Bill & Melinda Gates Announce They Are Splitting

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Rihana, May 4, 2021.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/03/bill-gates-and-melinda-gates-are-splitting-up.html

Bill Gates, co-founder and former CEO of Microsoft, said in a tweet on Monday that he and his wife, Melinda Gates, will be splitting up after 27 years. The two will keep working together on philanthropic work, which has addressed education, gender equality and health care.

“After a great deal of thought and a lot of work on our relationship, we have made the decision to end our marriage,” Bill and Melinda Gates wrote in a statement that Bill Gates tweeted out.

Hopikrishnan likes this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Even after a lot of work on their relationship, they had to decide to end it. :pensive:

I don't know ... I wish them well and all that.. but it is just so disheartening to read one more such news what with all the Covid thing going on.

Angela123, anika987 and KashmirFlower like this.
  3. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Please don't read and if possible don't post...that will help !

vidhyalakshmid and anika987 like this.
  4. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

if that kind of people who are quite sensitive and responsible people towards society (means responsible in their lives and marriage), they can't stay in a marriage at this matured age, hope of togetherness of a man and woman is vanishing.

Rihana and anika987 like this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Don't know what exactly happened between them as that is their personal but 27 years...that's a lot of time to be around someone.
    Both seem to be nice people, good friends and he still speaks good about her. They must have really tried hard to be together for many years and for sure it could not been a decision taken in the few months..

Anyways..as @KashmirFlower said hope of togetherness is sure vanishing..:(

KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  6. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Usually very wealthy people splitting up (allegedly quite amicably) would cause speculations about their "plans". As well as a thorough review of all their acquaintances of recent times. As for the
    Bill & Melinda demonstrated, yet again, that when there is sufficient wealth, and a large enough house that enables facetime avoidance, people can be TOGETHER as married couple for decades, without much trouble.

If it signals anything, it signals hope for so many marriages where participants hardly interact with one another albeit together in cohabitation. Don't hurry up to get a divorce when the home is filled with polite disregard for one another. Know when to fold and walk away.... was the song. It is significant that their 3rd child just crossed 18 recently, and the parents did the traditional "wait until all children are adults" thing before they split up. Many couples do it this way, because it saves much in legal fees.

added after reading the joint statement on twitter:
    What does "but we no longer believe we can grow together as a couple in the next phase of our lives" mean ?

Someone please answer what does this "grow together as a couple" mean ? In the usual household, "she says, and he agrees" and everyone else in the close family circle look at that and go "they are a cute old couple".

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  7. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

A little saddened by the news. To me , they felt like a couple that had a shared vision, a sense of purpose and very good understanding and respect for each other - relationship goals!

:cry:

To make it light, a convo I had this morning
    I broke this news to DH
    Me: Bill and Melinda Gates are getting a divorce.
    DH: Why???
    Me: Dunno, nothing is certain in life. After 27 years of marriage...
    DH: meaning?
    Me: Our 25th is coming up, what are you planning?
    DH: You dont like my gifts. We cannot travel...
    Me: Yeah, nothing is certain in life ...

And I walked away.

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

OMG, But then in affluent couple, what is there to celebrate beyond a point. 27 years.

2. It was said Hollywood evenings wedding take place: morning they celebrate their divorce. That way this joint announcement by Bill & Melinda only after 27 years and only after their third daughter attained adulthood is a record of sort.

3. But then when further growth is not possible or further growth not expected, according to their philosophy it is better to get “asunder”!

4. What is the lesson to the world of couples? Are they suggesting to
    Maintain separate accounts and have prenuptial agreement registered!
    5. I do not know why Jacquline Kennedy & Aristotle Onasis cross my mind!

9. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Saddened!they were definitely couple goals. but may be they are excited for their next chapters. Who knows.

10. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Looks like it is true, There is something to look forward for at least one of them and with current spouse it can't possible.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Angela123 likes this.