1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Birth certificate from Indian Consulate?

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by tanya07, May 19, 2007.

1. tanya07

tanya07 New IL'ite

I work here in US and going to apply for I-485 and for that purpose I need birth certificate. I was wondering if I can get birth certificate at consulate.
    And Is that birth certificates issued by the Indian Consulate will be acceptable for immigration purposes?
    I really appreciate early reply.
    Tanya

<!-- / message -->

2. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi tanya,

Sorry for the delay in reply as i saw ur message today.

If u don't have ur birth certificate /no birth registration u can do the following :-

1).Get notarised affidavit of support written ,signed by both the parents or any two blood relatives + Non availability certificate(for non availability of ur birth certificate) from muncipality office.

Note : I heard that they are not issuing non availability certificate now in india for some reasons.So better get birth certificate itself telling that u lost ur original birth certificate/or never registered birth or so.It happened to me,so i got birth certificate done.

2).U can register and get birth certificate from the muncipality office in ur place and make sure that :-

-That the place of birth mentioned in ur passport should match the place of muncipality office from which u r getting the birth certificate.

-The date of birth in the certificate is right as per your passport and other official records.

-And please request the muncipality office to mention the registered birth date and issuance date of birth certificate to the most nearest date of ur birth date possible which is not later than 1year of ur birth date (which may not be possible,but give it a try).What i meant by saying this is, As per immigration rules,if ur birth is registered on or after 1year of ur birth,u need 2 seperate affidavits by any two blood relatives(father,mom,aunt,uncle) and notaraised by lawyer in india.Ask ur parents to carry ur 10th class certificate as proof for ur birth date and they may also ask for address proof that u were from that muncipality.Please check with them.It might vary from place to place.Its a one day job.

.In my case,the muncipality officer mentioned the date of issuance of certificate as sep2006.So i had to get another two affidavits for that , from my parents and notarised by lawyer in india as per my lawyer instructions.

Note :
    ----
    Iam also not sure if they enter the registration dates closer to our birth dates.So it is advisable to have two sworn individual affidavits from any two blood relatives(mom,dad,uncle,aunt) in the following format.In my case my dad and my aunt(dad's sister) gave me the affidavits as my mom is here in usa with us now.And check with ur lawyer too!

AFFIDAVIT REGARDING BIRTH

I __________________ (name) being the _________________ (relationship father, mother, sister, brother, aunt, uncle), to ______________ (FN name), reside at ___________________ (address, including country), do hereby solemnly affirm and state on oath as follows:

I declare that _________________ is my (son/daughter/brother/sister/niece/
    nephew). He/She was born on __(Date)_____ in (town, country) and that ______________ (father’s name) is his/her father and _____________ (mother’s name) is his/her mother.

AFFIDAVITS MUST BE PROVIDED BY TWO (2) BLOOD RELATIVES, (MOTHER, FATHER, AUNT, UNCLE), <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:stockticker w:st="on">AND</st1:stockticker> THIS DOCUMENT MUST BE WITNESSED <st1:stockticker w:st="on">AND</st1:stockticker> STAMPED BY AN ADVOCATE/NOTARY FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF YOUR COUNTRY.

Hope this helps u,
    All the best,
    Vaishu.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
    7 people like this.
  3. tanya07

tanya07 New IL'ite

Hi Vaishu,
    Thank you so much for reply.

Tanya

1 person likes this.
  4. vaishnavilakshmi

Hi tanya,

i dont know if u got the birth certificate work done from india.But just want to inform u that i have edited my post due to latest information i heard.Regarding non availability certificate and affidavits.

All the best,
    vaishu

5. tanya07

tanya07 New IL'ite

Hey Vaishu,
    Thank you so much for your concern. I got it done from India.

Tanya

6. vaishnavilakshmi

Good tanya,

All the best then!

Cheers,
    vaishu

7. nine9

nine9 Junior IL'ite

Is there any format for getting non availability certificate from municipality. From which should we try to get this certificate.