1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Birds of rare feather flock together

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by parineetha, Nov 17, 2014.

1. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

It’s been few years now, somewhere down my heart I still think of her, I still send my little prayers for her.

“Give her the beautiful life she dreamt, loved and longed for…..”

Only a small prayer, maybe it could make it through all those stars, all the way to the heavens, all the way to the God’s ears…

I was newly married then; one afternoon DH called me to ask if he can bring a guest home that would stay over the weekend with us. A close friend of his, a senior at office, had to leave on a recruitment drive and there is no one at home to take care of his little daughter. She had lost her mother in a gory accident, since then it’s her dad who manages her all alone. While we decided her stay with us that weekend, it was a little hard for me to muster the words for how I felt hearing about her.

Snatching the mother from a nesting baby bird, making her fall into the dark abyss of grief, how could God let this happen? How could life be so harsh? What did that poor little soul do? I couldn’t wrestle these awful questions myself, how could an 8 yrs old?

But she amazed me with her grace to see life beyond the grief.
    Her ever endearing smile had camouflaged every trace of pain, painting always her cheerful portrait for others to see. Her brimming eyes had unflinching desire to find love everywhere and embrace it all her life, her words had the purest essence of adoration to melt the hearts away. Her innocence had the lusty charm to seize you into her aura of beauty and cuteness; like a reigning princess she rightfully perched on our hearts throne, we simply refused to let her down.
    Nothing but pure adulation I had for the little one who taught me ‘All you need is a bright smile to keep problems away’. I’ve loved the name ‘Chikoo’ and that’s how I called her. Those 2 days were simply a blessing!

While Chikoo kept visiting us every now and then, DH one day broke the news that his friend had found a nice partner and had decided to marry her. She too had lost her husband it seems and has a daughter of 6 or 7 yrs old. Though I was happy that Chikoo’s gona have a beautiful family for herself, in a way I was too scared for her. How my little angel gona gel with the new family? Can she accept a new mother and a sister? Will they treat her nicely? Will she be happy? What if things don’t work out? My anxiety was all around my little Chikoo; after all she was too young for all this.
    DH assured that his friend had taken the decision almost after 6 yrs and Chikoo is the apple of his eye, so wouldn’t do anything that hurts her or without her approval. His words were soothing enough but me the ‘seeing is believing’ types asked him to bring Chikoo home over the weekend.

She never fails to surprise me with her attitude, the maturity beyond her age. My Chikoo had happily accepted the new birds to her nest and was really excited to share her life with them. While she got me their photographs to see also passed me the phone to say ‘hello’ to her ‘would be sister’. Wow! That was a big mental makeup I was seeing from her. So my Chikoo had already started to talk and understand them? I blushed to myself; weren’t these generally done by the boy and the girl before their wedding?
    Hmm..Heart of hearts, I admired their courtship(?) days and more fascinated to hear what they speak. So what were they talking???

Hmm…“Hey did you ask mommy when she’ll take us out for wedding shopping? I like yellow, what color you like? Pink? Ok… Then we’ll buy pink itself. You have clips, bangles, chains all matching & matching? Hmm…
    No..Pa! I can’t take so many so leaves in my school. Will you join my school next year? Daddy will drop both of us to school. We have tennis court there; daddy said we can join tennis class after school. You like singing or dancing? OK…OK...I will also come with you. Hey! Forgot to tell you, I have cleaned our book shelf, you can keep your books in the lower rack. OK eh? The talk went on and on from books to ice creams to cartoons to mommy daddy again…

while I sat there completely dumb folded, eyes welling up in tears of sheer joy and delight, she shook me asking “Neetu ma you call me Chickoo right?, what you will call her?” Even before I could think of, she snapped me again “Chikoo is your favorite name na, then call her also Chickoo...OK?”

I literally had no words, emotions ran so high. Somewhat a proud blissful feeing to see her embrace new people with all her heart, her profound desires to make them a part of her life, the urge she had to bring back the lost love into her life and her dreams to build a home that feels loving and secure. Chikoo started teaching me, love is bigger than fear and in the end Love always wins.

With love, she had found her happy family again.
    Touchwood! They all have understood family isn't always blood; it's the people in your life who want you in theirs. The ones who accept you for what you are, loves you no matter what and the ones who would do anything to see you smile.
    How beautifully destiny has redesigned its way into her life? When I thought God had taken away her happiness, a sudden flicker of hope dawns the realization that even in times of heart break, God is closer than our skin.

32 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

A nice write up Neethu dear. I was just going to log out and saw your post. Some children are matured in young age only. Though sad that she lost her mother at an young glad she adjusted with her new mother and sister. You are right in saying the ones who accept you for what you are, loves you [COLOR=#009900 !important]no matter what[/COLOR] and the ones who would do anything to see you smile.

You are right Neethu dear in saying

1 person likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Neetu,

What a wonderful narration of a little girl's life changes and how she gracefully accepts such changes. There are a few terms that play significant role in our lives and they are attitude, acceptance, expectation and expansion. Chickoo has clearly demonstrated that expanding her heart would provide a lot more happiness to her than narrowing her mind. It is amazing how she made an effort to make the incoming girl feel at home with her offering to do many things together. I wish that acceptance happen in every family when a woman marries a man.

The attitude determines how our life changes forever. It is all about our performance to improve our character and reducing our expectations. I call that personal P/E ratio, a term that is used in Wall Street. We have to work towards increasing the numerator i.e. our performance that enhances our character and reduce the denominator i.e. our expectations in life. Chickoo is a perfect role model for many children.

Viswa

3 people like this.
  4. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

A fantastic learning experience to you and us N'

Love is bigger than fear - what a profound message from you!!!! :)

Changes do happen and are bound to happen or else it would have been named as constant. A great attitude for such a small one. Wishes to both Chikoos.

5 people like this.
  5. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

3 nominations the moment this was published - what more is required to say that this is an excellent write up of the little wonder Chikoo.

2 people like this.
  6. umasivasankar

umasivasankar IL Hall of Fame

nice writeup neetu asusual......watta matured girl she is.....so nice of her that she accepted her new family......so kind heartd girl......may god bless her forever

1 person likes this.
  7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Neetu,

Another blockbuster from u.You have the knack of pickign sunjects that the ilites love.

Chikoo what a name eh ! Yes, what a story. And as u rightly say, God closes one door, and opens many others, it is us who has to be receptive to the new ideas.

Wonderful blog.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  8. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Wonderful one from you Neetu....nice to know there are still some stories of people like this with "Happy Ending" for a "New Beginning".......

1 person likes this.
  9. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Sister Parineetha,

What a heart touching snippet about Chikoos, my eyes were wet and blurred when I completed reading, great narration.

Good wishes to the Little ones to ever be together, SAIRAM

1 person likes this.
  10. Sun18

Sun18 Gold IL'ite

Hi mam,

Since I joined recently, I read few posts only and So, by far the post I most loved here in IL is this. What more a bliss we can have in this world than the JOY we have when we're with children. They're pure BLISS and LOVE.

I don't know how to nominate here. Otherwise, as GG said, I too would have joined in that race.;)

Keep writing posts like this. Also, I find so many very good & best people are here. Nice to have found this site.

Thank you the founder and thank you all, the participants who add more color to it.

by,
    Chitti.

2 people like this.