1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bollywood: The New and Young Directors

Discussion in 'Movies' started by shaliniku, Jul 12, 2010.

1. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

Friends, I feel Bollywood had suddenly been blessed by an angel. The new and young directors who have appeared in Bollywood in the last couple of years are nothing but extraordinary. They have changed the definitions of the “typical” Bollywood movies. Gone are the days of the “masala” movies and the larger than life sets.

Ayan Mukherji is one such director. I am sure most of you have seen Wake Up Sid last year. It was loved by all and it did good business. This film was the 26-year-old Ayan’s directorial debut.
    Earlier in his young career, Ayan has assisted directors like Ashutosh Gowarikar and Karan Johar.

2. piyagupta

piyagupta Senior IL'ite

Did you know Ayan is a member of the famous Mukherji clan of Bollywood? He is a first cousin to Kajol and a second cousin to Rani Mukherjee. I recently saw a cute picture in a magazine where the small boy Ayan is receiving Bhaiduj blessings from a teenager Rani.

Wake Up Sid is a movie which stunned me, more so when I reflected upon the age of the director who was also the story-writer. It is a complete story of the present day which defies and breaks all age-old ideas and conventions.

Asutosh Gowariker happens to be Ayan Mukherji’s brother-in-law.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  3. raginisharma

raginisharma Senior IL'ite

I loved Ayan Mukherji as a director of Wake Up Sid!! His script and his treatment of the story were very matured and lovable. His casting Konkona Sensharma in the role of Aisha tells volumes about his eye for talent! I do not think anybody could have played that role as brilliantly as Konkona did!

Piya,
    You are absolutely right when you say Wake Up Sid is a perfect new-age movie which has shed all ancient traditions and ideas.

I hope to see many more beautiful films from Ayan in the near future. I hope he continues with his creativity and originality and adds many more awards to the one he won this year i.e. The Best Debutante Director (male) for Wake Up Sid.

4. anandisingh

anandisingh Senior IL'ite

I was bowled over by Wake Up Sid. It won my heart much more than 3 idiots did! Kudos to Ayan Mukherjee - the young storywriter and director!
    I have watched an interview of his on the TV, just before the release of Wake Up Sid and that is what tempted me to watch the movie. Ayan told he had assisted K Jo in KANK, and while making Wake Up Sid, K Jo, the producer, had given him every freedom of expression. Is that not what young people need from elders, in order to grow?

I hope to see many more memorable films from Ayan Mukherjee!

:thumbsup

5. jasminderkaur

jasminderkaur Senior IL'ite

Watching Wake up Sid was like Lakshya meets Taare Zameen Par meets Rock On meets Luck By Chance. Add some more freshness in terms of simple screenplay and dialogues and fantastic visuals - that's Wake Up Sid!! this is not criticism but a compliment.

But I think the person who really needs to be complimented beyond Ayan Mukherjee is Ranbir. I mean, we all know that Konkana is a fantastic actress and she delivered as usual but think Ranbir did a fantastic job. His was i think the more difficult role, the first half where he plays the carefree, not-a-worry-in-world kind of guy, but in the second half we see him coming of age, understanding his potential and building on it.

This movie was a classic example of the dilemma that most youngsters face these days.

6. JuhiAgarwal

JuhiAgarwal Senior IL'ite

Jasminder,
    You are right – Ranbir’s acting is awesome- the first half of Wake Up Sid which you have mentioned showed us how great an actor Ranbir is!

Another new director who is mesmerizing cinema-goers is Dibakar Banerjee( Bandyopadhyay).This director and screen writer has defied all age-old ideas and formulae of Hindi films. He has revolutionized the idea of films and now many more young directors will have the courage to follow his lead.

I watched his Khosla Ka Ghosla sometime in 2006 and did not know what to feel! I had no idea that a “Bollywood film” could be like that!!
    :bowdown

7. piyagupta

piyagupta Senior IL'ite

Dibakar Banerjee is an awesome director! I have watched all three of his films – Khosla Ka Ghosla, Oye Lucky!Lucky Oye! and LSD.

Banerjee was a student of NID (National Institute of Design), Ahmedabad. But he had not completed the course. Later, he worked with Sam Mathews, the corporate audio-visual film-maker, as a trainee.

He had shot Khosla Ka Ghosla, his first film, in 45 days. The film had great actors like Anupam Kher, Boman Irani, Navin Nischal, Ranbir Shourie and Vinay Pathak. The honesty and humor of the story were loved by all.

Love Sex aur Dhoka (LSD) by Banerjee is India’s premiere digital film.
    :cheers

8. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

I loved Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! and Khosla Ka Ghosla. Khosla Ka Ghosla had won the National Award in the Best Feature Film in Hindi category. Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! won the National Award in the Best Popular Film category in 2009.
    What more can a director wish for than two National Awards for his first two films!

I loved Abhay Deol and Paresh Rawal’s performance in the second film. It had also gone on to win three Filmfare Awards.

I am yet to see Love Sex aur Dhoka. I believe it was inspired by the 2004 DPS MMS scandal.

Let’s wish Banerjee all the best in all his future endeavors!

:thumbsup

9. JayaRawat

JayaRawat Senior IL'ite

Dibakar Banerjee and Ayan Mukherjee are two shining stars in terms of creativity and directorial competence.

Another director who has dazzled movie-lovers with his brilliance is Neeraj Pandey. He has written and directed the movie A Wednesday in 2008. The gripping storyline, the outstanding direction and the tight editing made this movie comparable to a Hollywood product. It was loved by the audience and was a hit at the box office.
    The fact that he could conceive such a story and write such a screenplay astonished everyone. To make A Wednesday first up is a superb achievement by any director.:thumbsup

I am awaiting his next film--- do any of you have any idea about it?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  10. MadhujaJ

MadhujaJ Senior IL'ite

Yeah, I think Neeraj Pandey surprised everyone with his first film – it was a very pleasant and gratifying surprise. The helplessness and desperation of the common Indian was poignantly portrayed by him. The dialogues of Naseeruddin Shah echoed our thoughts, fears, anger and hatred --- they portrayed every iota of our helplessness.

Pandey got the priceless assistance of two great actors of all times- Anupam Kher and Naseeruddin Shah – and the masters made full use of the brilliant script. :bowdown

I think Neeraj had also written the screenplay of Khaffa in 2008 and Marega Salaa early this year.

Jaya,
    His next release would be a film called Special Chabbis.