1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Biting while breastfeeding

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by kavya007, Dec 7, 2007.

1. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I am still breastfeeding my 14 month old toddler. Of late he has started biting me hard during breast feeding. It hurts a lot. When I scream in pain he giggles and thinks it is funny. I have tried to tell him No, cry in pain and discourage him. But he does not seem to understand. Does anybody have any ideas. If nothing works I have decided to wean him off.

Kavya.

2. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

A few well placed spanks on his bottom will do the trick! that worked for my sister when her daughter did the same thing.

3. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

I used to hit my daughter oin her cheek, not hardly though, that worked for me. It's awfully when the kid bites you, Gosh!!!!!

4. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Ladies,

Spanking is not working at all :-( My son got upset the first few times. But now if I slap him he does not get upset but he intently studies my reaction. Any other way to deter him from biting me. Probably it is high time I wean him off.

Kavya.

5. Neeti

Neeti New IL'ite

Hi Kavya,
    My daughter used to do the same .I would suggest simply taking him off your breast immediately upon any hurtful action, set him down and not offer nursing again for few minute walk away or tell him he is hurting you..I think he is old enough to understand this .Biting nipple means he is not intrested in feeding or his tummy is full.Spanking or slaping will not work .
    Neeti

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  6. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Kavya007,

You can give him a small toy to hold in his hand while feeding him. If that doesn't work, then I would go ahead and wean him...since he is 14 months now, it is time he was weaned anyways..so I guess you can start on that.

love,
    Aarushi