1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Body Mechanics

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by zipzipzoomzoom, Jun 23, 2011.

1. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

Honestly, I thought I'd write about Tarim Basin Mummies for my first blog, but something else has been bugging me for the past several days - well weeks actually.

I need to be aware of my posture.

Recently, I got a computer bag, and since I am right-handed, thought I would sling it on my left shoulder - that way, both right side and left side of body are equally strong.

Instead, I felt out of balance. Somehow when I would walk, I would feel that my body is not symmetrical, that I was walking with poor posture.

Now, I sling the computer bag across my body, i.e. strap on left shoulder, bag under right shoulder. This balances the weight evenly.

It has really made me think of how I move my body.

To prevent injuries, it is advisable to walk straight, both ears over both shoulders, and breathe from the diaphragm (i.e. on inhale, air should fill the belly, on exhale, air should be released).

When bending down to pick up something, weight should be evenly distributed on your upper thighs, and knees should not jut past the toes - this prevents back aches.

When sitting (especially all day at the office), sit straight, both feet flat on ground, computer monitor should be at least a foot away.

Of course, saying and doing are two different things.

Like this morning, I was on the phone with our contractors, and I kept noticing I was hunched over, one leg crossed over the other. When you are in an involved conversation for hours, and your body is twisted in an unnatural way, naturally, you will be so exhausted that you cannot think, and you need a coffee break.

Hence, my first blog. :coffee

2. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai Z,

Very nice body language managing blog. True if you have to balance your body weight the heavy things you are holding should be balanced with your body. Hope You are a balanced body person. All the best dear.