BIG SWITCH - after 10yrs from stressful MNC to teaching profession???

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Srinidhi007, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Srinidhi007

Srinidhi007 Silver IL'ite

Dear friends, I am working in a leading MNC company in a middle management team, with nearly 80k pay per month, Job is too stressful and not sure how long we can face the stressful life, so down the line after 2 or 3 years i need to look out for some peaceful and interesting job, like teaching so i can earn something (though not like my current package), and also take care of my family. so planned to do phd, i have already completed my masters in commerce. Dear ladies, can you share your views, i need inputs!!!!!! i need to start studying for good switch over in couple of years.... plz let me know your thoughts and if you are in same boat share your expereince. BTW am 31yrs old!!!!

2. Srinidhi007

Dear Ladies, kindly share your views, you are the one to whom i can rely on, please help me!!!!!!

3. Mrudhani

Mrudhani Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    My husband is into teaching and is a PhD in engineering. He has been insisting me to switch to teaching after kids as it is definitely less stressful.These days teaching institutions pay equivalent to IT.

I am also sailing in the same boat as you, I have around 5 yrs of experience in IT. But need to acquire a masters before i get into teaching as mainstream. With kids and all its definitely easier when you have flexible timeline job like teaching, but you have to have a passion for teaching most of all.

Also there is performance assessments done in teaching as well, so be sure if teaching is your cup of tea.
    Otherwise there are lot of benefits in teaching field like fixed and flexible timelines, holidays and is a less stressful career.

Lets see what other ILs have got to say in this regard.

4. Rachna

Rachna Gold IL'ite

Dear Frnds,

Me too in same boat.hav worked with a leading bank for 5 yrs.i hav left my job as i m pregnant. i cant continue that job due to the stress involved in it and extremely busy schedules.Even, i wont b able to work for next 5 yrs as i want to tk care of my family now.I am 28. I think teaching profession is best for ladies if we really want to keep a fair balance between personal and professional life...can i do ph.d or any other degree as distance course..(i cant go for classes).Kindly guide me hw can i utilise my 4-5 yrs???

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  5. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sister,

Just take your time, calmly think if there was any "SPARK" in you, any time probably before college, just starting your career or when you felt stressed out of your current working position to pursue TEACHING as your profession and revert back, with your reply my guidance will have value.

This also holds good for those sisters who have joined you in this discussion, best
    wishes...:bonk

1 person likes this.
  6. Srinidhi007

Dear ladies, thanks a lot for your response, i could see many ladies in the same boat, can we do some thing, we need to balance both family and professional life, but these MNC people are sucking our energy and putting more pressure towards us by giving us more pay, but due to family circumstances we are keeping quiet, at some point of time we need to take a call,,, yes, i do have passion towards teaching, because this was my intial aim, but whne this job proifle comes before 10years i have chosen it, now i want to change it, i cannot take up this pressure anymore...tired of it.... shall we do some thing ladies!!!!!!!!!

7. raki

raki Silver IL'ite

Hi..

You can try soft skills trainer ( training like Leadership skills/Negotiation skills/ Personal Finance / Estimation Skills etc).Training institutes give soft skills training to IT companies/MBA students / Students pursuing professional courses.

you can adjust your training schedule based on your family commitments...i.e you need not work 4 weeks a month. even NIIT offers some trainings for Commerce students..you can check if you can train students in those subjects/skills.

Teaching is also a gud option...until you find a teaching job/lecturer job you can teach in tutorials...

You can also try online tutor...

All the best :)

8. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Srinidhi,

What kind of stress are you referring to here? Pardon my ignorance - if you love your work and find the workplace stressful - is it possible for you to switch to another firm?

1 person likes this.
  9. Srinidhi007

Hi Uttara, the stress that i refer is, too much responsibilities that are assigned to singe person when growing up in the ladder, mainly when we are in middle management, we need to take care of people who are reporting to us, complete our projects or assingments and obviously handling additional responsibilities and reporting to our top management! yes, i liked the work place and love my work when i was in lower grades, responsibilities are lesser at that time! now i am unable to handle too many things, still i complete my responsibilities but mind is always stressful to complete the task in given time!

10. rmalathi

rmalathi Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    I am also considering this option after a very busy stint in the corporate world. I have done some homework and found the following options :

1) To teach nursery kids a course in NTT is sufficient.
    2) To teach primary/high school classes, a B.Ed degree would do.
    3) A post grad degree ex:M.Ed or M.Phil, Ph.D etc., is necessary for teaching in colleges, some schools require M.Ed for high school teachers itself.
    4) A course in Special education (offered by RCI), one can choose from Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Learning disorder etc. Schools pay handsomely for such teachers. Else, for those who want to do their bit for the society can chose to teach in NGOs.
    5) For people from IT background, Technical Writing is also a good option. Work from home jobs are also avlble here.
    6) Giving private tuition at home or onsite tuitions (many such portals are avlble) in great demand now.

Hope this was useful.

Cheers & good luck