1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Blood along skin folds on neck

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sree3, Jun 7, 2010.

1. sree3

sree3 Bronze IL'ite

Guys. In need of help again. Work @ home is going great, with all the tips and tricks given by you helpful people in other thread of mine. Thanks for that. Hey, True (MS True, if you chance upon this) – I planted those flowering plants and Tulsi again, and :exactly: you guessed it right – wife is watering those, am not :biggrin2:.

Getitng serious. Its about Son (his name is Om (Okmar), I love his name). We have spotted tiny drops of blood around his neck region to be specific along skin folds on neck when toweling him dry after bath. That region is flesh pink in color most of the time, but this is the first time we noticed blood. It was yesterday, today it looks healed though. When he was 3 months old in India, Doctor suggested an cream (Emolene), to keep the area dry I guess. We are hesitant to approach folks back home for the fear that they might get worried as to what antics we are up to with the baby.

Now the question is. Is this serious? We have an appointment with his doctor next week (on 14<SUP>th</SUP> of june). Can it wait until then? I mean is this common? The reason I ask is, I have to take time off from work for doctor visits. I feel very guilty, for thinking like this about dr visits. But being practical, I have taken several offs for these. He has a Port Wine Stain (mark) around his eye and temple regions. I would take this thread as an opportunity to also collect from you people any experiences, if anyone had with this stain. Doctor said stain is not harmful and everything is okay.
    Thank You.
    Sree.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010

2. DDC

DDC Silver IL'ite

Sree,
    Blood in the skin folds is normal in some infants with sensitive skin. Just keep the area very clean and use Eucerin or Aveeno. HTH.

3. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

sree, its good to see things are falling in place for u. been there and still doing that. just like u both, me and DH had no help through my pregnancy and even after delivery,although we are in india. but u know what, now wen i look back i feel so proud and happy of how we have been taking things one at a time, and successfully raising our LO. :)
    the attachment the the baby and DH has is amazing and rare, and u will understand soon as u grow along with ur baby :)

coming back to ur question, as far as i know emolene if a hypoallergic ointment ,mostly helping with dry skin issues, like say infant eczema in that case.

this is a pretty common issue with bubs, so do not worry. just make sure u are keeping the skin dry, cleaning the place by patting and not rubbing.these rashes in the folds are usually due to sweat/heat...

make sure u are not over dressing ur newborn and making him warm more than required.also if he is bottle fed, make sure the dribbled milk is not being collected in those "folds"

if u feel the rash is getting worse, contact ur pedi

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  4. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

The rash is pretty common in infants..You need to keep the area dry and you can apply either Eucerin or Aquaphor. Both are very effective..They are available in Target or Babies R Us.

I am not sure about the stain mark around the eye though!! Does it look like the same rash (pinkish) as he has on the neck? May be it's just eczema..Sorry not sure though...

5. sree3

sree3 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Ladies. Considering your views, along with the research on the web, I have decided to get him checked during our visit next week. Not much to worry about.

DDC. Thank You. I c. Good to know that its not something we should be bothering about. Nice. Yes, we use Aveeno on him. Thanks.

Thanks Poonam. You are one of the members who have helped me during the initial decisions of pregnancy, delivery. I am grateful for that. Yes, everything now is going great, considerign how things were when I came to this forum for the first time. Wow, you people are riding along the same road as we are. Good. Congratulations on your acheivements :) . You are right about Emolene. Keeping the baby dry, dryign the region by patting - sure. Point noted about overdressing. Glad to know that its not uncommon. Thank You.

Hi Sudha. Thank You. Great , to know that its 'pretty' common in infants. Mine is 6 month old. We've got Aquaphor too @ home. About the stain around eye region, its completely unrelated to this Sudha. It has been (pink mark) there since his birth and it will be there unless we go in for a laser trtmt, talking in cosmetic point of view. Thanks Sudha. By the by, wife sometimes goes out on to the balcony. Idea working :)

Sree.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  6. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Sree,

Is it some kinf of strawberry mark? If so, I believe they go away over a period of time..Anyways, if the Doc is not worried then even you should not be..

Glad that the balcony idea is working..:thumbsup

BTW, Om is a very nice name. It was one of the top three short listed names for DS.

7. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

dont worry abt the birth mark. it just fades away with time. my son had the same it actually looked like a trishul shaped tikka on his forehead ... I was very tempted to name him krishiv due to the trishul like tikka and him being born ard janamashtmi time ..but figuring kirshiv will be a mouthful for americans went with aadit instead....ahh well maybe next time....

just keep the neck area clean and dry and apply acuafor (it helps block out wetness). after each feeding session, wipe off mouth, chin and neck gently. keep the area aerated i.e. dont have too many clothes on him that are tight around the neck.maybe take him out to the balcony too and give him some fresh air too.

dont worry you will have many more such parenting challenges as om grows older. i was in ur shoes 15 months ago and now all I can think of is how to potty train!

8. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Sree,
    The redness on the neck is quite common, DD too had it. Here we were prescribed Neospirin, you can apply the cream your paed has prescribed and keep the neck dry as others mentioned. Once your baby gets good neck support all this will be history.
    Om is a nice name. Good to know your baby is doing well and the balcony idea is working for you. That makes both the parents happy J

9. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Sree .. DD had it and with the sweat in Chennai it developed into a bigger rash and finally I had to go in to a/bs.
    So, keep wiping the area clean with a soft tissue, do not let it retain moisture ..it is tricky as the neck folds will close off, but theres no other choice.
    Do not use ordinary powder in the area as powder gets trapped and will cause more discomfrt.

10. sree3

sree3 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for listing your experiences guys. Have been busy with doctor appointments.

First things first: Redness along the skin ffolds, is not an issue anymore. But i mentioned it to his paed anyway during the visit - he said its an yeast infection :rant and had suggested a cream 'Lotrimin'.

Thanks Sudha. The mark that i talked about it's called 'PortWine Stain' or 'Port Wine birthmark'. We were worried if its a case of 'hemangeoma', but doctors confirmed it is not that and is just a 'port wine stain'. But! , as the mark is around his eye, they were worried if its compressing any nerves internally. We got him checked with an Opthalmologist as well and he says :thumbsup. Next, 95% of portwine stain cases are fine and 5% have chances of developmental issues. To rule this out they referred us to a Neurologist. How ever, we need to keep monitoring, for now everything seems good and to rule out any issues as he grows by, we are asked to come back in about 3 months time for a check up. Just to be sure.

Thanks Pooja. 'Trishul' tikka is interesting. Right, as long as it is harm less, we are fine either way ..with or without it. he he he, good luck with training Aadit and 15 months down the line, I would be knocking here with questions on 'potty training'. As for my son's mark , i mentioned about it to Sudha, please see my note to her. Thanks for the help all along.

Hi Lee. I should thank you for refering me to this section when writing in the birth announcement thread. Hey thanks, yes Om is a beautiful name. I like it when people call him Om. He gets to hear the powerful and sacred syllable Om.

Hi Suman. Wish your Daughter's rash is a history and is no more causing discomfort to the little girl. We were using powder around the area and doctor asked us not to, as it aggravates the situation. Thank You.

Sree.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010