1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Birth certificate for Green Card application

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by Nila, May 25, 2005.

1. Nila

Nila New IL'ite

Hi,

My husband is planning to start the application process for Green Card. The immigration dept. in his office has asked for his Birth certificate copy along with other documents required for Green Card application. Unfortunately being born in a village in down South in India he has not got a birth certificate. The immigration person in his office suggested to get a birth certificate from Indian consulates here, though not very sure whether it is acceptable :?

I just wanted to know suggestions from somebody who had gone through a similar situation during their Green Card process.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2006

2. akalya

akalya Junior IL'ite

INS acceptance for Green Card process

Hi Nila,

My husband actually got a birth certificate issued by Indian Consulate in Washington for some other purpose. It was a certification about the birth date and place as is in the passport.

I am not sure whether INS would accept that in place of original birth certificate in a Green Card application process.

3. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Contact local Municipality

If you dont have birth certificate, you can get affidavit from local municipality where he was born.. Mine was similar case, I provided affidavit (from Tasildar I think) and 2 witness certificates. If you enquire in Municipality you would get more details.

Hope it helps!

:)

4. rishwaana

rishwaana New IL'ite

Hi Nila,
    i am on the same boat. Did u get the birth certificate. if so , what did u do to get it.