1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Blood Diamond

Discussion in 'Movies' started by sundarusha, Mar 19, 2008.

1. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

I recently saw this movie on DVD as my son was working on a school project on Sierra Leone, a west African country.
    The civil war is raging and the rebel forces are rendering millions homeless.
    The movie begins with a fisherman and his family trying to live a peaceful life. The rebels raid his village, he is ripped from his family and forced to work with the rebels in the diamond fields under inhumane conditions. He finds a rare 100-carat diamond, and risks to hide it. Not out of greed ,but desperation that the diamond will fetch him resources to locate his estranged family.
    Meanwhile, a mercenary( Leonardo Dicaprio) finds out this and they form an uneasy pact. The two enlist the help of a journalist and provide info for her story on conflict diamonds, in exchange for getting information about the fisherman's family. When they locate them finally, the fisherman finds out that his young son has been taken by the rebels and turned ointo a child soldier.
    It is a very touching movie, and an eye-opener.

2. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Usha,
    It was. When we buy diamond, as the final message says, we need to ensure it's not blood diamond. I saw this movie twice and liked it.

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

I could not watch the movie.. saw just a few scenes .. too much violence for me..You do not clarify ..An eye opener..to what?

4. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

The fact that one may own a diamond that could have caused so much hardship to someone else in another part of the world is an eye-opener.

I agree that there is a lot of violence in the movie, but that is the truth in those regions.