1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

birthday party cooking ideas

Discussion in 'Birthday Party Planning' started by shri2108, May 14, 2009.

1. shri2108

shri2108 New IL'ite

Hello friends,
    Since yesterday i am waiting for ur reply.
    please help me .............

I need some suggestions regarding cooking for my sons first B'day party.
    I am expecting around 80 - 100 people. I think i need to cook atleast 10kg mutton and 12 kg chicken and some veg curries.(correct me the quantity if u think its more.)
    so how many days before do i need to cook and how should i store.
    his b'day is on sunday in the evening , this month end. As it is summer(95F - temp). i am worried if the food gets spoiled b'coz of heat.

please help me out.
    waiting for ur reply.....[​IMG]

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

You are one brave mom to even contemplate cooking for that many people! Honestly I would go with outside catering, but if you really like cooking a lot I guess you could do it. I'm sorry I have no idea about quantities - havent ever cooked for more than 5-6 people at a time...hope someone else can help.

Vanathi.

3. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    i have not prepared any non veg dishes but have prepared veg dishes for 30-40 people.what i do is make cooked masala of onion & tomota atleast 3 days in advance & freeze it.also,make the starters before hand & freeze them.
    then just a day before boil the channas ,chop all the veg & the salad & put in Ziplock bags .also,make barter for dahi-bhalla ,chutneys,gulab jamuns & fruits icecream a day before.
    that day early in morning i make the papads,bhalla,gulab jamuns.in afternoon all the dishes.by evening i have everything laid on table.
    still,its very stressful & one has to monitor each step.i start getting stressed & jittery right from the day i start shopping for the party.

the rule for quantity i use is a fistful of channas for each member of the party while soaking & two spoon full of veg each when chopping.never fell short.
    pragati

4. umasainath

umasainath New IL'ite

It is true, though the birthday parties are fun, they are stressfull for the host especially if you want to satisfy kids, veg and non-veg crowd. Need some apetizer (economical) ideas plz.

5. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Uma,

For appetizers, here are few ideas which I have done:

1. Bajji/Pakoda : Cut onions/potatoes before hand.
    2. Batata wada: I make the filling previous day and keep. On that day, dip in besan, fry and take out

6. lifeisajourney

lifeisajourney Silver IL'ite

hello shri

first of all birthday wishes to your son asnd god bless himabundantly

i managed to do my first birthday of my DD with around 70-80people

these are calculations and menu i followed

menu

starter frozen spring roll and some juice ---you can buy them in any indian store can just fry them in oil just before the guests arrive and serve them with some bottled juice

main course

lamb curry --- for every one kilo of lamb the count is for 6 people
    so depending upon how many you are inviting you can calculate
    can cook the curry late night previous day and can be warmed before serving

chicken drumsticks ---i used drummettes the fore part of the wings for this you need at least 6-8 kilos marinated and kept in the oven on the day of celebration

veggie curry i did tindoora --- i used frozen ones as they are the available ones in aus and i prefer them as i dont need to cut the veggies just open the pack and cook you can cook it day before and refrigerate the curry

sambhar you can prepare it day before half 3 cups of dal is enough if you prepare sambhar in andhra style the lighter and watery version

salad -- lettuce,onion cucumber ,danish fetta cheese, carrot,one teaspoonolive oil and zest if lemon or you can buy any dressing from the supermarket--need todo it just before serving

papad

for desert

fruit custard the ready made ones with tinned fruit

and the birthday cake

hope it will help you to plan your big day