Birthday Celebration During Lockdown!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by nuss, Apr 28, 2020.

1. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

44E4B16F-A653-4E05-B035-B5EA99CE2D98.jpeg 39B212AA-3DC8-42B4-A392-01EE67519BBA.jpeg D8204AAF-5C63-466A-89A5-C19F493216FF.jpeg D8AF9577-43EF-4055-92A6-058B8454D2D8.jpeg 72CAF087-74F6-48BE-9F82-9F7E90FB9FDA.jpeg
    My little girl turned five last week and we celebrated her birthday with a virtual party!
    She wanted it to be a bird theme but also wanted it to be a surprise.

We tried our best to surprise her with her favorite bird and food/ things she like.
    I sent out the virtual party invitation to our friends and family for a call through zoom 2 weeks in advance.

My son and I decorated the dining area the night before while my husband kept her busy upstairs and put her to bed.
    Decorations: I bought a flamingo party kit from Amazon a long time ago but hadn’t used it so it came handy. I also had a 3D bird garland that I had bought for the nursery but used for a while and put away. We used that as well. My son and I made a flamingo piñata it of cardboard box and a birthday sign, also out of cardboard.

Cake: I baked a chocolate cake with pineapple filling and buttercream frosting with homemade fondant. I also baked chocolate cupcakes with caramel filling (her favorite flavor). My son decorated the cupcakes and I decorated the cake with fondant baby bird, nest made out of fondant and pokies, and a chocolate flamingo (I freestyles with melted chocolate chips).

Food: For breakfast, she requested flamingo pancakes. For lunch, we planned a picnic in the yard (she always wants to go for picnic). We served hotdogs, blueberry skewers, yogurt, and ice cream sandwiches.
    Dinner was also simple- her favorite spaghetti.

I filled the piñata with a bunch of little things- candy, pencils, hair ties, stickers etc. That was the most fun part for her.
    Our virtual party didn’t really work. She didn’t really want to talk. But our friends sang happy birthday to her and she was very happy about that. Her friends called later in the evening and sang again. It was wonderful!

2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

o wow.. that sounds so much fun. You did best. I had my son's first bday here in India but we could not do much. Just simple cake. We were under stress and tired . But I am amazed how you did with limited resources. You were able to follow a theme which is great.. everything pink :).
    best part is cake and pinata.
    You know they say, when life gives lemons, make lemonade.. You did it. You are an inspiration for me.

I have my daughters bday in few months and looks like situation will not change or atleast there will no people. I was l ooking for ideas to make it fun for her without going anywhere and without friends.

Now that I see your decorations, I have learnt few things.
    Can we see pancake pics? I am interested in flamingo shape

nuss likes this.
  3. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Thank you @sanjayruby. Belated Happy birthday to your son. Kids are so easy to please. My daughter was thrilled. She did say that she wished her best friend could come but it was lovely for her friend to video call her.
    Here are the pancake pictures. They didn’t turn out exactly the way I wanted but were close enough and she was happy! Enjoy!
    D0F95F18-CF18-4BFF-B126-7F635E68D1D6.jpeg D97D75EA-B00C-47D7-BF1D-2758374D1635.jpeg

Giri12, Rihana and sanjuruby3 like this.
  4. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

:yum::yum::yum: I m getting some ideas if my daughter's bday comes in similar situ, how can i make best out of it.:banana:

nuss likes this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wow.. you should be declared the Martha Stewart of virtual birthday parties. :grinning: I must have done less than a quarter of this for all the parties put together that I ever did when kids were younger.

Very nice to see the pictures. Enjoy these years. They grow up so fast.

nuss likes this.
  6. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Wow! Impressed with your ideas Nuss! Your kids are lucky.. Belated birthday wishes to your daughter.

nuss likes this.
  7. Giri12

Giri12 Gold IL'ite

Wow u truly hav inspired all of us. Great decoration great theme.

nuss likes this.
  8. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I wouldn’t have done all this if we weren’t stuck at home with two kids. Need to keep the kiddos busy. Amyra was so excited for her birthday, it was worth doing all the extra things. It was the cheapest birthday party ever!

Rihana likes this.
  9. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Thank you!

10. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Thank you!