after the plants and bonding over watering and caressing the tiny tots.

Now, we have a full fledged terrace garden, including 100+ pots, flowerrs, fruits, bonsai etc. FIL spends his time actively at the rooftop, and the garden has given him a lot of solace to overcome his grief. It has also bonded both of us together, in a special way.

So much so, that a year has passed by, since my MIL passed away and on her first death anniversary, FIL and I decorated her photo for yearly puja rites, with fresh white flowers from our garden. I have attached pic here for you all to witness the fact:

Plants and relationships, thrive on love and care.

I am so happy to see my FIL today, talking to everyone about his garden, and engaging himself and moving on in life. U lose ur life partner - its a great grief, but my FIL has now got other lil green babies as partners to nurture.

Attached Files:

Cheeniya, bhagya85, tuffyshri and 7 others like this.

2. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

I feel overwhelmed. So true and so touchingly you have written it.

kaniths and goldfish99 like this.
  3. goldfish99

goldfish99 Silver IL'ite

Ni
    @radv....thanks so much. Infact I am standing on my terrace now, seeing him plucking away dried leaves from plants. Very metamorphical to the way of him plucking away deep grief to make way for new greener and happy memories to grow.

jskls and kaniths like this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Sorry to know about your mil passing away . But glad that your fil took interest in gardening and though he lost his better half he has green babies to nurture. Nice to see the flowers decorated on your MIL's first anniversary from your garden

goldfish99 likes this.
  5. goldfish99

goldfish99 Silver IL'ite

@iyerviji..mam...i am so overwhelmed to see your feedback on my write-up.

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear goldfish,

That is really so sweet. It is so heartening to know that your FIL found some kind of a solace. What an amazing way to deal and cope with his grief. Very sweet of you to have stood by him - and encouraged and worked with him with his new found joy. Plants and pets have a way with us. Thank you for sharing such a heart warming story. Now do share hose thriving plants from your terrace too. There are may of us here who love gardening and would love to see it.

7. anupartha

anupartha Gold IL'ite

Thats really a heart warming story. I am so glad to hear things turned out for better with a simple act, that developed in to a mission. Kudos to you. In this present period where many elders live in misery, people like you rekindle the hope of a better tomorrow. Thanks for sharing. May God bless you & yours.

jskls, goldfish99 and kaniths like this.
  8. goldfish99

goldfish99 Silver IL'ite

@Srama, thanks so much for your appreciation and for nominating my write-up. That was a pleasant surprise. And yes, I have posted one pic for you all to see. It's under Media->gardening. Will share more soon. Thanks a lot, once again.

Srama likes this.
  9. goldfish99

goldfish99 Silver IL'ite

@anupartha, thanks so much for your blessings and appreciation.

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear goldfish,

Please accept my heartfelt condolences for the loss of your MIL. What a heart-touching experience you have shared with all of us in how your FIL recovered from losing his life-partner by nurturing the little plants in your terrace garden along with you. Your MIL's photograph decorated with flowers from your own garden is clearly a great tribute to someone who was instrumental in keeping the family together with the flowers grown out of a garden maintained by a loving husband and a devoted daughter-in-law.

Your FIL hanging out in the terrace is a blessing in disguise without which he would have never felt the need to connect with those wonderful plants and bond with you. I also admire you for sharing that opportunity to grow the plants with your father in law and using that time to bond with him. Your family is very special and I am sure your MIL was and would continue to be very proud of her family.

God bless you and your family. My best wishes.

Viswa

goldfish99 and KashmirFlower like this.