1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Binaca Geethmala Mey Aapka Swagath Hai [a Repost]

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sunkan, Jan 17, 2008.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Binaca geethmala mey aapka swagath hai:

When I think of the 60’s and 70’ those romantic lilting years, sometimes I wonder if hrishikesh and basu chatterjee have spied my life and brought the film.
    Any way the usual routine of the morning is to finish all my obligations and packing my school bag, lunch I came home to have, so no lunch bag, and getting ready for the 8’O clock, programme of the Ceylon radio, dishing out the Binaca geeth mala with Ameen Sayani with his husky vibrating voice, the minute the programme starts and songs roll out one by one sung by my favourites all are my favourites, lata, Asha, kishore, mohammed rafi, mukesh.

so it was one blasting time for one hour, this passion of mine for music, got me late to the school, and I had to listen to the last song, so will wait and highly irritated with the commercials, as soon as ameen announces the last film and its song, I wait for the song to start and then hurry the one and half furlong of the distance with great scurry like a squirrel, both my calf muscles being strained, but its ok I need to be there.
    The prayers were concluding and my principal a nun, sister Morris, lifted her pointing finger at me, and beckoned just like in guddi, that time no guddi it got later released, and I was trying to break my brain come on, come up with something to tell her otherwise the transistor will become inaccessible and your doomed, and I felt ameen sayani giving a devilish giggle in my mind, I just said shuddaap, by the time I had reached the principals office I was ready with the excuse.
    I hung my face like the soulful one who could never make a mistake, kind and my mind said, wah wah ur going to be given the best award in town [that time I was not exposed to the Oscar kind of stuff]..
    She started; May I know why u r always late, I was in tears and I started off, sister ,my mother is a weakling and I being the eldest have to help her out, I finish the cooking and so by the time I pack lunch for the kids, , I get late coming here…
    And lo she was all pity for me, my my at such a young age u r burdened with so many things, and I was splitting inside holding my self …..The age where u feel so happy u have been able to convince, and get away with it..
    I came to my class and my mates said, hey! what happened, good beating??
    Huh, I said, with audacity of that age mm who in the world has a capacity to beat me up??…I have given a wonderful excuse and will not hinder my programme in any way…the girls also laughed…and ameen sayani also seem to be with folding hands, and bowing to me. Vow a salute to him, keep lilting out great songs man, I saluted and carried on with my day. …sunkan
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--><!--[endif]-->

2. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

:hatsoff I loved reading your memoir. I do remember lsitenign to Binaca geeth Mala. We were quite unaware of it. Once my father's friend told him about it. Then on our family got glued to it.
    It was indeed days of simplciity and healthy entertainment. Now you hear so many channel so much choice. That you dont feel like seeing only.

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear ria,
    those were the golden era in india with all the gems like LATA ASHA, KISHORE, MUKESH, RAFI, MANNADEY, HEMANTKUMAR AND OF COURSE SAIGAL, AND WE HAD WONDERFUL MUSIC DIRECTORS TOO, LAKSHMI KANT PYARELAL,MADAN MOHAN,O.P.NAIYAR TO SD BURMAN AND RD BURMAN all brought about wonderful lilting music, so it is different to hear from binaca, as the latest film and the songs used to be played,i remember joining a competition in my college just by listening to the song once, and it was RANGEELAREY from gambler, with all my friends cheering and the judges were gaping as they had not included The college girls for the event, like gate crashing and singing and getting accolades for that is something to remember, though the prize was a powder box which was of no interest to me, but all the staff,my hindi teacher to my principal all coming upstairs to my class and wishing me was memorable too etched in mind to eraze.AND ALL THANKS TO AMEEN SAYANI AND HIS GEETMALA..sunkan

4. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mrs Sunkan,

I too remember, my parents were a great fan of Ameen Sayani, and by the time I started hearing..it became Cibaca Geet Mala....
    It was a thrill waiting for the wednesday nights countdown of the hit parade....they used to get excited and we joined them in it...
    Now with so many countdowns....we just don't bother...
    :hatsoff to the unforgettable voice of Ameen sayani...and thanx to u for bringing back those memories....

bye