1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bitter to a sweeter relation with PIL

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sweetyk, Aug 6, 2014.

1. sweetyk

sweetyk Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

I want to share how I improved my relationship with my inlaws. There is not a single fight between me and dh regarding inlaws. There is not a single argument between me and mil. I have much more respect for them and my husband is happier with a great relationship all together.

Yes its me who started behaving more maturely and I see all my relationships with in laws and co sister are sweet enough.

1. I have start with a positive approach towards all mother in laws suggestions. Example if MIL gives any suggestions towards bringing up my kid I take it happily thinking that "how much love she have for her grand daughter".

2. Ignoring: There are times where MIL says some comments. I just ignore them thinking that she is elder person and her way of thinking is different from mine and I don't need to take it to heart.

3. When MIL demands money from husband, well its the duty of Son to satisfy his mother in all ways. I let him take his decisions and will not involve in those matters.

4. Short conversations are best. I keep my talk simple and brief. Never gossip, chitchat and talk too much with MIL.

5. Conversations between me and MIL are between us. No matter what she talks I will keep them between me and her. I will not take them to husband, nor co sister nor to my parents. I don't share much details with her either. Keep things simple. That's all.

6. When MIL is here. I give her all respect. I treat her well as she is my guest at home and never expect her to cook, help me with daily chores etc. Id they mess up with kitchen etc, I just TAKE IT EASY. I did all these in there last visit. And believe me we had great time.

All in all. Treat you PIL's well with respect and keep your conversations simple and never complain to husband is what made our relationship sweeter.

love,
    sweety

2. sudharaghuraman

sudharaghuraman New IL'ite

Hi pls advise to maintain smooth relationship with co sisiter:help

1 person likes this.
  3. sunshine1970

sunshine1970 Gold IL'ite

I am sooo happy for you.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. sweetyk

sweetyk Gold IL'ite

Ok here is what I did. When ever I call her I am making sure not to share any information that I know of other family members. Like if I have some details told by MIL I will not share them with co-sister. If she shares I will listen and not reveal that I already know from MIL.

Example: Recently my PIL's bought a bike for FIL. My DH contributed half amount and is going to send them other half as well. Now I did not share this with co sister neither we know if they also contributed or not.

What ever I co sister speaks with me will be between me and her and that will not be shared to inlaws, husband or any bady. I will not even tell my MIL if I called co sis or not. Same with co sis. She has no idea when I talk to MIL.

And more over I will not encourage any talk which is like complaining on other family members. I smoothly divert the topic. I make sure most of our conversations are general topics than family topics.

Hope this helps.

sweety

1 person likes this.
  5. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

I like #4. Keep the conversation short n simple.

1 person likes this.
  6. haduhakki

haduhakki New IL'ite

I manage most of above listed points.Keeping the conversation short, simple and sweet is a challenge .
    Hakki

1 person likes this.